advertisement

Headphone amp suggestions

stooge

pfm Member
Hi all,

I would like some suggestions please. I am looking for a headphone amp to run AKG K701 headphones from my NAC72.

Thanks
Jim

I was going to suggest a Beresford Capella, but they look to be discontinued.
The Heed Audio Can amp is also reckoned to match well with the 70x

If you use a Hicap, you can run headphones off the 4 pin output socket, Chord made a converter cable with an inline headphone socket. I could not tell the difference between my converter and a Naim Headline 2 into my Senn 6xx, so I sold the headline.
I guess if you don't use a Hicap, someone could make you a 5 pin converter.

Hi all,

I would like some suggestions please. I am looking for a headphone amp to run AKG K701 headphones from my NAC72.

Thanks
Jim

if your looking at streaming in the future, there are plenty of dacs that include a decent headphone output. Stand-alone headphone amps look over-expensive to me. I looked at this recently and went for an RME ADI fs which covers both without skimping on either.

Hi , I have AKG 701 headhones they are easy to drive and sound fantastic in the past have I've used the ifi ican which was a lot of fun . A Naim Headline 2 with a NAPSC 2 which was not so much fun .
The Napsc 2 is IMHO a bit under powered in that combination and I prefer the original Olive headline my Headline is with Class A for a service at the they are all rather old now but with a olive flat cap that combo really rocks . Flat cap is 24 volts and the Napsc is 18 volts . Right now I'm looking for a 24 volt supply having given up the flatcap because I ran out of rack space , bloody Naim boxes

Frankly you could do a lot worse than a ifi Zen Can .

I do wonder if the Zen Can is responsible for the disappearance of the Rega Ear

To borrow the opening words from a very annoying often played advert on YouTube: Best to way buy a headphone amp... is not to buy a headphone amp!

The word on the web is that the Rega IO has a very good headphone section as it's powered directly by the poweramp section of the unit. I haven't heard one myself so I can't verify whether this really is the case but I'm quite tempted to buy just to find out.

The Napsc 2 is IMHO a bit under powered in that combination and I prefer the original Olive headline my Headline is with Class A for a service at the they are all rather old now but with a olive flat cap that combo really rocks . Flat cap is 24 volts and the Napsc is 18 volts . Right now I'm looking for a 24 volt supply having given up the flatcap because I ran out of rack space , bloody Naim boxes

You are aware the Headline has an internal regulator and operates on 12-13V? It doesn't matter what you feed it, the output transistors are not going to swing more power or be more be more linear. Even if the transistors could handle it the Headline would need a dealer service for bias when the owner switched from a 16.5V NAPSC to a 24V Flat/HICAP. Headline is also just one rail for left/right channels, so a Flat/HICAP is a 50% waste of money. Might be worth it but given the Headline's tiny power output I don't see how it could benefit very much for any transformer bigger than what's in an NAPSC. Still, if you hear a difference that's what you would be hearing, a little less internal resistance and better regulation in the bigger trany, which in a Flatcap might actually be the same one in the NAPSC2, in which case any benefit heard would be your imagination.

I had a post some time back about Headlines and it might have been you to convince me not to trade my version 1 for a 2 :). I need to service mine. I recently replaced the e-caps in my two NAPSC with Kendeil 4700uF snap-ins that fit and I added tants instead of the e-caps on the LM317s as tants is what I had. Now they are mini HICAPS, for what it's worth. But I need to order the e-caps for the headline which - Has been on for 20 friggin' years straight as the NAPSCs have no damn on/off switch!

BTW, anyone know - MJS Witch Hat maybe? - why the LM317s in the NAPSC have an ominous Sharpie "X" drawn on them while all the other regs across Naim gear get a happy checkmark? Did the noisy rejects go into the NAPSCs? :eek::(

One last though - be fun to grab a cheap modern NAP90 and convert it into a Super Headline. I'm too broke, whose up for it?

No I was not aware of that , thank you .
I have tried a Napsc 2 on my Olive headline and the Olive flatcap was better .

This one is sold, but they come up every once in a while, so it depends how long you are willing to wait - maybe even ask here -

[FS] - MYRYAD Z40 Head Phone Amp | pink fish media

Seconded. Superb and versatile little amp; I've TV, radio and pre. inputted and keep my 650s and Elears plugged in to the 2 sockets. Knocked the spots off my Headline, which was powered directly from my 552; that never inspired me to listen to music on my 650a but realised afterwards how good they really are.

wow, lots to choose from. Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to probably try a second hand Rega Ear to start and go from there.

Thirded! Great little unit, don't get enough time listening to mine unfortunately - might move it into the office system rather than the main.

When this was sold, retail was around £400. I've since been told that Myryad tried to price it higher as befitted its performance and facilities. When the company folded, job lots of these were sold off at + and - £100, depending whether it was black or silver. I did a lot of research before choosing a successor to my Headline and narrowed the choice of s/s down to about 2 or 3; all £500 and above. then this Myryad came along so took a punt. Some punt !

I've tried many can amps with my hd600's over the years and they have always sounded excellent, so, within reason, I doubt you can go wrong. However, the best is the Sugden Headmaster I am currently using. Enough power for even the most difficult of cans and a natural sound that tames the brightness to which cans can be prone. It also doubles as an active pre amp.

I used a Cayin HA-1A with AKG's K701's. My memory was with all the options of Ultra Linear or Triode mode it worked really well. Tube rolling options also and they now have a MK2. It will also work as a basic pre-amp. I should have kept it as I think it is difficult to beat it at the price level. But I virtually never use a headamp any more so have ended up with a Meier model just to keep me in the game.

I have a DIY Aclass headphone amp, based on an old Silicon Chip pre amplifier design, heavily modified as a project from another forum.

The K701s have never and still don't, sound as good on anything else I've heard. Seems to be a heavenly match.
On the back of that, I would recommend an Aclass design to achieve the grip, bass and musicality I enjoy from mine.

advertisement

Back