advertisement

Prince Philip RIP

Unnecessary? I turned the radio on this morning and they were still rehashing stuff that was past its sell by date yesterday afternoon.
There are other things you can do. I don't know why you were surprised that Saturday Kitchen was not on.
The irony is the channel that is so berated on here for its content is the one that is being berated for not showing its normal content!​

I turned the radio on this morning and they were still rehashing stuff that was past its sell by date yesterday afternoon.

I’m genuinely concerned by how much actual news is going unreported/unnoticed as this one story, that everyone already knows now, is just stuck on a seemingly endless loop across all UK media. As far as I can tell Ireland is still under a full-on riot situation, covid 19 is still ‘a thing’ and causing massive loss of life in Brazil etc, people are still dying in Myanmar at the hands of their own military etc, yet when I turned on Sky News this morning the death of a 99 year old man from old age was not only the only running story, but absolutely all of the headlines on the rolling text footer below. I just turned it off as it served no useful function. It contained no information I did not already know. It was not reporting today’s news in any context whatsoever.

PS I hate to think what the BBC is like!

There are other things you can do. I don't know why you were surprised that Saturday Kitchen was not on.
The irony is the channel that is so berated on here for its content is the one that is being berated for not showing its normal content!​

You can't fail to be impressed by how unimportant every other piece of news suddenly is. That a couple of main TV schedules, a key radio station and a dedicated news channel can all be wiped of everything else. I would expect and understand plenty of coverage but this is ridiculous.

Like him or not, he was a significant public figure who did a lot of stuff in his long life, most of which was done very much in the public eye. Knowing how brutal the media is, that his gaffes amount to little more than some jokes in poor taste, over 80 years or so, that's a decent strike rate. I rather doubt my public record would be as respectable, in a similar situation.

And some of the comments on this thread, aside from being inappropriate in terms of timing, are basically thread crapping, which is against the AUP. Just saying. If you want to slag him/royalty off, start another thread and don't be sanctimonious about people objecting to the crapping on this one.

A life of total service to his wife, and adopted Nation, well-lived, for a very long time; not bad for a nominally-titled, but essentially homeless & penniless refugee, reviled as an unsuitable 'foreigner', even a 'Hun' well into his 30s by the Establishment despite his Naval service even then. And his Naval service is worth reading about.

We shall not see his like again.

Indeed, and by the time he got hitched, his dad was dead, his mother had joined the Christian Sisterhood, and most of his sisters had married Nazis. He had also lost his home, name, nationality and birthright. And as you point out, he was also an immigrant and as such seen as an outsider. Not an easy start to life.

Like him or not, he was a significant public figure who did a lot of stuff in his long life, most of which was done very much in the public eye. Knowing how brutal the media is, that his gaffes amount to little more than some jokes in poor taste, over 80 years or so, that's a decent strike rate. I rather doubt my public record would be as respectable, in a similar situation.

And some of the comments on this thread, aside from being inappropriate in terms of timing, are basically thread crapping, which is against the AUP. Just saying. If you want to slag him/royalty off, start another thread and don't be sanctimonious about people objecting to the crapping on this one.
Tony is permitted to thread crap his own forum any time he wants.
Suck it up.

Tony is permitted to thread crap his own forum any time he wants.
Suck it up.
Do you see Tony’s post above as tread crapping? (Even if it’s allowable from the owner). I certainly don’t see it as anti the RIP aspect, I wonder whether Sue does...I certainly didn’t associate Sue’s post with Tony’s comment about the blanket coverage.

Do you see Tony’s post above as tread crapping?

It wasn’t intended to be, and I can’t read it as being disrespectful looking at it now. I was tempted to start another thread, but we’ve got two already. I am genuinely concerned that this sort of fawning 24/7 blanket coverage of *any* subject, especially one that has clearly occurred and is past tense, blots other arguably far more important stuff from our view, and from a slightly cynical perspective presents a huge opportunity to those who might wish to bury things for their own political gain. We are living in hugely uncertain times; at the peak of a global pandemic, the shambolic mess of Brexit, the GFA is quite literally on fire, and that is before we even get to the rest of the world e.g. the horrific death toll in Brazil from new strains of C19. I was in no way suggesting the death of Philip wasn’t newsworthy, only that nothing merits the blanket exclusion of news that is happening right now.

Looking at the history of Prince Philip and any other royals could be interesting reading.

Funny how families which conquerred land territory, death, killing and much more hundreds of years back, provide advantages for their descendants, their personality untold.

I hardly believe we have many royals left in say two hundred years.

Seems the nation wasn't grieving quite as much as the broadcasters suspected:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...prince-philip-death-bbc-ratings-b1829504.html

"The earliest available overnight ratings, provided by Barb, saw ITV’s Friday night (9 April) audience decline by 60 percent in comparison to one week previously. BBC One suffered a similar, if less dramatic, loss of average viewers.
BBC Two, which pulled its programming in order to broadcast the exact same Duke of Edinburgh programming as BBC One, suffered a 64 percent drop in viewers in comparison to a week ago."

Mick

This will be milked for all it's worth by the media and the Tories I'm afraid. It's just interesting to see who gets sucked in to all this...

Seems the nation wasn't grieving quite as much as the broadcasters suspected:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...prince-philip-death-bbc-ratings-b1829504.html

"The earliest available overnight ratings, provided by Barb, saw ITV’s Friday night (9 April) audience decline by 60 percent in comparison to one week previously. BBC One suffered a similar, if less dramatic, loss of average viewers.
BBC Two, which pulled its programming in order to broadcast the exact same Duke of Edinburgh programming as BBC One, suffered a 64 percent drop in viewers in comparison to a week ago."

Mick
I'm not at all surprised. The BBC's action was tantamount to saying you won't enjoy any other programme when you should be mourning. Not for them to say, although I would have no complaint about them giving over a decent amount of their air time on just one of their channels for items additional to the news.

Of course the broadcasters are a bit thin on new programmes with Covid hampering their production, as evidenced by ITV scheduling a repeat an old episode of "Frost", but nonetheless, everything, including respect, in proportion.

As for people who think a TV is an idiot box, the subject is clearly of no interest to them so why do they comment.

This sums up my thoughts.

Some of the wall-to-wall coverage from the likes of the BBC is a little OTT but you can’t blame them. Prince Phillip was clearly a significant public figure and as brutal as it sounds, his death carries more weight than most 99-year-olds. People always want to read about the Royals and it will definitely pull in the readers and viewers! It actually makes a change for the main story being about this than Covid...

With all this technology these days, people do have the option of switching off from it all if it annoys them that much...

I'm not at all surprised. The BBC's action was tantamount to saying you won't enjoy any other programme when you should be mourning. Not for them to say, although I would have no complaint about them giving over a decent amount of their air time on just one of their channels for items additional to the news.
I quite agree. Using BBC1 or 2 for the coverage would have been fine, but to broadcast the same thing on 1 and 2, and then as good as put a test card up on 4, was all a bit too much.

Mick

advertisement

Back