advertisement

London Grammar - Californian Soil

Vinny

pfm Member
Anyone else playing it?

The record arrived a short while ago and I like it a great deal. Hannah's voice shines through the equally superb instrumentals, as you'd expect.

I hope that they stick together long term - this album has moved them in a different direction to previous stuff, so they are, so far, not short of ideas and inspiration, even if making very best use of the classically-trained voice.

The one thing that spoils the record is the borderline quality of the vinyl - surface noise. If I was convinced that I'd get a better replacement, it would go back...........

Anyone else playing it?

The record arrived a short while ago and I like it a great deal. Hannah's voice shines through the equally superb instrumentals, as you'd expect.

I hope that they stick together long term - this album has moved them in a different direction to previous stuff, so they are, so far, not short of ideas and inspiration, even if making very best use of the classically-trained voice.

The one thing that spoils the record is the borderline quality of the vinyl - surface noise. If I was convinced that I'd get a better replacement, it would go back...........

If you’re talking about side one track one, and side 2 track 3 then it’s actually recorded like that, my copy was about to go back until I checked against the download.

I really, really hate it when bands/producers do that.

I really, really hate it when bands/producers do that.

Speechless!!

Thanks

Blood just short of boiling currently having read your post.
Some half-ass fook-wit must think that that is "clever"?

The rest is not great but acceptable.

@Rob998 - anyway - what do you think?

I like it. Different enough from the preceding albums to not be ploughing the same furrow, but staying in character. Hannah’s voice is the lynchpin obviously, but some nice arrangement going on too.

New Order trolled even harder with vinyl noises on Every Second Counts, at the end of the track it sounds like the stylus scrapes over the label and then bounces back over the track. It gets me nearly every time, even if I’m listening to CD. The sods!

Like it a lot, glad I downloaded it to the portable and listened when out for a walk before spinning the LP otherwise I might have sent the vinyl back :) Fake vinyl noise effects got old very quickly, you’d think that bands/producers would twig that vinyl is now played by a reasonably significant part of the fanbase and to stop it cos it is seriously annoying. What’s the bet some get returned as noisy LPs.

Like it a lot, glad I downloaded it to the portable and listened when out for a walk before spinning the LP otherwise I might have sent the vinyl back :) Fake vinyl noise effects got old very quickly, you’d think that bands/producers would twig that vinyl is now played by a reasonably significant part of the fanbase and to stop it cos it is seriously annoying. What’s the bet some get returned as noisy LPs.

Maybe they’re trying to escape being labelled as HiFi show fodder...

Good Evening All,

Managed to 'forget' it was due out today.

Only in to the second track but that 'fake' vinyl 'noise' on the first track is a p****r, what the f**k was somebody thinking?

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

Managed to 'forget' it was due out today.

Only in to the second track but that 'fake' vinyl 'noise' on the first track is a p****r, what the f**k was somebody thinking?

Regards

Richard

Wait till you hear All My Love (S2 T3) they’ve even thrown in a warp bump noise!

Actully, now I know it’s meant to be there, I’ll get used to it, if I had a genuinely noisy copy I’d be far more wound up about it!

My local dealer has been selling around 50 turntables a week for most of this year apparently! Not all entry level stuff either...
This fake effect needs to go now, very clear for 5 minutes and just tedious there after.

Maybe they’re trying to escape being labelled as HiFi show fodder...
I don't get it - this fakery of noise etc. They are clearly successful and probably wealthy enough now to produce an album that does not compromise their standards in any way and to say to a producer or engineer "We want this to be regarded in 30 or 40 years as highly as DSOTM or Aja for it's content AND sound qualities."
If it is in every HiFi dealership on every demo turntable in the world then a double whammy - as long as the band are totally happy with their own music.

Although I have a couple of their albums, I will not be buying this at full price

Anyone else playing it?

No.

The Wife and I heard a tune from the album a couple of days ago and thought how throwaway it sounded.
Nothing remarkable about the woman’s voice.
Not much tune.
Actively avoiding it/them.

I think she's got an amazing voice which is deserving of better material.
I expect she’ll likely move on to a solo career. I play their albums on a regular basis and this is one of the few released in 2021 LPs I’ve bought that’s not a reissue/special.

To me, Hannah sounds quite a bit like Birdy. Both are classically trained too.
Unless they were to change how they sing considerably, I can't think how their voices would fit outside of what they do now. I can't see either taking on repertoire even broadly similar to Sade, Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell, RLJ, Sevdaliza, or lots of the other successful, iconic lady singers.

New LP from Birdy is due end of month - Young Heart

Her fist was by far her best so far, IMO. Her stuff has got more anally retentive as it has moved on.

I will have a search on YouTube for what has been released so far from the new one - this could be a release to miss.

And as if to request -

I'd buy it for this though - this could become a country classic if pepped-up a bit -

advertisement

Back