The Selecter - On My Radio

Madness - One Step Beyond

Guns N’ Roses - Dust N’ Bones

Metallica - Enter Sandman/Nothing Else Matters

Erasure - The Circus

Dire Straits - It Never Rains

Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra

"Owner Of a Lonely Heart"

Still remember our high school music teacher pumping that out at max volume on the PA one hot Friday afternoon in Oz. Windows open, the whole school could hear..no fooks given!!

blindingly produced record. Sounds superb at high volume!!

I have been told this. I once had tickets to see them at the Hammersmith Apollo and some b***ocks came up at work and I had to give them to a friend. Of course the critics said it was one the most legendary performances of their career. From what my mates said I'm sure heavy ear protection would have been required if I wanted to walk away with my hair cells intact!

In their early days, DC were (still are) one of the few bands that actually had all their stage amps working and cranked. The air used to 'fizz' and 'crackle' with the energy apparently. Playing massive Australian drinking barns left over from the "Six O'clock Swill" era was one reason they generated such a piercing live sound...they were trying to throw the high frequencies down the low ceiling, acoustically dead floor plans

Mick, the roadie for Metallica knows how to go big or go home. An extra 24 18 inch subs under the Glastonbury stage - strictly to be only used by Metallica sort of big... “that’s got some girth” he says.

Henry Rollins ‘Liar’

Just remembered this.

Beautiful.

Kind of lyrics that freak some folk (The Wife) out.

The fabulous album version.

Diesel power - the prodigy
Kashmir - led zeppelin
Achiellie's last stand - led zeppelin
when the levee breaks - led zeppelin
you fool no one - deep purple - made in Europe
lazy - deep purple - made in Japan
gladiator OST
time / comfortably numb / money etc etc pink floyd
etc

Everything should be played at the volume at which it sounds best. This is rarely loud, but In My Time of Dying (Zep), Sailors Tale (Crimson) The Ocean (Zep) and the loud bits of Faure's Requiem should be the proper volume.

I measured an average of 110dB at a Queen concert recently. AC/DC was significantly louder.

A well sorted big Quad power amp and a pair of big 4R Kef Reference Monitors (104.2 or larger) will get very close to replicating AC/DC live in your living room. I thought this would be amazing, but it felt weird to listen to rock music at genuine live levels in a domestic setting and I live in a detached house with no close neighbours. Having said that, I am tempted to try this again with some QMPs and 105.3s or Monitor 4's and see if I can make my stereo double a chimney cleaner.

Tracks that needs to be played loud? Anything that was performed loud, but particularly any Who live recording or Cop Shoot Cop by Spiritualized.

The Gil Norton-produced Pixies stuff sounds a lot better balanced and defined if you turn it up a lot, I reckon.

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters
Roadhouse Blues - Doors
Monkey Man -Stones
Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues again- Dylan
Flaco Jimenez feat Dwight Yoakam - Carmelita
And two dozen others...

advertisement

Back