advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

I got rid of everything about two years ago and ended up with Spotify and a muso.

Do I miss it? Yes I miss the clear highs and the solid lows. But in truth not much. I ring fenced the proceeds just in case. I now look on fleabay and PFM classifieds and run out of patience with myself very quickly. I’m not ready for a return yet. I kept 3 albums and the original Pulse Concert CD. Nothing else.

I cannot stop wandering through pfm though it’s still good fun.

Good luck stay safe.

I own a fairly modest system and had big plans of what I was going to do when I had the money to upgrade. As I’ve got older I don’t really feel the need to upgrade. I also decided recently that I like where I live, I don’t need a bigger mortgage to live in a detached house like our friends, especially as the time comes for our kids to move out. I just want more time to walk the dog and to listen to music.

Cheers BB

I recently bought a Unison Research Triode 25 integrated amp out of curiosity; I'd fancied trying it for years. It has a built in DAC, which I didn't expect much from. I discovered two things. First, that the amp has a really surprising synergy with vintage Tannoys (I think the 6 Ohm tap is one reason for this). Second, that the DAC is not bad at all. Certainly not as good as my DAX Discrete, but really enjoyable. And I realised that I could easily live with a Macbook Air, this integrated amp, plus some affordable speakers from the 70s with a few tweaks. That would be very enjoyable indeed.

I'm not going to though. In fact I've since bought another pair of speakers and I'm intending to rotate two systems. But I fully understand the desire for minimalism.

I do think there is a happy medium that doesn't involve throwing it all away for a Bose. And I think that comes from a very good integrated amp with built in DAC.

Interesting thread and lots of comments I can sympathize with.

Here are mine, in no particular order:
  • I currently own a 40k-ish system (UKP) and sometimes think about downgrading as well, as the amount involved makes me bit nauseous from time to time. It's also a burden to drag around in life and worry about if I am being honest (as someone having otherwise strong minimalist leanings) - "The things you own end up owning you."
  • The obvious thing regarding downgrading for me would be to fuse the Accuphase pre, power amp and DAC into an integrated amp. I wouldn't touch the Whest phono pre, as this sounded significantly better than the Accuphase phono card. (Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the Accuphase DAC vs. the DAC card)
  • I agree with those who said that streamer tech should stay out of expensive HiFi gear - a DAC is OK IMO but ideally should be replaceable (as with Accuphase) but I'd draw the line with everything involving something wireless and/or network related. As for streaming, I can recommend a Raspberry Pi 4 running volumio.
  • I read "goodbye things" from Fumio Sasaki and I enjoyed it. He certainly takes it to an extreme, but it's a worthwhile read IMO. I also think this is very good, and much shorter: https://www.youhavetoomuchshit.com/download/You_Have_Too_Much_Shit.pdf
To the OP, out of interest: what's your system? ca. 100k UKP will get you an impressive system, regardless of what your current attitude towards it is.

I’ve been up and down the ladder (not as high as a lot of people however). Naim Atom is a cracking all in one that I had but it can be a bit flaky (reboots and stuff) so I got rid of it and went back to my true love of a CB Nait 2 fed by an AURALiC Aries Mini into some new Spendor 4/5 speakers. A Chord Qutest was recently added to finish it off. Also have a Meridian 206 Delta Sigma and Rega RP6 on the system for spinning things.

A small system that does all I need and want.
Do it and don’t look back.

Also, as someone who is in home office since March 2020 (with some interruptions in late summer/autumn), I also noticed that I got more obsessed with my surrounding and thinking about what needs to go.

Perhaps it's a somewhat normal reaction.

Although not driven by guilt, finances, need for space etc. a couple of years ago I got rid of an oil rig of Mana Naim / and LP12 etc.
I replaced it with a pair of Kii Threes fed AIFF files from an iMac (via Rpi/Digione)
Not only did the box count diminish dramatically, but it sounds far, far better, and positioning flexibility means I can use them to little detriment in any room I want to, big or small.

I do have a Muso but there is no way on earth that it could replace the "big" system (just doesn't sound good enough IMHO), whereas the Kiis both sound better and take up far less space/gather less dust. Also in contrast to my oil rig, they get fired up everyday when we watch TV. Systems like the Kii3 / Dutch & Dutch 8c are hardly cheap, but they provide serious high-end performance in a family friendly format. You could also try the Kef LS50 wireless, but while super VFM, they got me nowhere near the performance of the Kiis/D&D.

I know I keep saying this & many will disagree but I do think active speakers are a game changer. I just enjoy listening to music through my current speakers, they provide insight & detail without pulling the music apart.

If doing a big box count reduction this is how I would (& did) do it. Built in DACs are perfectly fine & very cost effective; if the tech becomes obsolete you can always plug in a stand alone unit into a spare input.

Having just come back after a ten year holiday from Hifi my credibility is zero. But the option of having an infinite source of music that can be accessed pleasantly with little kit has been a real eye opener. I wonder how much this is is driving system change, if only subliminally?

I now have the best hi-fi system I’ve ever assembled... and cranky 64-year-old ears.

I have three top notch bicycles, easily the nicest I’ve ever owned... and an engine that is no longer worthy of them.

As we grow older we can remain happy (I am!), but only if we succeed in adjusting our expectations of ourselves.

Precisely what this has to do with the OP’s position I’m not sure. Maybe the marbles are on the way out too.

Vin, thanks for sharing the link. Good little read. Straight to the point.

Interesting thread and lots of comments I can sympathize with.

Here are mine, in no particular order:
  • I currently own a 40k-ish system (UKP) and sometimes think about downgrading as well, as the amount involved makes me bit nauseous from time to time. It's also a burden to drag around in life and worry about if I am being honest (as someone having otherwise strong minimalist leanings) - "The things you own end up owning you."
  • The obvious thing regarding downgrading for me would be to fuse the Accuphase pre, power amp and DAC into an integrated amp. I wouldn't touch the Whest phono pre, as this sounded significantly better than the Accuphase phono card. (Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the Accuphase DAC vs. the DAC card)
  • I agree with those who said that streamer tech should stay out of expensive HiFi gear - a DAC is OK IMO but ideally should be replaceable (as with Accuphase) but I'd draw the line with everything involving something wireless and/or network related. As for streaming, I can recommend a Raspberry Pi 4 running volumio.
  • I read "goodbye things" from Fumio Sasaki and I enjoyed it. He certainly takes it to an extreme, but it's a worthwhile read IMO. I also think this is very good, and much shorter: https://www.youhavetoomuchshit.com/download/You_Have_Too_Much_Shit.pdf
To the OP, out of interest: what's your system? ca. 100k UKP will get you an impressive system, regardless of what your current attitude towards it is.

advertisement

Back