advertisement

Ebay audio kits - opinions

The SOA chart for the MLJ3281/1302 looks similar to the 2SC5200/A1943, so I would stay under 50V rails and make sure the heatsinks are big.

I fired one channel up today on 28V rails and it worked OK, the DC offset does drift alot at startup but the built-in protection circuit comes in at around +/-600mV.

I've read on DIY Audio that it has low PSRR so a regulated supply might work well, I am thinking about using a low drop out LT1083

The SOA chart for the MLJ3281/1302 looks similar to the 2SC5200/A1943, so I would stay under 50V rails and make sure the heatsinks are big.

I fired one channel up today on 28V rails and it worked OK, the DC offset does drift alot at startup but the built-in protection circuit comes in at around +/-600mV.

I've read on DIY Audio that it has low PSRR so a regulated supply might work well, I am thinking about using a low drop out LT1083

I would expect the main cause of the PSRR will be in the early stages, which only need low current, while teh output devices won't matter so much. So simply adding a second small rectifier bridge and pair of modest caps to power everything except the output pair may give many of the benefits of regulation at modest cost.

I know it may seem boring but if I were to buy an amp PCB from eBay I'd get something TDA7293 based. I believe a number of these ICs were used in parallel in a Mark Levinson power house and also in some Linn amps.

This for example - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=131605699788

The trouble with eBay kits is that I doubt they refine the designs. They probably just make sure it produces sound with no horrible buzzing noises then ship. A good design will be measured and tweaked for ideal grounding and stability.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've bought the A1 kit just to see if it works.

If you're building your first discrete amplifier I don't think you can wrong with these, I've not seen any dodgy parts in any of the LJM kits I've bought, they work fine and are reputed to sound very good. I have a pair and they work fine, they could drive my 5 ohm dummy load to 100W before clipping on 32V rails, I've not done extended listening yet as the FAST amplifier I am making with them isn't finished yet.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=221357376090

The designer LJM frequents DIYAudio and his designs seem to stack up to scrutiny reasonably well.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Any one with updates to their Ebay/aliexpress/banggood source amplifiers in the last 6 years?

One thing I've seen that has caught my eye is the use of point-to-point wiring or "scaffolding" with chip amps, not sure what advantages it confers, but it looks different.
I don't think it's a good idea to mount electrolytic capacitors onto a hot heatsink...

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

advertisement

Back