advertisement

Fave "Live" Albums

The recently-released Neil Young & Crazy Horse "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" set is a superb document of their act circa 1990.

wdirb_dlx-mockup_-_merch.png

Just some I can remember at the moment

nirvana - mtv unplugged
neil young - weld/live rust
jean michel jarre - In Concert Houston/Lyon
cream - wheels of fire

because of the outstanding recording:
* The mentioned Nils Lofgren
* Meola/ Laughlin/ Lucia, Friday night at San Francisco
* Norah Jones, live at ronny scott's
* Diana Krall, live in Paris
* Pink Floyd, Pulse
* and many Jazz CD's
because of the captured atmosphere:
* Jethro Tull, Bursting out
* Eric Clapton, unplugged
* Udo Lindenberg, unplugged
* Bruce Springsteen, live 75-85
* Queen, live at Wembley 86
* Meute, live in Paris
* Barbra Streisand, one voice
* simon & Grafunkle, Concert in Central Park

I’m generally not a big fan of live albums but I heard the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus when it was re-found and released on CD in 1996 and it is still a big favourite.

Deep purple Made in Japan, Thin Lizzy live and dangerous (can sound awful and great at the same time)
BB King live at the regal, Marvin Gaye Live at the London Palladium, Paul weller various live albums as there are so many, Maze live in New Orleans,

Pat Metheny Group - Travels
Magazine - Play
Tangerine Dream - Encore
Genesis - Seconds Out
Neil Young - Live Rust

There are various Tangerine Dream albums that are kinds live, but Poland is my fav, with Logos not far behind.

Rock albums favs include, Rush, All the World's a Stage, UFO, ELP's Pictures and Kiss Alive 2.

The Clash - From here To Eternity

On reflection I think I prefer Live at Shea Stadium. From Here to Eternity is a compilation from multiple gigs (78 - 82) whereas Live at Shea is a single concert ('82, supporting The Who) where they were at their peak (IMO of course). They broke up only weeks later.

The limited edition deluxe CD with 24 page mini hardback picture book is only £4.99 at Amazon: Live At Shea Stadium: Amazon.co.uk: Music

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
On reflection I think I prefer Live at Shea Stadium. From Here to Eternity is a compilation from multiple gigs (78 - 82) whereas Live at Shea is a single concert ('82, supporting The Who) where they were at their peak (IMO of course). They broke up only weeks later.

The limited edition deluxe CD with 24 page mini hardback picture book is only £4.99 at Amazon: Live At Shea Stadium: Amazon.co.uk: Music

I agree to a point, but for me the version of Complete Control on From Here To Eternity swings it for me

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So many listed already that I'd choose so I'll pitch in with this gem...

The Beachboys in concert...

BBInConcertCover.jpg

No symphonic metal live gigs listed. :(

Checkout "Blind Guardian" and "Nightwish" with new singer, "Floor Jansen" WOW can she rock, what a babe...

Sting: All this time. Recorded in the evening of Sept 11 2001. How they captured all that energy, on that day of all days, is just remarkable.

I used to say that I wasn't a fan of live albums, but then counted how many I had!
Thumbs up to :

Ramones - It's Alive
Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe (he and his bands were sublime live performers, always on the road, so any of his live albums are good)
Aswad - Live and Direct (I was at Notting Hill carnival when this was recorded)
Hendrix Live at Monterey ( and that version of Wild Thing!)
Miles Davis Live-Evil
Ornette Coleman Trio - at the Golden Circle Stockholm

And my all-time favourite Misty In Roots Live at the Counter Eurovision

.... and the Fall at St Helens has just arrived in the post today, hooray!

The recently-released Neil Young & Crazy Horse "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" set is a superb document of their act circa 1990.

wdirb_dlx-mockup_-_merch.png

As with all the releases from his Archives Performance series, I read about it and think 'What's the point?' and when I hear it it's ****ing amazing. In this case I thought it would just be a re-run of Weld. But, no, it's a far warmer, mellower sounding band playing a set filled with deep cuts to a tiny club and it's bloody wonderful. Possibly the best album for NY's wonderful guitar solos yet.

I'm now assuming 'Young Shakespeare' will offer nothing over the Massey hall set recorded a couple of days previously, but who knows. I also recently stumbled back in to the Riverboat set from '69, which is mesmerising and really funny in places. I do wonder if history will remember him better for these recordings than his often scattershot (with a few very notable exceptions) studio LPs.

advertisement

Back