advertisement

Well produced recent albums

Has anyone heard Nick Caves Idiot Prayer: Nick Cave Alone at Alexandra Palace? Just Nick and his Piano, Socially distanced approved.

It’s a Clean, ambient with a full rich sound. With Nick reinterpreting his catalogue with a very unique approach to the arrangements for solo piano.

From Exile by the Menzingers. Big, bold and luscious sounds where everything feels closely mic’d. London Drugs will give your system a real workout - your hifi too :D

How's this for a theory? Music production quality follows the means of reproduction. Hence:

1960s - Vinyl cut very loud to offset low-powered dansettes and AM radio.
1970s - Music production improved significantly to sound good on ever-improving HiFi and FM radio. DSOTM anyone?
1980s - The Sony Walkman puts the mass market back to mix-tapes. Do you really need that last ha'peth of quality?
1990-2010 - Ipod only uses sampled rip files. Enough said.

However, with the advent of better bit-rate streaming, you would expect music production to start a 70s style my-album-sounds-better-than-your-album war again. But is this really happening, or has cost cutting just killed any semblence of quality?

Just a thought...

The new pressing of Pearl Jam unplugged sounds pretty amazing

Ah, really? Might need to pick it up then. Have had a dodgy copy in my collection for years, but can’t say it sounds amazing.

If the official PJ release sounds anything like the Alice in Chains unplugged vinyl, it’ll sound immense.

The band Low have very good production. Particularly on the last few albums.

Random Access Memories is still the best produced album I’ve ever heard.

Bill Callahan - shepherd in a sheepskin vest........mmmmmm

also just bought Soul Station by Hank Mobley (blue note reissue).......even more mmmmmmm

Most of my new purchases are Jazz-related, and they all tend to be pretty good SQ-wise, both on vinyl & CD. Here's a few recent ones I can recommend:

Patchwork Jazz Orchestra - The Adventures Of Mr Pottercakes
Alfa Mist - Antiphon
Tom Green Septet - Tipping Point
Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse
Matthew Halsall - Salute To The Sun
Nick Walters and Paradox Ensemble - Implicate Order
Kinkajous - Hidden Lines

Currently working my way through this list on Spotify, superb stuff, thanks.

The best produced LP I've purchased in the last 12 months has to be Uniting of Opposites "Ancient Lights", wonderful album.

TS

advertisement

Back