advertisement

Rega motor noise

Phil Bishop

pfm Member
Wondering if anyone here has any advice on this.

I have owned several Rega turntables, RP3, RP6, RP8, P6.......

These days I have settled on two favourites - a green RP6 and a red RP6. I love the look of those deep gloss coloured plinths.

However, the red RP6 has always had audible motor noise. I have never experienced it with any of the other Rega decks I have owned, the only noise you can generally hear from the others is the sound of the belt tracking.

The red RP6 motor noise is just like a kind of whirring. It's relatively low level but has always bugged me. It also comes and goes, it generally gets better with use.

I was advised to trickle a bit of light oil where the motor pulley emerges from the plinth, which I did. I was also advised to lightly "pump" the motor pulley which I did. The deck also eventually went back to Rega but nothing changed much, possibly the noise reduced slightly but it's still there.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience and have any advice on fixes?

Noise from new?

I had a similar thing on a PT deck. Light oil will logically not do much, being light. I actually put one drop of the PT spindle oil (which is like treacle, possible more viscous) on the motor shaft, allowed the oil to work its way down for an hour or so, and then left the motor, minus belt, run for several hours. It improved it a lot, but did not totally eliminate the feint hum/buzz from the motor.

Hi Phil, how old is the RP6 ?

You say it has always had audible motor noise but then say it comes and goes.

Did you but it new ?

When did it come back to us ?

A little more info would be useful so we can perhaps help, thanks.

PD

Hi Phil, how old is the RP6 ?

You say it has always had audible motor noise but then say it comes and goes.

Did you but it new ?

When did it come back to us ?

A little more info would be useful so we can perhaps help, thanks.

PD
Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Bought new from Radlett Audio approaching 5 to 10 years ago I'd guess.

It went back to you guys (DB) last year I think. No much changed afterwards regarding the noise to be honest. Prior to that you (Rega) had been kind enough to send me a pipette of oil to try lubing the pulley shaft, which I guess works its way down into the motor?

Noise definitely seems to come and go and originally I thought it may go away or significantly reduce with use, but that does not seem to have happened.

I have chopped and changed a lot with decks over the last 10 years or so, including RP3, RP6, RP8, P3 and P6. However, as mentioned above I love the coloured gloss plinths of the RP6 range so have decided to whittle things down to my green and red RP6. None of the other decks have had any motor noise so I'm sure the red RP6 is anomalous.

Thanks again!

When I bought my (used) RP10 a couple of year ago I had a slight ticking/scraping noise from the motor. Rega/Paul sent me a syringe of oil, probably the same oil you have. I put a drop on the spindle and agitated it but it did nothing. I apllied another drop a few days later and it worked. The motor has been silent since.

Just saying the oil may take a couple of goes to work.

When I bought my (used) RP10 a couple of year ago I had a slight ticking/scraping noise from the motor. Rega/Paul sent me a syringe of oil, probably the same oil you have. I put a drop on the spindle and agitated it but it did nothing. I apllied another drop a few days later and it worked. The motor has been silent since.

Just saying the oil may take a couple of goes to work.
Thanks very much, it's worth another try. I'll wait for Paul to reply as to what he thinks :)

Interesting as I have a similar "scraping" noise from my RP10. Maybe time to contact someone at Rega to get said same syringe of oil?

To eliminate any external influence I’d swap the position of two decks. If the deck is still noisy is it possible to swap the two motors? If that’s a step too far and a drop more oil doesn’t cure it I’d consider a new motor.

To eliminate any external influence I’d swap the position of two decks. If the deck is still noisy is it possible to swap the two motors? If that’s a step too far and a drop more oil doesn’t cure it I’d consider a new motor.
They are both mounted in the same position on a Rega wall shelf. I just chop and change so any external influence has been discounted, including the influence of belts, etc. A new motor may be an option. Does anyone know if they can be fitted DIY?

The sticky pads holding the motor are pretty strong so removing the motor needs care to avoid damaging the laminate.., I’d send it to rega personally..or get your rega dealer to do it..

Better to have a look at the thrust bearing before blaming the motor; this is either not lifting the rotor inner flange up off of the bottom bearing sleeve, or (more likely) it is causing the top rotor flange to rub against the bottom face of the upper bearing sleeve. The former requires refitting (or replacement) of the thrust bearing cap (along with a drop of oil for the bottom bearing sleeve), whereas, the latter may be solved via an additional drop of oil into the top bearing sleeve.

[Image credit: Graham Slee]
upside-down-rega-7.jpg

Last edited:
The sticky pads holding the motor are pretty strong so removing the motor needs care to avoid damaging the laminate.., I’d send it to rega personally..or get your rega dealer to do it..
With some heat applied using a pen torch, one can persuade a hobby knife blade to bend sideways through 90°using pliers. Simply cut through the foam core of the adhesive pad and that which can't be reached will peel away as the motor is pulled free. Then it is just a matter of rubbing any remaining foam bits off and fitting new; following Rega's fitting instructions to the letter.

Hi Phil, you always seem to hear things others either take for granted or don't hear at all :D If there's an ongoing issue, you really need to contact the supplying dealer (as that's who your contract of sale is with) and get him and Rega to sort it. As you know, I sold many hundreds of Regas and similar motored LP12's (in 120V motor form) in years past and usually, could forcibly sort a loudly noisy (usually LP12) motor top bushing and with plenty of hours, a slightly noisy Rega motor would usually become all but inaudible after a few months (being a Rega dealer, we had bottles of the required oils). I may have suggested before to oil the top motor bearing and let it run for 48 - 72 hours with belt off.

There have been third party thrust assemblies with a set screw to hopefully hold the rotor *between* the thrust pads/bearing sleeve edges and one manually sets this clearance for each motor but as the thrust assemblies are adhered to the motor bottoms these days, maybe all but impossible to fit.

You want total silence, buy a Techie direct drive - oh......... you've done that too and lived to tell the tale ;)

I'm rather fond of the Planar 6/Neo and for me, being able to properly set the running speed is a good thing, the deeper platter making it look as if it means more business too. Mind you, being out of things for so long, I don't get so anal about the gear any more (honestly Paul, I don't!!! :D ). In the UK, we're spoiled by having Rega not too far away and a hopefully good supply of caring dealers able to help, the one you've bought mostly from being one of the very first UK Rega dealers of them all!

Turntable Owner: 'I hear a whirring sound when I listen to my turntable motor.'

Turntable Salesman: 'Try listening to your records instead.'

I’ve always had a scraping noise from my RP6, it’s slight and I only hear it when near my turntable. I’m wondering if any damage is happening, does anyone know?

I’ve always had a scraping noise from my RP6, it’s slight and I only hear it when near my turntable. I’m wondering if any damage is happening, does anyone know?
It depends upon the cyclical pattern; for example, once per record revolution points to the main turntable bearing having long since gone dry, whereas, continuous (i.e. 250x per minute) indicates the motor. Neither would be expensive to correct with RP6 (or lower models).

Hi Phil, you always seem to hear things others either take for granted or don't hear at all :D If there's an ongoing issue, you really need to contact the supplying dealer (as that's who your contract of sale is with) and get him and Rega to sort it. As you know, I sold many hundreds of Regas and similar motored LP12's (in 120V motor form) in years past and usually, could forcibly sort a loudly noisy (usually LP12) motor top bushing and with plenty of hours, a slightly noisy Rega motor would usually become all but inaudible after a few months (being a Rega dealer, we had bottles of the required oils). I may have suggested before to oil the top motor bearing and let it run for 48 - 72 hours with belt off.

There have been third party thrust assemblies with a set screw to hopefully hold the rotor *between* the thrust pads/bearing sleeve edges and one manually sets this clearance for each motor but as the thrust assemblies are adhered to the motor bottoms these days, maybe all but impossible to fit.

You want total silence, buy a Techie direct drive - oh......... you've done that too and lived to tell the tale ;)

I'm rather fond of the Planar 6/Neo and for me, being able to properly set the running speed is a good thing, the deeper platter making it look as if it means more business too. Mind you, being out of things for so long, I don't get so anal about the gear any more (honestly Paul, I don't!!! :D ). In the UK, we're spoiled by having Rega not too far away and a hopefully good supply of caring dealers able to help, the one you've bought mostly from being one of the very first UK Rega dealers of them all!
DSJR,

Read my OP - I was asking for advice. This is a hi fi forum is it not?

As for me hearing things that others don't, please don't patronise me. I have a Planar 6/Neo and fine and silent it is. My red RP6 is not silent, never has been.

....and what's having owned Techies got to do with anything?

Similar to the issue I have. I very much doubt any damage is being done. Always difficult to describe noises. I'd describe it as a sort of whirring, possibly slight scraping. With the lid on it's amplified so with my hearing I could hear it a good few feet away. Not intrusive when music's playing. I have a lot of experience of Rega decks and this one is relatively noisy, always has been.

advertisement

Back