It really is personal
Just listen & look

for me personally

Build quality . Luxman / Accuphase. Then Yamaha

Looks. Yamaha/ Luxman. Then Accuphase

VFM. Yamaha. Luxman. Accuphase

ur money ur choice

All three are excellent
I thought it was about the sound, first and foremost.

1 - Do you know any HiFi shops that have been open for the best part of a year and a bit? I don't know about you but I've found it quite difficult to demo anything, so yep, pretty hard.

2 - If it were merely a case of demoing and not asking for opinions then forums like this would be rather obsolete wouldn't they? The original question was intended merely to gather immediate opinion whereas the resulting debate has either been useful or not, depending on your perspective. I have found it so.

So no, it's not merely a case of 'you just need to listen'. Genius.
Plenty of hi-fi shops have been open, quite a few offer home dems. In the last year I have quite easily managed to arrange a home demo of speakers & amplification. Many dealers are still open for business.

I appreciate that Accuphase is not stocked everywhere (far from it) but I always take a pragmatic approach in that if I cannot demo an item I just look at another brand.

I have found this forum helpful for garnering opinion but ultimately it is all down to the individual to make a decision as to which gear he/she buys.

Plenty of hi-fi shops have been open, quite a few offer home dems. In the last year I have quite easily managed to arrange a home demo of speakers & amplification. Many dealers are still open for business.

I appreciate that Accuphase is not stocked everywhere (far from it) but I always take a pragmatic approach in that if I cannot demo an item I just look at another brand.

I have found this forum helpful for garnering opinion but ultimately it is all down to the individual to make a decision as to which gear he/she buys.
No Accuphase dealers in Scotland which I was surprised about and ultimately ruled them out for me at the moment, still on the must audition list.

No Accuphase dealers in Scotland which I was surprised about and ultimately ruled them out for me at the moment, still on the must audition list.
I’ve always liked the idea of Accuphase & a number of ex naim enthusiasts seem to take to the brand. Obviously the pricing compared to Japan is an issue; I do think the old fashioned appearance counts against them & ‘gold’ is not an easy colour to integrate into the home.

What you should realise, is that we all base decisions on more than one factor. sQ is obviously one, there will be many others. Those that say SQ is the one and only driver are fooling themselves.
I know. It's just the the poster I quoted did not rank by SQ - just looks, build quality and VFM.

I’ve always liked the idea of Accuphase & a number of ex naim enthusiasts seem to take to the brand. Obviously the pricing compared to Japan is an issue; I do think the old fashioned appearance counts against them & ‘gold’ is not an easy colour to integrate into the home.
No more difficult than olive green :D

The gold is off putting but until I see one in the flesh and find out if it has decent “knob feel” I’ll reserve judgement :) They do have a much more comprehensive range of kit but nothing serious for streaming to compare to stuff like dCS/Lumin etc. that I’ve seen, their DSP units look interesting though.

I thought it was about the sound, first and foremost.

indeed
But choice comes from many aspects
Sound - looks - system match - VFM - features - after service/ reliability/ depreciation, and indeed that Want factor/ must have.

The gold is off putting but until I see one in the flesh and find out if it has decent “knob feel” I’ll reserve judgement :) They do have a much more comprehensive range of kit but nothing serious for streaming to compare to stuff like dCS/Lumin etc. that I’ve seen, their DSP units look interesting though.

Accuphase knob feel is second to none!... seriously though, the amps are very tactile and the volume knob is as smooth as silk and the source knob has a reassuring clunk when turned .
Also, anyone who has seen my kit in the flesh have never been turned off by the shade of gold.
My sister says the remote is like holding a gold bar
Mac

advertisement

Back