advertisement

DACS with less than 2V output gain?

They are directional? Could you explain that to me please, if you don't mind?

Not simply :)
I had always asssumed that they were just resistors, but they aren't. I looked them up on good ol' Wiki and all was revealed - they are simple, but not that simple, but there are different designs/principles.
This was flagged-up to me a while ago here, as someone actually had their attenuators the wrong way round. I am pretty sure Jez sussed what was up.
Because they (usually) have a male RCA one end and female the other, they are meant to be fitted at one end or the other of an IC - changing the end, changes their "polarity". So far as I am aware, both types are available.

Ah. Ok. I think I'm on the right track. I was wondering if the resistors themselves are directional. I believe they become so once burned in. I'm just hooking up a 1-setting only attenuator without a switch involved. Just a pure voltage divider.

I had an Audio Note DAC with a 3.0V output , which was too much. They sent me a wiring diagram so that I could change a resistor near the RCA sockets.

I’m going to try the Calyx Coffee that Fergus kindly offered. 1.3V from the headphone out - should do nicely. :)

Not simply :)
I had always asssumed that they were just resistors, but they aren't. I looked them up on good ol' Wiki and all was revealed - they are simple, but not that simple, but there are different designs/principles.
This was flagged-up to me a while ago here, as someone actually had their attenuators the wrong way round. I am pretty sure Jez sussed what was up.
Because they (usually) have a male RCA one end and female the other, they are meant to be fitted at one end or the other of an IC - changing the end, changes their "polarity". So far as I am aware, both types are available.

Ah. Ok. I think I'm on the right track. I was wondering if the resistors themselves are directional. I believe they become so once burned in. I'm just hooking up a 1-setting only attenuator without a switch involved. Just a pure voltage divider.

It's not so much that they're "directional" as the attenuator circuit has an input side and an output side, even with just two resistors.

^1 exactly that.

Used the 'wrong way round' does not provide any attenuation, it just loads down the source a bit (which it should shrug-off) and adds a little series impedance.

So such passive attentuators are 'directional' only in the sense that used correctly, reduces signal amplitude on the output; used incorrectly, they wont!

Agree - not necessarily intuitive as a black box which is wholly passive and inherently 'linear',; but a nice little logic puzzle.

advertisement

Back