advertisement

DIY staining or oxidization of aluminium - when anodozation is not an option?

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
I don't have the guts to faff about with the liquids involved in anodization so thought that fair to good results may be achieved by staining or oxidising the front of my DAC + its small buttons. I could well be wrong, but I thought that simple engine paint may be an option or that I could immerse the front + buttons in a non-toxic oxidising solution?

Aluminium oxide is a white powder, so simple use of an oxidising agent is not an option. Anodising is simple enough - very clean water with just a trace of something conductive - frequently an acid. I have never been involved with aluminium anodising so I do not know how different colours are obtained, but with tantalum, it is determined entirely by voltage

As for painting - you would need to select paint(s) carefully to get good adhesion to aluminium.

It is the acid and heating aspect of anodization that makes me uneasy. I am after a black matte coating - first I will be able to test the effect on one of the handles from my FirstWatt F4 project and see, then I will stain my Poul Ladegaard sleigh and base and finally, the DAC.

Anodisation does not need heat and the amount of acid required is minute.

I can't remember specific numbers, but the anodisation baths that are used for anodising tantalum cap's have a conductivity of a few tens micro Siemens - a very, very few ml of conc. acids in a few gallons of very pure water.

I was told long ago that coloured anodising of aluminium parts is achieved using dyes and that is so - I just checked Wiki - Anodizing - Wikipedia

I do not believe that aluminium can be chemically blacked, but that would be ideal if it can.

Yep. Etching primer first and then that satin black (matte) engine paint. I'll give it a go when I have been able to shop for the two items. Thanks!

Yep. Etching primer first and then that satin black (matte) engine paint. I'll give it a go when I have been able to shop for the two items. Thanks!
That's what I used when making the cases for my DIY amps, and they looked pretty decent. They will scratch if heavily mishandled, but in normal use they have been absolutely fine. I have also used white Letraset to good effect for labelling inputs on the rear.

advertisement

Back