advertisement

Monarchy and Royalty

Let’s not look at viable alternatives to a monarchy, let’s only look at stupid alternatives like then conclude that the monarchy is all good. Trump, Blair or Johnson are not the only alternatives. As has already been stated, replacing the monarchy with nothing is an alternative, as is a temporary and elected Head of State, other alternatives besides three monstrous tw@ts that keep getting dragged up, are also available. Some of them quite reasonable
Whatever the alternatives, it seems to me the real problem would be agreeing how we determine public opinion, then manage the constitutional changes involved in getting from where we are now to wherever it is we think we want to go. Will there be a referendum with political parties pledging to "get the republic done" if that's what people vote for? What could possibly go wrong?

One thing is for sure that the radical lefty anti-monarchist sentiment on this forum is not in chime with the British public, who do still support it in large numbers.

I would be delighted to see the survey you undertook - how many participants did you get to contribute?

Judging by the very poor TV ratings for the blanket obituary coverage cited a few posts above, I doubt they were a very representative sample ....

I would be delighted to see the survey you undertook - how many participants did you get to contribute?

Judging by the very poor TV ratings for the blanket obituary coverage cited a few posts above, I doubt they were a very representative sample ....
Even ardent royalists will have struggled with the level of coverage there’s been. I wouldn’t use the TV ratings to suggest there’s that massive negativity towards the royals. Bear in mind too there’s a few blowhards who end up making this place look extremist. In all likelihood the membership will have broader views than it at first appears. The same is the case with objectivists vs subjectivists...most are a bit of both but it doesn’t seem like it from the vociferous postings.

I’m indifferent on this subject. I’m not a royalist but nor am I a republican. One thing is for sure that the radical lefty anti-monarchist sentiment on this forum is not in chime with the British public, who do still support it in large numbers. The alternative of President Johnson etc doesn’t fill me with much confidence either. Be careful what you wish for.
I think most people, like yourself, couldn’t give much of a toss. We’ve got bigger problems, although the North Korea stuff over the last couple of days is certainly interesting.

Actually I think that royalists are likely to be be over represented in this forum, given the demographic.

“Radical lefty anti-monarchists” is good.

Assuming a monarchy of sorts is required because the alternatives are too awful to contemplate, one starting point could be a benchmarking exercise to identify the main areas of differences between the British monarchy and other constitutional monarchies around the world. I’m sure the political heirs of Margaret Thatcher would want to include KPIs such as total headcount, asset utilization, brand equity and overall value for money. Then take a Zero Budget Base approach to determine which features are worth keeping, and “right size” the rest. McKinsey and Deloitte are there to help with the details.

Very long time ago, my wife, who at that time was a writer for a health/sport club association, was in the UK to write about a club or facility that was being "opened" with facilitation by Princess Diana (RIP)

I thought that as an American, she should not cutsey, due to our historical rejection of monarchy.

Suzanne thought that it would be boorish of her to be the only guest to not offer respect.

Luckily, she was in a back row and didn't have to make a choice.

Surely the lesson of Brexit is that anybody proposing a move away from the monarchy needs to have a fully worked through alternative that can be decided on. Asking the public ‘shall we bin Brenda and her brood and replace it with summat else?’ isn’t going to end well.

Surely the lesson of Brexit is that anybody proposing a move away from the monarchy needs to have a fully worked through alternative that can be decided on. Asking the public ‘shall we bin Brenda and her brood and replace it with summat else?’ isn’t going to end well.
The problem with Brexit is that it didn’t even posit summat else! Strange that the Brexit Queen and Country mind can ignore the alternatives when they’re unavoidable, and only imagine the worst alternatives when they’re not!

Yes, my point exactly. That’s the lesson we need to learn.
Yes, but while Brexit needed an alternative, the monarchy does not. We could function quite well without the role of monarch at all. We could function without a head of state. We might have to invent something to provide comfort in a continuum of some sort, but it isn’t necessary?

The problem with Brexit is that it didn’t even posit summat else! Strange that the Brexit Queen and Country mind can ignore the alternatives when they’re unavoidable, and only imagine the worst alternatives when they’re not!
Well it begs the question, what’s on the programme for the Festival of Brexit in 2022? A big black hole- with Paul Schofield and Holly Willoughby (or Loraine Kelly depending on your preferences) at the event horizon?

Yes, but while Brexit needed an alternative, the monarchy does not. We could function quite well without the role of monarch at all. We could function without a head of state. We might have to invent something to provide comfort in a continuum of some sort, but it isn’t necessary?
But I’d be prepared to bet a substantial sum that any move to abolish the monarchy would in reality be a stalking horse for a power grab by the wealthy right. Let’s not sleepwalk into that.

But I’d be prepared to bet a substantial sum that any move to abolish the monarchy would in reality be a stalking horse for a power grab by the wealthy right. Let’s not sleepwalk into that.
Yes, but any move to abolish the monarchy just ain’t going to happen in any way, shape or form anytime soon! We stand more chance of getting rid of Father Christmas and he has even less of a solid reason to exist!

advertisement

Back