advertisement

Big box Vs floor standers

I'm curious, several people on this thread have said various things, Ditton 15s etc are not "Big Box", and I can see where they're coming from; less than 10"x10" footprint takes up less floorspace than my Gemini IIs, which are described by their manufacturer as an "extremely compact subwoofer". So what are some examples of true Big Box loudspeakers? I feel like from the description this along with wide baffle also on this thread is something I'm not that clued up on and that with my current difficulty finding speakers that I like is perhaps an avenue I should explore!

I'm curious, several people on this thread have said various things, Ditton 15s etc are not "Big Box", and I can see where they're coming from; less than 10"x10" footprint takes up less floorspace than my Gemini IIs, which are described by their manufacturer as an "extremely compact subwoofer". So what are some examples of true Big Box loudspeakers? I feel like from the description this along with wide baffle also on this thread is something I'm not that clued up on and that with my current difficulty finding speakers that I like is perhaps an avenue I should explore!
Klipsch Forte, Heresy, Cornwall, etc. Here's the Cornwall, for example:

iu

15" of trouser flapping goodness!

So what are some examples of true Big Box loudspeakers?

I suppose it's all relative and on a sliding scale. When I was a kid I used to think my dad's Goodman's Magnum SL speakers with their 12" woofers were HUGE, but each year I grew bigger the Goodmans stayed the same size, so eventually they looked like dainty little things, especially after I brought home a pair of Goodmans Magisters with 15" woofers:
45788297984_d9c3a36a63_o.jpg

The Magisters look properly chunky until you sit them next to a pair of Tannoy Lockwood Majors! If you take it to the extreme then you could argue these humongous JBLs is what's meant by a "wide-baffle speaker": :D

6X9C6371.JPG

Last edited:
8” bass unit, and you have to pay a bit for one of those these days! Similar with things like the old AR6, AR18 etc. Considered a small speaker in their time, but far larger than many around today. A lot of modern floorstanders only have a 5 to 6.5” bass unit, and regardless of the port loading they have to move a lot further than an 8”.

PS I’m not necessarily defending the Ditton 15 here, just noting the surface area in play. As ever if you want to fill a fair sized room or listen above fairly low levels there is no replacement for displacement!

The AR3 was originally designated a ‘bookshelf speaker’

Those are remarkable looking things! I take it the three things in a row at the bottom are ports?
Yep. I had to go check the product page to be sure: https://www.klipsch.com/products/cornwall-iv-floorstanding-speaker

I knew the Klipsch Heritage models had been around a long time but I didn't realize how long. The Cornwall was first offered in 1959 as a center speaker to go between Klipschorns apparently: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/127079-cornwall-history/

No idea what center channels were used for back then...

The Cornwall was made from 1959 until 1990, and then brought back in 2006.

Those bottom ones are extremely impressive! what are they?
I suppose it's all relative and on a sliding scale. When I was a kid I used to think my dad's Goodman's Magnum SL speakers with their 12" woofers were HUGE, but each year I grew bigger the Goodmans stayed the same size, so eventually they looked like dainty little things, especially after I brought home a pair of Goodmans Magisters with 15" woofers:
45788297984_d9c3a36a63_o.jpg

The Magisters look properly chunky until you sit them next to a pair of Tannoy Lockwood Majors! If you take it to the extreme then you could argue these humongous JBLs is what's meant by a "wide-baffle speaker": :D

6X9C6371.JPG

Those are remarkable looking things! I take it the three things in a row at the bottom are ports?
It took me a hot minute, I was wondering why you'd have three horn drivers in a row at floor level before it dawned on me that probably wasn't what I was looking at!

JBL 4355? Mucho dinero!

Here's a video of that pair getting moved into that room!:

At lease the huge amps make the speakers look a little smaller...
Marvellous! I wonder if they have any less monstrous, but still "big box" siblings I might be able to fit in my room/afford! It's a nuisance trying to find second hand JBL speakers if you don't know exactly what you're looking for, they make far too many things so vague searches throw up a million results! :D

Marvellous! I wonder if they have any less monstrous, but still "big box" siblings I might be able to fit in my room/afford! It's a nuisance trying to find second hand JBL speakers if you don't know exactly what you're looking for, they make far too many things so vague searches throw up a million results! :D
I'm rebuilding an old pair of JBL 4312A's from the late '80s right now. But you're in luck because JBL brought them back again sometime in the last 10 years. They're now called 4312G, but unfortunately they only come in black (synthetic) veneer now, and are no longer made in the US.

Last edited:
My Tannoy Stirlings are described in the brochre as 'Compact' which I guess they are for the Tannoy Prestige models. Without the optional stands, they are too big for a bookshelf but too short to be sat on the floor on their own...

Tannoy
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

I don’t think any speakers look pretty. I do think some look ugly.

Your comment ignores how much space people have for their stereo. (and cash)

I certainly didn’t buy my speakers on looks. Demoed them, and they sounded good.
Speakers are prettiest part of hifi.

I'm rebuilding an old pair of JBL 4312A's from the late '80s right now. But you're in luck because JBL brought them back again sometime in the last 10 years. They're now called 4312G, but unfortunately they only come in black (synthetic) veneer now, and are no longer made in the US.
Come on booja, a few pictures of your JBL project please.............:D

I ended up making a pair of 4430 clones. As the real thing comes up only rarely in Europe. They go lower than Klipches, flat down to the 20s. If you swap out the diaphragms with radians instead of the original titanium JBLs, they are very sweet and informative, and image like a bastard too. If you go on the website Lansing Heritage there is loads of information on speaker systems and drivers over the years, including plans.
Emporium have some Jubals at the moment, certainly in the same league.

Edit Jubal gone.

The only big box speakers I've actually owned were Gale GS302, on low stands.
Not so popular in the press but I really enjoyed mine. A great combination of speed and weight.
For skinny floor standers I always liked the Proac Mini Towers, another speaker that had a nice balance of sound.

Had some Pageant 2s through my hands and was surprised at how good they were.
Heard the early Neat skinnies ( model? ) and was suitably impressed with those as well.

My faves are ATC 50s on low stands...

I listened to some large JBLs in Copenhagen a few summers back. The best sound I've ever heard by a long way. It felt like the sound was all around me.

The sound was so soft but so powerful at the same time , if that makes sense.

advertisement

Back