advertisement

For any railway enthusiasts here...

My uncle was a train driver, based out of Shirebrook. Saturdays were often spent with him, whilst he shunted loco’s round. Mainly class 20’s and 56’s, but one day I saw an unusual loco in the sidings. Not a Deltic - I wish - but a class 47. For some reason I’ve always liked that class...

Would not be allowed now, of course. Flippin’ health and safety.

For a while I was a volunteer at a local Preserved Railway Line. After some time getting stuck in and actually working, I was rewarded with a little drive in a Class 33. Was lots of fun! Driving OVER a bridge I've driven UNDER to get to and from home was an odd experience. :)

That’s brilliant. I’ve done a few driver experience courses over the years, 25, 40, 46, 47. Not yet managed to get on a 33 though :)

My uncle was a train driver, based out of Shirebrook. Saturdays were often spent with him, whilst he shunted loco’s round. Mainly class 20’s and 56’s, but one day I saw an unusual loco in the sidings. Not a Deltic - I wish - but a class 47. For some reason I’ve always liked that class...

I used to go and stand next to Class 47s (and 37s) on the platform in Colchester just to feel the noise as they started up. That's probably why I got into engineering. And why I'm a bit deaf.

I am loving this thread and folks stories. I did a driver experience day on a steam engine at Didcot a few years back, combined with a visit to Williams F1, a lovely day to be sure.

I am loving this thread and folks stories. I did a driver experience day on a steam engine at Didcot a few years back, combined with a visit to Williams F1, a lovely day to be sure.

My very first driver experience was on steam at the Midland Railway Centre in Tyseley. We were going to get the chance to drive an ex-GWR Castle class locomotive called ‘Defiant’. Only problem was, it had broke(!) so what did they do? They brought in a King class loco and we drove that instead!

Just been looking at the Hattons website. You can spend serious cash on there! Liked how they can do the search for the era I like...lots of choice...

I’ve 42 years on the footplate now. Drove most things including 08,09,20,24,25,31,33,40,45,46,47,47,56,57,66,70, 81,82,83,85,86,87,90,92. Plus lots of EMUS & DMUS, and things if forgot. Unfortunately not a Western or a Deltic though!
:eek: And tell us...is it actually right that I am now sick as a parrott with jealousy, or was it in fact, flippin hard graft?

West coast is correct, based at 5A in old money. The job isn’t particularly hard graft, getting up at a different stupid O’Clock each day doesn’t get much easier though.

West coast is correct, based at 5A in old money.

Used to love going to Crewe in the mid 70’s with my dad. He’d got sales business that way, but we’d have lunch somewhere near or on the station. Saw all sorts, and we always came back via a model shop;)

West coast is correct, based at 5A in old money. The job isn’t particularly hard graft, getting up at a different stupid O’Clock each day doesn’t get much easier though.
Well that goes a long way to explaining the wide variety of traction worked. In my youth also got to spend time at the south end of Crewe station, as well a ex works stuff sat on the depot in my time also a chance of a 33 on the Cardiff train which of course for a northern lad was very rare.

I follow a driver on another forum and he gets to work some interesting turns although the possession work does sound tedious. At least sitting in a modern Class 66 cab for hours on end I suspect is much better than in a draughty rat(25).

My Grandpa was a railwayman - branch secretary of his NUR branch for 30 odd years in Glasgow. 47s were ubiquitous weren't they? And for very good reason. I was never a spotter (but my best mate was - he liked hoovers) but my love of the railway is growing up with blind parents, and that is how we went on holidays and just generally got around. We used to send a trunk to our caravan, or what ever, in advance and it would be there waiting when we got there - imagine that today...

Surprisingly a 66 cab, isn’t much better than a 25. Then again the 66 is one of the most badly designed locomotive I’ve worked on. Railway companies love them ‘cos they start when they’re supposed to, don’t fail too often and do more or less, most things competently. I wouldn’t shed a tear if I never drove another! Don’t get me started on Class 70s!

Respect, sir!

So much amazing traction in that list. I’m particularly envious that you got to drive the AC electrics - I grew up watching 81s, 85s, 86s and 87s pounding up and down the WCML in the Harrow area where I lived. So sad that they are almost all gone now.

Respect, sir!

So much amazing traction in that list. I’m particularly envious that you got to drive the AC electrics - I grew up watching 81s, 85s, 86s and 87s pounding up and down the WCML in the Harrow area where I lived. So sad that they are almost all gone now.

Me as well, Harrow born and bred.

Surprisingly a 66 cab, isn’t much better than a 25. Then again the 66 is one of the most badly designed locomotive I’ve worked on. Railway companies love them ‘cos they start when they’re supposed to, don’t fail too often and do more or less, most things competently. I wouldn’t shed a tear if I never drove another! Don’t get me started on Class 70s!

I gather they had to modify the cab of the 66 as drivers had reported it was that dreadful to work in.

advertisement

Back