advertisement

Simple Smartphone. Value for money solution.

George J

Herefordshire member
I got my first mobile phone - gratis - from British Telecom in summer 2001, because my landline had to be repaired in a process lasting several weeks. This would not normally have been a problem for me. The phone was not regularly used ... But my Norwegian grandmother was in her final illness aged 81, and her younger daughter, my aunt, had agreed to phone me with developments ...

That is the history. I still run a £10 simple mobile, but it seems that not having a smartphone with mobile email, and the oncoming Covid pass is likely to require me to get into the Twenty-first Century and get a Smartphone. Actually I don't like the idea, but there it goes.

What I want is something that is more or less the opposite of an iPhone. Something basic, totally reliable, but overall that is least cost considering durability . A Volvo 240 rather than a Ferrari ...

I would welcome any suggestions of what make and model would suit for occasional use such as may be required for demonstrating Covid vaccination status [concerts, public transport, public house entrance, and so forth], and otherwise not much. Not interested in a fancy in-built camera or 5G connectivity. Just the minimum, but robust enough to last a long time.

My original mobile [pay as you go] was with BT Cellnet, which got transferred to O2, which is Telefonica these days, if still called O2. I would rather stay with O2 if that changes anything, as my wifi-broadband and simple mobile are with them, and they are good in my experience.

Best wishes from George

PS: Not averse to reconditioned, graded new, or even second-hand as options ...

Last edited:
George, I have an old unlocked Moto G2 you are welcome to if you want it. It’s like this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/219624058?iid=224386911382

If you think it might do a job for you I’ll see if it will still charge up and give it a checkover.

Edit: so far so good, it powers up. I’d forgotten it is dual-SIM. Good if you want to put a Norwegian one in the other socket. (Only joking.)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was thinking someone may have something in a drawer doing nothing. Well done Marchbanks, that should do the job.

My comment would be to get one where you can change the battery. It's usually whats breaks first, from my experience (only of 2G ones, where you can change the battery).

Beware of security with a smart phone. Don't load it with stuff that can tell the crock your bank acount number or other important data.

Motorola or Nokia would be ideal - on the margin, I’d go for Nokia as IIRC their commitment to ongoing updates is better than Motorola.

Hi George
I would argue with your inference that iPhones are not basic. They are as basic as you want them to be and they are much easier to use than android phones, being more intuitive and more reliable.
A decent used iPhone 7 can be had for around £100 and I would strongly recommend one for your needs.
Regards, Simon.

PS look on www.backmarket.co.uk

Hi George
I would argue with your inference that iPhones are not basic. They are as basic as you want them to be and they are much easier to use than android phones, being more intuitive and more reliable.
A decent used iPhone 7 can be had for around £100 and I would strongly recommend one for your needs.
Regards, Simon.

I’d agree with that and personally would go for a 6 plus for the bigger screen also it’s much cheaper to replace a cracked screen. I have the 11 but actually prefer the 6+ in quite a few ways.(slimmer, fingerprint thing and a headphone socket)

Dear Readers

I would argue that the inference that modern Android phones are harder to use than any iPhone is woefully incorrect and a myth perpetuated by fanbois.

The reality is they are equally easy to use as a simple phone, but subject to user preferences.

My 83 year old Dad just got a lovely Android S7 from my wife, picked it up and started using Android without any difficulties. He had never used Android before, his previous phones being Windows Phone (his favourite) and an iPhone - which he hated, and kept phoning me for technical support with.

A decent used Samsung S7 can be had for around £100, and I would strongly recommend them for your needs.

Regards

Simon

Surely an iPhone is only a better option if you're already in the Apple bubble with other products? As a stand alone phone it's no more or less intuitive or easier to use than anything else.

If Marchbanks' offer doesn't work out, George, I've also got a really basic smartphone boxed up in a drawer doing nothing you're welcome to.

It's this one from memory, although it is black:

https://www.gsmarena.com/blackview_a7_pro-9044.php

I don’t use a Mac and I certainly don’t consider myself an Apple fanboy. My son and brother both love their androids. My experience with Android is that they are complete crap, but I’ll admit I haven’t tried one again for at least 5 years.
iPhones are reliable and very user friendly.
No contest in my book.

Hi George
Regards, Simon.

It appears that iPhones are favoured by older members of society because they are so simple to understand. Doctorf can no doubt attest to this.
Obviously you can make a phone more complicated by downloading any number of apps, but Angry Birds and Spider Solitaire are all you need to make a bus journey go quicker.

My experience with Android is that they are complete crap

that is a useful and deeply intellectual review of a piece of advanced technology.

My wife has both, a brand new iPhone for work which she says is a hateful device. She literally cried when work made her give back her Samsung, as they moved from Samsung to Apple as their corporate deal meant Apple was cheaper.

She also has a Samsung Note 9, which she says is joyful compared to the (her words) "pile of sh!t iPhone"

She is considering a Note20 Ultra so she can use 2 SIMs and ditch the iPhone. Despite the fact that doing so would leave her out of pocket.

It appears that iPhones are favoured by older members of society because they are so simple to understand

not so evidenced by my 83 year old Dad and 79 year old Mum, who have both gone; Apple, Windows Phone, Android.

Both preferred Win Phone over both for ease of use, but now prefer Android over IOS

Morning, I would agree with others regarding iPhone, especially 6S vintage, being highly configurable, secure, easy to use, can be used with your iTunes library to listen on the go, loads of apps if required and the wallet is pretty good as well. I rarely use my cards these days as the phone does a great job without a limit, other than funds available, and has a onboard statement so you can see what you have spent.

The offer of a trial still stands....

I don't dislike 'droids, just I use iTunes too much and prefer the Apple ecosystem.

My guess is they are all much of a muchness for basic users. I only use the phone, messaging, email, OS maps and google functions and tend to only use the camera for stuff like keeping notes of things. So for me a big clear screen and ease of use are the key requirements. In COVID times I often wish I still had the 6+ cos you don’t have to remove your mask to pay.

advertisement

Back