advertisement

YPAO (Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer)

Coincidentally, I have been playing with YPAO today. My understanding is that Direct mode removes all processing. I could be wrong but when I switch between YPAO and direct, among other changes, the image shifts which is consistent with my assumption.

What about Straight mode? What is that with respect to YPAO and Direct?
On a Yammy AVR Straight bypasses DSP but uses bass management/ypao.

Direct bypasses both, some versions turn off the video processing too.

DSP gives you the 7 channel stereo or Church/Stadium type modes/effects.

Coincidentally, I have been playing with YPAO today. My understanding is that Direct mode removes all processing. I could be wrong but when I switch between YPAO and direct, among other changes, the image shifts which is consistent with my assumption.

What about Straight mode? What is that with respect to YPAO and Direct?

Straight mode?

Quick question for other Yamaha receiver owners...

I have a 5.1 channel receiver, but only have the LR and sub connected.. it has been told this in the speaker connections and size settings, yet when I run YPAO it says ‘not enough speakers connected’

do I ‘have’ to have rears and centre connected for it to work??
Not seen mention of that error - is that it word for word?

If you have Front L/Front R/Sub enabled and the rest set to None, YPAO should run.

I have a dedicated home cinema / listening room and only recently did I think to try the YPAO RSC on my Yamaha receiver. I was skeptical at first, but I have to say it has done a superb job. The whole sound-field is so much more expansive and the effects of Atmos are greatly improved. The EQing for each speaker has made a great improvement to how 'visceral' and dynamic the audio is. I wish I'd done it sooner!

What I do like about YPAO vs Audyssey etc is that you can actually view the EQ corrections, and even make changes to them!

Drawbacks are its lack of EQ ability at proper sub-bass frequencies; I understand the microphone isn't flat enough to allow any correction below about 40Hz. I use a MiniDSP for my sub anyway.

However, I wouldn't use it for stereo implementations. It does sound a bit too in-yer-face if I play 2ch music through it. I would only ever use EQ on a subwoofer for 2ch stereo listening. I think physical room correction is much better overall. I have broadband absorbers in my cinema room and they made an enormous improvement to the stereo image and accuracy of the centre channel.

I have a 5.1 channel receiver, but only have the LR and sub connected.. it has been told this in the speaker connections and size settings, yet when I run YPAO it says ‘not enough speakers connected’

Have you actually disabled the other speakers in the configuration? If they're still enabled but not connected, it'll throw up an error.

I ran YPAO yesterday and was quite pleased with the result vs the purist Direct mode. I noticed later though that it had decided to set my little 4 inch driver speakers to large, thereby disabling the subwoofer. A peculiar decision I think. Any thoughts as to how or why this happened?

None of these systems is 100% accurate, you’ve always had to check/change/adjust.

Setting LR speakers to Large doesn’t eliminate your Sub, it just means only the LFE channel is sent to it. Generally you want to set LR to Small even if floor-standers so you can experiment with the Xover, doing this means your Sub can contribute more bass, a bit more or a lot more and take some/most of the bass duties away from the main LR woofers.

what model of receiver? what is the exact message?

if you’ve told it you just have L/R/Sub does it just output test tones to those 3 when you manually check?

Thanks for making me check - it was setup in bi-amp mode, but fronts were only wired to one set of terminals, so all good now. Just done the first successful YPAO sweep. :)

I don't see why you should, it ran fine for me when I just had the LR preouts on a 7.1 receiver (RX-V673 maybe, can't recall) going into my main system before acquiring and adding more speakers. But that was an older version than the one on the 803D, which I believe is supposed to be more sophisticated...

Thanks for making me check - it was setup in bi-amp mode, but fronts were only wired to one set of terminals, so all good now. Just done the first successful YPAO sweep. :)
Ah, already been answered, sorry having a moment and hadn't seen there was another page of thread! :rolleyes:

Is there a way of seeing what the ypao equalizer settings are? On my screen PEQ settings are grayed out.

I'm not there right now, but the settings I have available in the equalizer menu are PEQ and GEQ. I thought GEQ was was where I can adjust the equalizer manually, but I want to see what the ypao decided.

Thanks. I have a very basic model, V-385, and I don't think I have the manual setup option. I'll check later, though.

advertisement

Back