advertisement

How good is the Squeezebox Touch ?

On the touch go to Settings > Advanced > Digital Output and check that the dac is selected (it should have "info" showing)
Hey Ronnie on my touch settings, advanced, does not have an option for digital output. Is this because I'm on LMS 7.9?
Thanks Dave

Thanks Ronnie you are the source for all things Touch and LMS as usual. I'd forgotten EDO I used to have it on the SBT. My DAC isn't on that list but I tried it anyway. Strange noises based on the music ensued. I've switched it off and it's now playing fine through optical again. It plays ripped SACD files at 88.2K and downloaded high res files at 96K happily through optical, sounding great so I don't really need anymore.
The only other issue I have is my Pi with Allo Digione Coax output doesn't correctly handle the DSD / SACD files. It switches the DAC to 192K and gives a noisy hissy playback any ideas on this?

Thanks for all your help. I never ceased to be impressed by the whole LMS SBT support community keeping and enhancing a music infrastructure working and improving. It really shows the power of the open source software movement.

Read through this thread yesterday and was intrigued by the comments for and against using SBT with a linear power supply. I started looking into making one and saw the SBTs power supply is rated at 3 amps. Which starts to ramp the cost of a linear supply in terms of rating of transformer, size of heatsinks etc. So this afternoon I put it on a bench power supply just to check. I was pleased to see that in reality it draws about 0.6 Amps maximum. So once I've had my ears syringed and can hear the difference I will have a listen using the Bench supply and see if its worth making a more reasonably rated power supply. Should only cost about £70-£80 at that power level.
They made allowance for those plugging in a USB hard drive without external power, I think.

You’re making me miss my Touch.
I know you know this, but no reason to go for a Touch today. A Pi with a 7 inch touch screen and piCore player is a perfect Touch simulator with double the size screen. You don't need EDO and can play basically anything. And cheaper than a Touch was.

Two SBTs in daily use here, and previous to that SB3s and a duet.

I really don't understand why someone hasn't come out with an 'updated SBT' yet - running on LMS, with same user experience - screen and a dedicated remote.
Because there isn't a market for it. Tablets and smartphones are ubiquitous these days. No need for such a device with a built in screen for most people. You just need the app for your phone, tablet, etc. The addition of a screen and remote are negatives for most people - they add expense and don't add functionality that they don't already have. Who wants another dedicated remote and screen when there are LMS apps that work perfectly on exising phones and tablets?

And if someone really wants that experience, they can build it themselves in an hour for $150. I did.

Additionally, micro computers like the Pi are so cheap that you can't beat them. There are other commercial streamers that are already setup that enable you to use the LMS ecosystem if you want it - without having a specialized LMS streaming endpoint like the Touch.

The only other issue I have is my Pi with Allo Digione Coax output doesn't correctly handle the DSD / SACD files. It switches the DAC to 192K and gives a noisy hissy playback any ideas on this?

Try these setttings for squeezelite. I use the for a Topping DX3Pro ( I copied them from some-one else o_O).

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "DX3Pro" -o hw:CARD=Pro, DEV=0 -a 160:4::1: -b 20000:60000 -p 45 -D 0:u32be

Try the -b first

https://ralph-irving.github.io/squeezelite.html

ronnie

On my squeezlite that string is currently set at
/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "piCorePlayer" -o hw:CARD=sndallodigione -a 80:4::1: -b 90000:60000 -p 99 -s 192.168.1.142
The string is created by the parameter fields above it.

I had manually changed the buffer and priority when trying to sort my stuttering problem, that accounts for the b and p parameters
The n is name obviously and the interface card is indeed the allo digione.
I'll reset the buffer and priority and look at the other parameters and also check I'm on the latest version

On my squeezlite that string is currently set at
/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "piCorePlayer" -o hw:CARD=sndallodigione -a 80:4::1: -b 90000:60000 -p 99 -s 192.168.1.142
The string is created by the parameter fields above it.

I had manually changed the buffer and priority when trying to sort my stuttering problem, that accounts for the b and p parameters
The n is name obviously and the interface card is indeed the allo digione.
I'll reset the buffer and priority and look at the other parameters and also check I'm on the latest version

Dave, have a read here

https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/p/the-rpi-audio-streaming-series-dsd.html

I find the blogger a bit overbearing at times (for example he is always telling devs what they should do :rolleyes:) but he does provide useful information

ronnie

I've just found that blog myself gone through it and solved it. Also a bit of rtfm on my DAC It supports DSD native only on USB for Optical & Coax its PCM only up to 192K. So I reset lms for DSD over PCM took all DSD parameters off squeezelite and its now working fine displaying 176K on the DAC interface.
Thanks for all your help Ronnie.
Dave

Dave first try with default settings

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "piCorePlayer" -o hw:CARD=sndallodigione -a 80:4::1:

piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v7.0.1 | www v00015 | linux 5.4.83-pcpCore-v7l | piCore v12.0pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.9-1372-pCP

I'm downloading som DSD files to test

Edit: good to see it's solved :)

If the Pi stuff would be better and more hassle-free I would have tried it out. But it isn't.
It is actually pretty hassle free. It's only because I'm trying for every last bit of function and enjoy the fiddling that it appears complex. Your average user doesn't rip SACD discs and then try and play them over a network.

Having both a Pi with touchscreen and a DAC HAT et multiple SBTs, I can see merits in both : Yes the Pi (3B running piCorePlayer in my case) is more powerful and can run the server software without a sweat, but the SBT has some nice features including the auto-dim function (useful in a bedroom), multiple outputs (decent analogue, coax, optical and USB) which allow for easy comparisons. It is also more compact and robust in my opinion. Both work well.

advertisement

Back