advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I got right, was when things fell off a cliff a year ago - I markedly increased my monthly into the managed funds pot I'll call a pension: to the point of near-zero cash saved over the year.

That really has paid off - so far. Am about to have a good hard think about where/what next for this next year.

I'm also still down a fair bit on some separately-held shares, but I'm patient /in no hurry - that'll come right in a year or three or four.

That's it. I have a couple of stocks down 20% and I am thinking, should I buy more? If I thought it was good value before it must be a bargain now!

Big platform price comparison chart: https://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

Though costs obviously aren't the only consideration. I use three platforms and the functionality is surprisingly different.

Thanks. Happy to pay for good service though like most I remain mindful of total cost. HL are at the higher end of the cost spectrum but at the lower end of the service spectrum IME. I hadn't until now considered using multiple platforms.

I hadn't until now considered using multiple platforms.

In my case it's more by accident than design. I've seen it suggested that the FSCS compensation scheme being capped at £85k is reason to spread savings around but I suspect in practice if, say, HL went bust the government would be forced to step in with support anyway.

Bear in mind that transfers between platforms can sometimes take weeks/months which can be a bit unnerving.

In my case it's more by accident than design. I've seen it suggested that the FSCS compensation scheme being capped at £85k is reason to spread savings around but I suspect in practice if, say, HL went bust the government would be forced to step in with support anyway.

Bear in mind that transfers between platforms can sometimes take weeks/months which can be a bit unnerving.

No idea why transfers take so long. HL once dropped by the house to do some market research. The transfer topic came up - all down to regulations apparently.

Good point about the 85K. Thanks.

Could be worse, we could've invested in Elio Motors...
https://g.co/kgs/ZL3Fc9
I personally would never have invested as don't trust a lad that wears a jacket with jeans like that...

featured.jpg

I don’t know much about cars, but that thing has absolutely all of the wrong. A blinged-up body kit for a Sinclair C5...

GSK’s jumped this afternoon. Elliott Management have built a significant position. It’s been far too cheap for ages, could be time for lift off...

Gold miners picking up as well.

GSK’s jumped this afternoon. Elliott Management have built a significant position. It’s been far too cheap for ages, could be time for lift off...

Anyone that went value shopping in the recent dip is doing OK with GSK, AZN, ULVR, GDX, GDXJ.

I do wonder if some of the Crypto profit taking is being rolled over into Gold and Silver as ones love Crypto lots but maybe not betting the house on it just yet....

Anyone that went value shopping in the recent dip is doing OK with GSK, AZN, ULVR, GDX, GDXJ

Yep, great time to pick those up for long term holds. I have no idea where we’re heading next. There is far too much exuberance, it doesn’t sit well with me.

Just noticed my Dell shares have shot up today as well, spinning off VM Ware.

As long as you have liquidity let the others stress about all that...keep loads of cash aside for the bargain hunt hedge :)

Also remember that any collapse in the market will have a support level somewhere...people have already seen the dress rehearsal of that...

As long as you have liquidity let the others stress about all that...keep loads of cash aside for the bargain hunt hedge :)

Indeed. I feel that in this false market, you should actually increase liquidity / cash in order to sleep at night. Yes, it’s an insurance policy which can cost you in a rising market but think every portfolio should hold a % of cash to prevent a forced sale position when the next big wobble arrives.

As a holder, glad to hear it. Let's hope Elliot can identify and develop one or two new blockbuster drugs pronto as Emma needs a bit of help.

I am building a stake in Peninsula Energy (PEN:ASX). Seems to be undervalued from the general suite of Uranium mining stocks. Bought at between 13 & 13.5 Australian cents per share. Will be buying more as long as it stays at this level. They will need to do two capital raises soon if the uranium spot price picks up into the 40s, but the second raise will see them profitable at $42/lb. This is far lower than other miners (apart from the big two). There is expected to be a uranium supply crunch when the new reactors kick in and the recommissioned (ex-warhwead) stockpile starts to decline in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back