advertisement

Too good to be true?

They look lovely, but are they really new? He's playing them in, so they ain't really 'new' now.

Personally, I would want many more photos of them and the boxes and the OTA report etc

They look lovely, but are they really new? He's playing them in, so they ain't really 'new' now.

Personally, I would want many more photos of them and the boxes and the OTA report etc
If they are as described, I’d be seriously tempted... my biggest problem is that I’d have to completely re-jig my second room and change some furniture... they just wouldn’t go in my main listening room.

yes I agree. Sounds more like a bit of an idiot than a scammer. But still an idiot. Finds something which is (supposedly) unique because untouched for 45 years, unplayed etc. So gets them out, sends them off, messes about, "burns them in" etc. Then tries to sell them as brand new and untouched. Daft as a brush.

yes I agree. Sounds more like a bit of an idiot than a scammer. But still an idiot. Finds something which is (supposedly) unique because untouched for 45 years, unplayed etc. So gets them out, sends them off, messes about, "burns them in" etc. Then tries to sell them as brand new and untouched. Daft as a brush.

Unless he has good intentions and wants to ensure they're in full working order before selling them?

Just a thought

Be a bit fairer, he does say that he was advised to burn them in.

Probably if it were me that found them and I had the barest interest in them, so wanted to sell them, I'd burn them in too, to make sure that when I pocketed £1800 (or whatever) it stayed pocketed. He did have the sense to send them for a check-up, presumably before getting even close to pluging them in.

I reckon you lot are being harsh.

He's just come across an estate sale bargain and fancied hearing them, all rings true, especially given his funky valve amps, Emile?

They look brand new.

They do look very clean - not sure about the feet though - not as the normal ones - were they ever original like that?

Unless he has good intentions and wants to ensure they're in full working order before selling them?

Just a thought

Yes as I said, I don't doubt his intentions; it was just a stupid thing to do. There is a significant premium attached to untouched "time capsule" NOS type items. They are rare and unusual. That is completely destroyed by sending it off to be serviced then burning in for hours. It's no longer that special thing that it was. He has completely destroyed that. It's now just a nice example in very good condition.

That is completely destroyed by sending it off to be serviced then burning in for hours.

Approaching 50-year-old electrostatics, not even unpacked - c'mon, be serious :). No-one with sense would have touched them with a 20 foot pole (literally, I hope) without some kind of proof that they were safe, let alone functional. Me included. And that would have had what effect on selling price?

From the description, they have also not been touched except to test and run-in. No servicing, nothing.

I'd read that as him being being careful to only use them at low volumes because they're not yet burnt in - not that he's deliberately trying to burn them in. Seem sensible enough.

Approaching 50-year-old electrostatics, not even unpacked - c'mon, be serious :). No-one with sense would have touched them with a 20 foot pole (literally, I hope) without some kind of proof that they were safe, let alone functional. Me included. And that would have had what effect on selling price?

From the description, they have also not been touched except to test and run-in. No servicing, nothing.

Any vintage audio item for which there is a serious market is worth at least double, usually several multiples more, the vgc price if the items are boxed and untouched. At that price I'd have bought them boxed and untouched as an investment. Makes no difference whether they work. Now they're worthless in that market; they just a nice condition pair of 57s.

The market for speakers of unknown quality is way smaller than that for a basically nos pair.

I'd buy these, I would never buy anything electrical that was untested.

Applicable to speakers of any brand or vintage or not, I don't know, but there are collector geeks for many things for whom, unopened is the holy grail.

In this case, I am unconvinced that it would get the most interest or ££. Maybe most here are looking at a potentially great pair of speakers, rather than collectors' items or an investment. Maybe?

Are you sure?

In the NOS, time-capsule marketplace, yes. The best you can get is something that has literally never been unpacked. So obviously you can't know if it works if it's decades old. Take it out the box to test that it works and you lower the value.

The market for speakers of unknown quality is way smaller than that for a basically nos pair.

I'd buy these, I would never buy anything electrical that was untested.

Yes it's a smaller market, but a higher value one. Demand is less, but supply is even less. You would not buy have bought these untested; I would have bought them if he hadn't taken them out of the box but am not interested now. And collectors of genuinely boxed mint vintage audio gear would pay more than he is asking for those, even though there are fewer such people.

advertisement

Back