advertisement

Southern Rock at the BBC

Fuller

pfm Member
Hope y’all enjoyed this the other night. I thought it was great fun, especially the lead singer from Black Oak Arkansas, what a character!
I only own a compilation from Lynyrd Skynryd of that genre. So any fans and was it popular over here back in the day? Anyone see any of the bands on tour in the 1970’s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01f1bwb

If you like that stuff and want to try a more modern take then I can recommend a few. Try Cadillac 3; Blackberry Smoke; A Thousand Horses; The Steel Woods and Whiskey Myers.

Euan

Or dip into the excellent Whiskey Preachin’ radio show. Out of Brighton but archived on Mixcloud. Highly recommended!

My girlfriend of my student years was into Southern Boog, so made me go to see the likes of Molly Hatchet, 38 Special, Blackfoot, Tucky Buzzard (?) and ZZ Top. Later on whilst we both worked in London and just 'good friends' we saw the likes of Georgia Satellites and Allman Bros. There were others that have long faded into distant memory as I was never a big fan. I always thought they over promised (like many US bands) and lived off their image.

Didn't see the program but I was a big fan back in the day - Steve Miller Band, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Los Lobos, Allman Brothers, Eagles.

Didn't see the programme, but did see the Allmans at Knebworth 1974, brilliant. A glorious days music, Tim Buckley, Alex Harvey, John McLaughlin, Van Morrison, Doobie Brothers and an awesome set by the Allmans.
And now there's the Allman Betts Band. ...like the Allmans all over again.

I have seen that documentary before very good.....I saw Lynyrd Skynryd late 70s which was very good, lots of energy. I never got to see any of the other southern rock bands although really like The Ozarks, Marshall Tucker and The Allmans. The Lynyrd Skynryd documentary (If I leave Here Tomorrow) is also very good, definitely worth watching if you like that stuff.

I also saw Lynyrd Skynyrd on the support slot to Golden Earring, must have been a shock to the headline act to appear and then play to a half empty hall.
Also in Glasgow when the Who played at Parkhead, Little Feat and The Outlaws on the bill, felt the latter were made for stadiums whilst Lowell George’s outfit struggled at that level.

But by far and away the best rock band with distinct Southern leanings were, for me, The Black Crowes:
A prodigiously talented band of musicians elevated to all round greatness by the Rich Robinson and Marc Ford partnership. The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion alongside Amorica should be in most record collections.

Sadly I didn’t get to see ZZ Top in the pre MTV era, all of their albums up to Deguello were a kind of artistic high point, the later version that gave them global recognition being just too polished and slick for my liking. Fair play to them though they had to diversify and did so to great reward.

Aye, Little Feat = Southern Rock. Their places of birth might not indicate the South but their music did.
I had a mate who bought a Molly Hatchet album convinced they had to be a metal band because of the cover. Boy was he wrong.

Black Oak: Is Jim Mangrum the nearest thing to Foghorn Leghorn made flesh, that said his interview with whisperin’ Bob seemed heartfelt, touchingly so.

Me. Bit of jazz, bit of funk, bit of blues and plenty rock. But not Southern in the true sense
More funk than rock, I'd say, taken over the whole output. Calling them "southern rock" and putting this glorious and innovative band in the same category as dullards like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Black Oak Arkansas is absurd.

Rather enjoyed the Eagles gig (2018?) on Sky Arts (Freeview 11) about 2-3 months ago and revisited same about 2-3 weeks ago. Proper gig, fantastic musicianship.

Is there anyone else thinks Little feat didn't play Southern Rock?
Little Feet were much more towards the New Orleans/Roots/Funk sound to me.

More funk than rock, I'd say, taken over the whole output. Calling them "southern rock" and putting this glorious and innovative band in the same category as dullards like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Black Oak Arkansas is absurd.
I would beg to differ on calling Skynyrd 'dullards'. All highly accomplished players and I think Ronnie Van Zandt was a marvellous singer.

advertisement

Back