advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

Marantz 8B:

marantz-8b-main-front.jpg.20c3876544b045adc32ebd2396ebee84.jpg

Marantz 9

model9replica.JPG

Beam Echo Avantic

Beam-Echo-Avantic-DL7-35-Power-amps-x-2.jpg

This could be controversial, but one of my top 5 would be a Beomaster 4500 (with the CD and tape next to it of course):

7aeeca24-0b78-4852-967b-2f9f458353cd.jpg

I remember going round to my oldest friends house, and her parents had a B&O system, I'm pretty sure was the one BeoSystem 5500 with the large 'remote'. Looked amazing like a spaceship against my parents Denon Midi system and the wafer thin CD tray.
Sounded pretty terrible though connected to some classic Celestion Dittion 15s mounted in the corners of the room...

2007.132.A-B_01_e02-Large-TIFF_4000-pixels-long.jpg

I remember going round to my oldest friends house, and her parents had a B&O system, I'm pretty sure was the one BeoSystem 5500 with the large 'remote'. Looked amazing like a spaceship against my parents Denon Midi system and the wafer thin CD tray.
Sounded pretty terrible though connected to some classic Celestion Dittion 15s mounted in the corners of the room...
I always thought they sounded best with their own speakers. I have a Beomaster 4500 (bought 20 years after they stopped making it, when I could afford it) and it sounds pretty great at low-mid levels with my black and white B&O RL2000s.

BTW the CD drawer on those B&O 5500, 6500 and 7000 series is so sexy.

If Le Corbusier designed hifi: The HD-1 integrated amp from Margules Audio in Mexico.

I always wanted one but couldn't really justify it when they were available. Now they've completely disappeared – I could barely even find this picture of one.

Check out their site, linked above. They produce full systems, including speakers and a very beautiful turntable.

hd-1.jpg

Definitely. Part of my active collection too.

advertisement

Back