advertisement

The safety of women.

As ever I am not entirely sure I agree with everyone in this thread as it seems to seek to apportion or deny blame rather than suggest concrete solutions. I seem in some way, to agree with almost everyone, there are indeed many sides to a problem although I can’t see many routes to a solution.
In the short term I have passed on a message from my daughter to my younger colleagues, family and friends. Please do the same.
On an iPhone, press lock button five times in a row, your iPhone emits a loud siren, counts down to 3, then calls emergency services and sends a text to your emergency contacts alerting them to your situation and location. Search ‘emergency SOS’ to set it up.
There is a similar thing on Samsung Galaxy.

I know this does not prevent a problem but just might help save another young person.

The problem is male violence.Sort that out, and the rapes and the stabbings (mostly) go away.

how?
e.g. no government in my life time have attempted prison reform for prisoners. been a few trials, that seemed to help, but none of these were ever taken up.
if we cannot reform prisoners what chance do they have of change

No, not how I read it. An appropriate riposte to the post he was replying too, I thought.
The problem is not who kills whom, the problem is that people get killed. If they get killed by men or by women is not relevant, every killed person is one too much. And I make no difference between babies, men, women, old, trans or whatever else. That's why I found Sean's post twisted, as it deflects from the actual question IMO.

how?
e.g. no government in my life time have attempted prison reform for prisoners. been a few trials, that seemed to help, but none of these were ever taken up.
if we cannot reform prisoners what chance do they have of change
This is why we, the public, have to start laying on the pressure for change.

The problem is not who kills whom, the problem is that people get killed. If they get killed by men or by women is not relevant, every killed person is one too much. That's why I found Sean's post was twisted, because it deflects from the actual problem.
It was in reply to mansr saying, in effect, ‘but what about the men?’ on a thread about women being attacked, and in the context of how to change men’s behaviour. The fact that men attack and kill more men than women is a deflection from the topic. Seanm’s point was quite wry, I thought.

Another depressing thread on women let down by the justice system: https://twitter.com/salihughes/status/1372493073276674048
That is terrible, both the abuse and the response. Improved legislation and police procedures are evidently necessary. However, that won't prevent similar abuse from taking place again. Perhaps a broader solution could include education (for all, regardless of gender) on how to recognise that a relationship is turning abusive before it's too late. Sadly, it is all too often blatantly obvious all along to all but the victim who is too madly in love to see what everybody else is seeing. I have no idea how to fix that short of altering the human biology.

It was in reply to mansr saying, in effect, ‘but what about the men?’ on a thread about women being attacked, and in the context of how to change men’s behaviour. The fact that men attack and kill more men than women is a deflection from the topic. Seanm’s point was quite wry, I thought.
Did you even read the OP?

I wanted to raise this issue here to see what people (largely men I think) of all ages think about the latest events and the fall out.

I will say I am upset by the 'educate men' shouting, because IMO, it's nothing to do with that at all.

My simple view is that these problems are down to individual men (and women Reg) who are in some way not as most of us are. I admit to myself that having sexual feelings towards a female I think 'attractive' are not uncommon, but suppose that my education and social and moral 'training' had made sure that any actions were appropriate to this time and age. I can only surmise then that those who commit these horrors are either totally unaware of what 'should' be (very unlikely) or to some degree, able to overide the mortal principle at that time.

Being drunk or with drugs must play a part sometimes, but my point is that it's a few 'sick' (sry for all the inverted commas, I don't always know the appropriate words now, tiptoeing through the PC minefield so the I.C's suggest a general term), people who are those committing the crime.

If so, then more cameras and police and etc will do very very little to deal with the problem long term. What we need is a way of finding out who those people are. If I'm right (and I make no such claim, just following one logical train of thought) then, how might this be achieved.

I'm generally cautious about imposing on rights and freedoms, but preventing those people from doing harm must be a 100% good idea surely?

Basic criminiology: there is no problem here that won't be 90% fixed by removing the desire and willingness of some young men to get very violent over their sexual desires, and their sex-fueled rivalry for status and respect. If we can't do that, we can try removing the opportunity of such persons to act out.

I'm afraid I know of no straightforward way to achieve either goal. Unsatisfactory mitigation, where we are now, would seem to be the prospect.

i am all for that, but how is still my question
Not sure. Im no politician or political expert, but I’d imagine people writing to, petitioning for their local MPs to raise it in parliament, particularly those in areas with higher crime rates, would be a good place to start.

advertisement

Back