advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

As the originator of the thread I'm toying pushing the button on either a Yamaha A-S2100, A-S3000 or Luxman L505 UX II.

Can't get to demo either sadly but they are both tempting, the Yamaha perhaps more so as the cost is a lot less. As a slight aside what are people's experiences of the best speaker synergy with both? Room is quite small, music is all sorts from Rock to Ambient, Jazz and Female Voals .

Any pointers or thoughts please folks?

They are all three pretty neutral, open detailed and with good bass so I'd just say that you'll hear what the speakers sound like. Despite the fairly high damping factor they run my old tannoys well and equally ran Harbeth HL5+ anni's equally well. I'd just avoid anything with a VERY weird impedance curve and all that sounds harsh, but I'd do that anyway.

I'll be watching this space with great interest although I've settled down with the Luxman. The separate options from Accuphase do look interesting. There are so many options, 5 preamplifier models and 7 power amp models altogether.

Albany brought up an interesting observation on the comparison between the A-48 and A-75. The A-75 is supposed to be a higher range model but the lower range A-48 was reported to sound better than the A-75.

The Accuphase line is surely a lot more comprehensive than the Luxman. There are only 3 models of preamp and power amp with the Luxman, and they all look a lot cheaper and less elegant than the Accuphase equivalent. It's quite a surprise the Luxman separates look a lot uglier than their integrated amplifiers.
Agreed, tho it's close between the two. I like all the amps in the this thread, but I'd say any of them were 'beautiful'...to taste ofc.

On looks and build alone Accuphase, then Yamaha. Luxman just doesn't do it for me personally.

Yamaha (S3000) first when it comes to pricing, then Luxman then Accuphase.

It really is personal
Just listen & look

for me personally

Build quality . Luxman / Accuphase. Then Yamaha

Looks. Yamaha/ Luxman. Then Accuphase

VFM. Yamaha. Luxman. Accuphase

ur money ur choice

All three are excellent

It is all quality gear, you just need to listen. How hard can it be?

1 - Do you know any HiFi shops that have been open for the best part of a year and a bit? I don't know about you but I've found it quite difficult to demo anything, so yep, pretty hard.

2 - If it were merely a case of demoing and not asking for opinions then forums like this would be rather obsolete wouldn't they? The original question was intended merely to gather immediate opinion whereas the resulting debate has either been useful or not, depending on your perspective. I have found it so.

So no, it's not merely a case of 'you just need to listen'. Genius.

1 - Do you know any HiFi shops that have been open for the best part of a year and a bit? I don't know about you but I've found it quite difficult to demo anything, so yep, pretty hard.

2 - If it were merely a case of demoing and not asking for opinions then forums like this would be rather obsolete wouldn't they? The original question was intended merely to gather immediate opinion whereas the resulting debate has either been useful or not, depending on your perspective. I have found it so.

So no, it's not merely a case of 'you just need to listen'. Genius.
Many dealers will ship a demo unit, if you have no preferred dealer or are not well known to them they will take a credit card swipe and not process if returned in good nick, the ones I have used even picked up the carriage both ways. Also some offer a 30 day money back presuming the item is returned in perfect nick.

I bought the Lux 590 with a 30 day option, a week in I thought I was gonna use it and told the dealer as much, in the end I decided it would stay, the different presentation to my previous/current amps gave me serious pause.

advertisement

Back