advertisement

Prince Philip RIP

I don't have any great urge to slag off Prince Philip but I find the tone policing on this thread disturbing. Some random person on the internet does not share your reverence for the royal family - so what? The thread goes off on tangents? Well, that's just the nature of online forums.

Back on topic, is the wall to wall TV coverage really necessary? I tried to find alternative viewing and saw that BBC4 had scheduled an evening of programmes about the Old Grey Whistle Test. I selected the channel only to find a message saying (something like): All BBC4 programmes are suspended. Please tune in to BBC1 for important news updates. This does not seem normal or healthy to me.

On a lighter note, I like Salford Labour's tweet:

https://twitter.com/SalfordLabour/status/1380542591280812038

Respectful (as all Labour MPs have to be, of course), but there's just a little bit of a playful edge to that second photo:

EyisKudWQAYCRzH

Last edited:
RIP , my dad loved him as he chartered out his yacht Bloodhound to sailing clubs for a £1 a day and he got to sail on her a couple of times .

But there around a zillion other channels around these days drood, and that next flex thingy !
Sure. I'll be hitting Netflix for the next few days, no doubt. It's a point of principle though.

Also, there's no logic to it. Someone tuning in to BBC4 to watch the OGWT isn't going to be offended by the "lack of respect" for Prince Philip. Similarly, why would someone watching the coverage of Prince Philip's death on BBC1 and BBC2 care if other people don't want to?

Anyway, I've made my point and don't wish to derail the thread any further.

Last edited:
Very sad news for the Royal Family. I do hope the Queen is being well looked after by her Children.. it doesn’t matter how many staff you have it’s times like these when family matters most and should overcome any hurdles. Elizabeth is amazing and has seen and dealt with so much, I feel very sorry for her losing her husband.

Rest in Peace.

Sure. I'll be hitting Netflix for the next few days, no doubt. It's a point of principle though.

Also, there's no logic to it. Someone tuning into BBC4 to watch the OGWT isn't going to be offended by the lack of respect for Prince Philip. Similarly, why should someone watching the coverage of Princel Philip's death on BBC1 and BBC2 care if other people don't want to?

Anyway, I've made my point and don't wish to derail the thread any further.
I'd agree in that BBC1 AND BBC2 is a bit much all night no matter where sympathies lie.

Its also a reflection of the 24 hour news coverage that saturates the airwaves these days. Covid anyone ?
Though that probably deserves it.

bbc1 and bbc2....really.

RIP
And ITV, and BBC4 off air. It’s good that those interested can spend the evening watching a programme about him but how can anyone watch four channels at once?

It’s sad, as are all deaths, and worthy of respect, but I must confess these occasions concentrate my thinking on all the anonymous health workers, among others, who have lost their lives caring for others.

A life of total service to his wife, and adopted Nation, well-lived, for a very long time; not bad for a nominally-titled, but essentially homeless & penniless refugee, reviled as an unsuitable 'foreigner', even a 'Hun' well into his 30s by the Establishment despite his Naval service even then. And his Naval service is worth reading about.

We shall not see his like again.

BBC 10 o'clock news opened with a series of pics of Phil. One was him on a bike holding a polo mallet.
Bike polo is rather cool and no matter if he was on his way to the horses or playing bike polo that's rather ace

Btw BBC6 music are also presenting a subdued, respectful program tonight. Events of this magnitude don't happen very often. What i've seen on the TV has been manly informative rather than sycophantic.

A life of total service to his wife, and adopted Nation, well-lived, for a very long time; not bad for a nominally-titled, but penniless, refugee, reviled as a 'foreigner' well into his 30s by the Establishment even despite his Naval service even then. And his Naval service is worth reading about.

We shall not see his like again.
Something positive and unexpected might come of this- the features of his childhood that were previously airbrushed out of his story, like his mother’s psychotic illness, the path she chose in her later years, his part- German ancestry and his experience as a stateless person will in 2021 have resonance with a hell of a lot of people. Some people in power lead a life that is essentially extractive and really deserve no honour in death and I won’t name them here. His life is very different from that. I hope that some politicians, apart from extending their sympathy will keep their own personal interests back from these events.

advertisement

Back