advertisement

Ad intrusion on pfm

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has to be malware of some kind. There is no mechanism on pfm that could cause that.

Malware that injects into Google code has definitely been a thing over the years so I assume this is what some have picked up.

Please try clearing all cookies. I’m prepared to bet it is something picked up elsewhere.
No love, it's nothing. It's just a rash.

I'm another who's experienced this centralised pop-up window a couple of times earlier today, nothing before that though.

Might take a little while for Tony's change to the setting to ripple through to the ad slinging bit of google.

Think I had the same thing earlier today as well.
It looks very much like the same thing I get on the AOS forum.
Seems that Tony is on top of it & dislikes it as much as we do. I accept the need for ads, the ones at the top of the screen are accepted. The ones reported here were a bit of a PITA & hopefully gone now.

Had it once today.

Happens between each post on AOS, reason why having joined AOS I never bothered to "introduce" myself as required to post, just couldn't be bothered!

Seems that Tony is on top of it & dislikes it as much as we do. I accept the need for ads, the ones at the top of the screen are accepted.

I don’t put anything on the site I’m not prepared to look at myself! It’s a shame I didn’t get fielded one as I’d have been curious to see it. The amount of advertising I’m running generates a decent income and there is very obviously a level where it becomes obtrusive and folk turn on ad blockers etc. It amazes just how ad-heavy some sites are, just unbearable, e.g. AllMusic.com winds me up as you get ads over the text etc that just don’t scale right. Not good to annoy members/readers IMO.

As I use an add blocker this thread just reminded me to check when I last sent a paypal to Tony.
June last year so what I hope is an adequate amount wending its way now.

I hate adds and always use an add blocker but don't mind paying on sites such as this which I would certainly miss if they disappeared.

Even my 3 kids (well young adults now) have heard of PFM.

.sjb

Sorry but I use an add blocker too and Sloop John B’s post has just reminded me to send a donation to Tony’s site.

@Tony L - you should see a PayPal donation I made a few minutes ago.

Cheers, Rack.

As I use an add blocker this thread just reminded me to check when I last sent a paypal to Tony.
June last year so what I hope is an adequate amount wending its way now.

I hate adds and always use an add blocker but don't mind paying on sites such as this which I would certainly miss if they disappeared.

Even my 3 kids (well young adults now) have heard of PFM.

.sjb

I use an ad blocker too, but PFM is one of the sites I have whitelisted, so I see the ads here.

I’ve seen those elsewhere. Way, way too intrusive IMO as it actually disrupts viewing and breaks interactive flow. I totally get why some site owners do it, the increases in advertising I've implemented here over the years, e.g. moving from the very small colour-matched text ad on the banner to the fairly large full-colour stuff we have now has made a huge difference to site earning potential and therefore my ‘wage’. It, along with eBay and Amazon, has turned what was a hobby into a fully viable business, but there is a line of intrusion I will not cross.

I very deliberately don’t use an ad blocker myself as I view them in the same way as Napster or whatever (they are similarly piracy devices enabling the user to get paid content without paying), but that said there are sites that just irritate the hell out of me (Allmusic, some of the newspapers like the Independent, a fair few forums etc) where the ads break the browsing experience to such a degree I don’t want to stay on the site beyond following a link, doing some very specific research etc. There is certainly a lesson webmasters can learn here; that too much advertising actively forces users away or tempts them to use a blocker and therefore deny you all ad income streams (obviously unless they are regulars who donate). It surprises me how few seem to grasp this.

You have the trade annual sub of £50, even though I decided not to move into Audio full time and away from my IT business I still pay the sub as I’m happy to donate and find having the extra PM and Edit facilities valuable, maybe adding a Sponsor level sub could work as well as the donation model, it appears folk are happy to contribute but forget to do it annually? Then those folk can use Ad Blocking without worry.

Some sites are almost unusable these days due to Ads either slowing it down, intruding on the content space or making it impossible to read without scrolling down for ages through Ads breaking up the text into a sentence or 2 at a time. It appears to be getting worse over time.

AVForums detect if you have an Ad Blocker and stop you posting in Classifieds or replying to some PMs, so it must be a major income stream for them to risk putting people off visiting.

Don't mind the banner ads on the site, but I'm bored bloody stupid at having to dismiss Pop up warnings on here today:
ae643317b1512bbfcd4b774a29bdf332ce6c44f9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back