advertisement

Decanter set (whisky, brandy, bourbon etc)

Decanters can be lovely things, but I tend to keep stuff in the bottle to remind me what I'm drinking.

I'd only really use it for a supping whisky / bourbon etc... All my cask whiskies will always be in their original bottles etc

I may be mistaken, modern cut glass crystal is lead free, but vintage decanters will almost certainly be lead glass. They're ok for serving but shouldn't be used for long term storage as the lead can leach into the contents. Seems like a good excuse to finish the bottle!
It’s not in my decanters long enough...

Yes, I don't imagine that you have to keep the vegetable oil in the kitchen in its plastic bottle any longer than you want to!

Vegetable oil? How dare you... :D Rape Seed and Olive oil, and no haha ;) Olive oil is in a JW Blue bottle and the Rape Seed oil is in a Woodford Reserve bottle :D

Vegetable oil? How dare you... :D Rape Seed and Olive oil, and no haha ;) Olive oil is in a JW Blue bottle and the Rape Seed oil is in a Woodford Reserve bottle :D

They are all vegetable oils. Most generic vegetable oil in supermarkets, is rape oil - just check the label.

Decanters and all Cut Glass regardless of quality go for nothing at Auctions these days. My father had loads, won as prizes for sales targets, when he worked for Philips. Most had never been used - saved for ever for best as that generation used to do. When we cleared the house they made nothing at auction.

Some bottles are quite good in their own right
the new Arran style or what about Glenturret part
owned by Lalique.

I've got one of those (although mine is the peated edition) and it's almost worth the price just for the bottle.

I used to decant brandy and sweet anis at Christmas into a square cut and ship's respectively. They were free pour to all visitors and there was no worry of the drink spoiling!
Have not done so for several years now. Not even sure where those decanters are hiding...

Next you will join the “Nuke it in the Microwave to bring it up to temperature” Club
Bloody right I am. I was once in the Alps on a climbing holiday, it was bitterly cold. The wine was freezing cold and tasted vile, it took a turn on the gas stove until it was lukewarm and we mixed it with the cold stuff until it was around the upper teens and fit to drink.

Some bottles are quite good in their own right...

Agreed. Hibiki bottles are particularly nice/suitable.
231431-big.jpg

advertisement

Back