advertisement

Tone arm for a Gyro SE/Benz ACE SL

hellomousa

Hey there,

I recently updated my system. I got a PrimaLuna EVO400, a Leema Essential phono, and a Benz ACE SL cartridge. My Gyro SE is pretty happy with them, but I would like to change the arm (Jelco 350S) for something more consistent with the rest of the system…

I've read a lot of articles here and there, and it seems that SME IV and V would be the right choice. But I would like something new and they are maybe a little bit too expensive.

So my shortlist is :
• Audio Note Arm Two/II (£1300)
• Moerch UP-4 (£1460)

What do you think would be the best choice combined with the Benz Micro/Gyro SE?

Thank you,

Chris

I had the Audionote 2/1 (or is it the other way around? Later model but entry) on a Gyro and found it a bit much - detailed but hard-sounding. I was delighted with a Funk FXR, which I still have on an Orbe and am unlikely to change. Great clarity with no hardness. Never heard a Benz, but it’s happy with an ART9 and a Nagaoka MP500.

SME M2-9 (or a 309 if you can find one).

I thought the M2-9/Gyro SE was a perfect match on a reasonable budget but that was 6+ years ago when a Gyro SE was £850 and an M2-9 £450 on the second hand market.

I tried the Technoarm , SME M2-10 and SME iv on a Gyro se, all were well suited but I favoured the SME M2, hard to find now though, the Audiomods 6 looks like an interesting arm.

I have an Audiomods Series 5 Micrometer on my Gyro SE. It's a lovely thing, can't see me changing it. The new Audiomods 6 does look very nice though...

Thank you all for your advices. Seems that SME are hard to beat. I found a second hand SME 309 for £1300. Maybe it would be the best choice?

I tried the Technoarm , SME M2-10 and SME iv on a Gyro se, all were well suited but I favoured the SME M2, hard to find now though, the Audiomods 6 looks like an interesting arm.

The Audiomods 6 does look good. At that price I (being old and cynical) keep wondering what the downside must be???
I do wish however that he hadn't 'cryogenically treated' the wiring. A bit of blather that seems at odds with a well crafted and sensible value arm.

The Audiomods 6 does look good.

Just an observation..

The Supatrak is getting some flack for appearance which seems unjustified to me, and yet I look at an Audiomods 6 and it looks like an industrial accident or an experiment in minature minimalist architecture. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. Just as well that what anything looks like would not affect my choice in buying anything much at all, apart from clothes.

Lol @Vinny have you ever seen a Wheaten? The new Audiomods series 6 kind of reminds me of the Tri-planar.
I think the 12.5" Supatrak looks very interesting and rather fetching in the black finish.

I guess the cryogenically treated tonearm wire has been around for 20 years now and is well thought of and a selling point @Rockmeister

@hellomousa I think that's a little expensive for a 309, I'm going by the prices I see SME IV and V tonearms forsale at.
You could consider a top Rega tonearm or a Syrinx/ AO PU2/3 tonearm, should be a good match on a Gyrodec.

have you ever seen a Wheaten?

I have now. Less angular, so not such a visual afront as the Audiomods, but I cannot imagine that I would ever own one - FAR too much going on, FAR too much to fail. Still looks like an apprentice piece though. A terrier would suit far better than a tonearm for me.

SME 309 prices are a bit all over the place but £1300 looks to be somewhere near the going rate currently, if anything a good price if the arm is in very good or better condition.

Lol @Vinny have you ever seen a Wheaten? The new Audiomods series 6 kind of reminds me of the Tri-planar.
I think the 12.5" Supatrak looks very interesting and rather fetching in the black finish.

I guess the cryogenically treated tonearm wire has been around for 20 years now and is well thought of and a selling point @Rockmeister

@hellomousa I think that's a little expensive for a 309, I'm going by the prices I see SME IV and V tonearms forsale at.
You could consider a top Rega tonearm or a Syrinx/ AO PU2/3 tonearm, should be a good match on a Gyrodec.
Extremely happy with a PU7 on my Gyro SE. It’s sacrilege I know but I didn’t love the SME V on it and much prefer the PU7/XX2 combo.

An SME always seems to be the correct answer with a Gyro, but I can confirm that the Audio Note Arm Two/II works brilliantly on one as well.

I've owned a SME IV since the late 80's (£495 s/h back in the day!). It has never put a foot wrong and I've never understood why some say their arms sound clinical or dry - mine doesn't! I sent it off to SME for service a couple of years ago given it's age - it came back looking like a new arm. Nice company to deal with.

I have an Audiomods V Micrometer on a Gyro SE which I converted to an Orbe. It is a superb arm.

But.. for anyone wanting to scratch the SME itch.. a friend has just listed an SME V on eBay.

An SME always seems to be the correct answer with a Gyro, but I can confirm that the Audio Note Arm Two/II works brilliantly on one as well.

l can second that emotion plus the AN arms work brilliantly with the Benz- very musical and free flowing- GRRREAT.:)

advertisement

Back