advertisement

Domestic vaccine passports

Would you support domestic vaccine passports?

• Yes

Votes: 48 46.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 10 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am really struggling to see any sense whatsoever in opening early - I just cannot stand the thought of yet more lockdowns, so, I say yet again, can we just get it absolutely correct - please.
The arguement re vaccinations can do X, Y & Z - hands up those who want to be responsible if it just goes totally wrong from opening early? We have a plan, it appears to be working, and plenty are being vaccinated against current know virus strains.
As of today though, plenty (52%) can still A - get it & B - pass it on and let it form yet more mutations. https://app.everviz.com/embed/QlJi7RsFq/

^
The argument being though that the vast majority who would in the past have become ill from Covid and sadly die have now been vaccinated.

I’m sure they’ll stick to the roadmap though and we’ll get some form of normal by June 21. Whatever that normal might be is unclear but it probably involves Covid passports in some places, lots of testing and some mask wearing and social distancing, and that will probably be the case for a while.

As long as we open up and don’t go back into lockdown again, that will be tolerable as much as I moan about passports, tests etc.

I do hope for a return to the old normal someday though!

The argument being though that the vast majority who would in the past have become ill from Covid and sadly die have now been vaccinated.

And how about the non vaccinated spreading it and new variants that can kill many more / vaccinated or not?
Really - think it through.

Im out - enough.

And how about the non vaccinated spreading it and new variants that can kill many more / vaccinated or not?
Really - think it through.

Im out - enough.

All the evidence shows that the vaccines we currently have work against all the known variants. Any vaccines can be tinkered if a variant becomes more resistant to a vaccine. We can spend our whole life worrying about mutated viruses. It’s what they do. Flu does the same. We’d never be out of any of this if we went along with your argument. Really - think it through.

I’m out - enough.

Not everybody will be though, even in the UK (unless you favour coercing people in some way, which your comment suggests you don't).
I don't favour coercing them either, but wouldn't give two hoots if the idiots were marginalised.

db163b6e6d8a2da89f56e33321e0287ef7017b67.jpeg

AIU the vaccine doesn't mean you can't get/ have covid ( rather it just makes it much less likely to kill you)so what is the point in a vaccine passport?
It's still possible to contract covid but AAIUI the chance of doing so is very much reduced.
As far as reducing spread, well worth restricting access to public gatherings where covid might spread, to those that have been vaccinated.

AIU the vaccine doesn't mean you can't get/ have covid ( rather it just makes it much less likely to kill you)so what is the point in a vaccine passport?

It's possible that you're less likely to pass it on.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00450-z

"Preliminary analyses suggest that at least some vaccines are likely to have a transmission-blocking effect. But confirming that effect — and how strong it will be — is tricky ..."

Surely a rapid test 'on the door' would be far more effective that way you limit public gatherings to people who don't have it.

Surely a rapid test 'on the door' would be far more effective that way you limit public gatherings to people who don't have it.

Maybe. I think that the false negative rate is high with these tests. I don't know how much the vaccines reduce your chances of getting the disease without symptoms, and if you do, how contagious you become. You could be right, I can't say.

I think it takes 30 mins or so, though. Not sure that’s feasible for a door policy.

Yep it's supposed to be 30, depending where I go some require I wait the full 30, others vary. You can see the line on the test within the first minute or so though and some only wait that long.

I'm not sure there's much confidence in these lateral flow tests, at least that's the feeling I get, that they're only doing them because they have to.

I think it's about 58% accurate, only picks up high viral loads which normally present between days 3-7 or thereabouts, testing 2x weekly may well catch it as was my daughter who was asymptomatic and tested negative on the Sat and positive on Tuesday in work? Has a specificity of over 99% so very few false postives

Yep it's supposed to be 30, depending where I go some require I wait the full 30, others vary. You can see the line on the test within the first minute or so though and some only wait that long.

I'm not sure there's much confidence in these lateral flow tests, at least that's the feeling I get, that they're only doing them because they have to.

a marker on the first line isn't indicative of a positive test tho, need both to show pink/red or it's a void test

advertisement

Back