advertisement

iPhone plus Dac

mole0937

pfm Member
Hi I’m in need of some guidance,
I’m using my IPhone X with Spotify at the moment to listen to music through my pre amp into Active speakers , it sounds ok but I’m sure there’s room for improvement .
My question is would it be possible to add a Dac to improve the sound of the iPhone and if so how , I’m asking this as was told Smart phones use rubbish Dacs.
I’m of a age where techno stuff is rather confusing for me so any advice I’m given will have to be rather basic
Thank you.
Martin

Bluetooth is a lossy format in most cases - as far as i know - the only way for best audio is to get a cable connected dac but someone will no doubt say you can go for a bluetooth receiver into a dac by your active speakers.
That said I do use bluetooth and airplay from time to time but can hear the lower quality.

You either plug a device in to your 'phone, which might also need an adapter.

or

You use Bluetooth, but that is lossy (but getting much better; not sure on Apple implementation)

Apple Airplay is another possibility, but you need a compatible device to stream to.

The simplest solution, which would most likely provide a nice step up, would be to buy a streamer that has something called Spotify Connect. This is a feature by which you continue to sue the same Spotify app that you are used to, but you an choose play back via your device. A Bluesound Node 2i is an excellent choice, but might be more than you wanted to spend?

You should then make sure you have the subscription which provides Spotify's 'best' quality, which is a compressed and lossy 320Kbps stream. Some will say this is all you'll need. I can easily tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 streams and lossless FLAC. However, if you are familiar with Spotify then stick with that for the time being. Spotify is introducing lossless later this year, so you could try that and see what you think.

Summary; buy a decent streamer with Spotify connect, connect via its analogue or digital outs, select best quality stream, use same app and off you go!

I had an Oppo dac which was great as you don’t need the camera adaptor. Chord Mojo with that camera adaptor is a popular choice though.

Or, get something like a Bluesound Node2i which give you a range of wireless connectivity options into your system. They really are very good.

Thank you chaps for your help it’s much appreciated . I’m going to go Helm Bolt way simply because it sounds the less complicated . Again thank you.

One extra best thing about the Bolt is that there is a headphone amp chip as well. I can carry it all around in my coat pocket and listen to better sound from my I-Phone.
As yet I have had not worked out how to carry an Oppo or Bluesound in my pocket and drag the mains power cable behind me - hahah.
Just trying to be light hearted.
Go for the Bolt.

PS If you are streaming also try Radio Paradise - 4 different streams and available in FLAC with no adverts, just an occasional voiceover from the owners. No fees, donation driven. https://radioparadise.com/player

advertisement

Back