advertisement

Loving my NUC Roon Rock BUT..

D-C

pfm Member
Sound is a bit thin..

It's great and all, very snappy and beats having to keep my PC on all day etc.. BUT

I dunno, the sound just seems a little thin.

I'm using a ROCK on NUC i7 10th Gen, in a fanless case. Standard power cable.
Chord 2Qute Dac into my Modwright LS.PS Pre>Unico Power> Duevel Bella Lunas

What's the culprit likely to be? Is it the non linear power, or something else.. maybe the Dac? Just wondering if the weak link is my ears or something in the chain?

Cheers,

D-C

What have you compared it to/had in the past. Nuc USB cabled to Qute - front or back socket? Try a USB to SPDif adapter.

I've had my Roon core on PC running via homeplug to the 2Qute, I dunno, maybe I was expecting more, but it seems a little thinner.. nothing scientific.

I've had my Roon core on PC running via homeplug to the 2Qute, I dunno, maybe I was expecting more, but it seems a little thinner.. nothing scientific.
Sorry I don’t get/understand your connection chain, Homeplugs are network cabled or Wi Fi and the 2Qute is Optical/CoAx/USB.

You mean you ran Core on a Win PC and now ROCK on a Nuc?

Whats cabled to what and where are your music files held, if you describe the setup in more detail you might get more folk offering ideas what to look at changing. Are the Homeplugs still in the system..

>>> I had Nuc i5 8th Gen USB to Qutest worked well and sounded good, not same but nearly. I now have same as you i7 10th Gen and into a couple other USB DACs it sounds great.

Yeah it's the ROCK, it's the core for all ROONnes

Well yes in your context but a rock can just as happily be an endpoint with no server running.

I ask because I ran rock on a number of pc end points myself and drew the same conclusion as you, My server is elsewhere though so I installed Daphile instead of rock and its a whole different ball game.

Are you using roon DSP ? If so turn it off.

I use the same NUC as you and have my music on a NAS, all CAT6 Ethernet and USB from NUC to DAC - sounds superb. But when using DSP it thins the sound with it not being bit perfect.

I’ll be following this thread with interest.

Having recently moved my Innuos Zenith MK3 on, I’m without a Roon core/server. Well actually that’s not quite true; I pressed a Dell Inspiron 3268 into service yesterday afternoon and to my ears Roon running on that sounds better than Auralic’s Lightning DS. But like most I don’t want to run a PC 24/7.

So long story short, I’m looking to use a NUC to run Roon as cheaply as possible, most likely an 8th-gen i3 with an onboard 1TB SSD.

An i3 is more than adequate running ROCK on a NUC if you don’t push the resampling/remodulating and EQ too hard. Some of the NUCs can spin the fan up to a level you might notice, there are BIOS settings to tame it but with an i3 it will likely run quiet all the time.

Hi all,

Thanks for the interest.
Ok, so the rock is also a server.
I have the roon software on an M2 ssd, and a second 4tb ssd inside the case as music storage/ server.

The homeplugs connect the rock to the router and other end points via ethernet through the electrical wiring in the house.

The 2qute sits on top of the rock and is connected directly via USB. I wanted there to be nothing between the rock/DAC/pre amp.

Re DSP, is it on by default?
Just checked and I had no presets but it did show as having "auto apply settings" on.

Two thoughts, some seem to think Home-plugs can affect sound quality, any way to bypass as a test? Next do you have another network endpoint/streamer you can try like a Pi with ROON plugin, try it fed by either network cable or Wi Fi using USB to Chord DAC. See of you notice any change to the sound quality.

Hi AA, I'm not using the homeplugs between the rock/server and the dac, that's a direct connection via usb. I can unplug the ethernet cable to see if that makes a different, but I'm not sure how it would.

I could plug another end point in, between the rock/server and the DAC, but again seems a bit of a pointless exercise.

Re The DSP sliders they were all off.

Homeplugs are said by some to inject noise into the entire house mains, hence the suggestion to temp unplug them all if you can cobble a temp network together without them.

Ah ok, appreciate what you're saying - I can try that just to see if the server/usb/ DAC with no network sounds different.

However, I would have to live with the difference either way as I don't have a viable alternative to homeplugs.. I'm not willing to have cables all over the house- drilling between floors etc.

advertisement

Back