advertisement

Can you power a Naim CDS2 safely with a Naim CD PS?

Ewen1970

The Ocean Doesn't Want Me
I have a CDS2 and XPS.

Got a serviced NAIM CD PS here.

Safe to use? Better than an XPS??

Will it sound better or burn the house down?

Hi
I think read recently, Mark S ex Witch Hat Audio said the old CDS PS is much better made than the later olive XPS and can be (convert) used on later olive CDP.
Alternatively, you could check with WHA to see if they still do a upgrade or burndy fix.

I was hoping Mr Slade might see this post at some point....

Yes, Always look out for the wise words from the talented audio engineer.
After reading that recent post, I did thought I should have got an older cd ps as they were plentiful and cheaper at the time!

I've never had a spare CDPS to check the pinout from as it was only ever sold with the CDS. I can check with my colleague who has one at home though.

Thanks Mark.

Not knowing it was a CDPS and thinking it was a serviced XPS I just plugged it in using the black S burndy I normally use. It worked but ran very hot, which concerned me a fair bit so I unplugged it. Can't imagine it would damage anything but wanted to check.

Cheers

Ewen

Distant memory here. Recall talk of cd ps could be used with a Cds2 if it was a later one with a white dot next to burndy socket ?
Required the original burndy to be modified though. A power supply for a Naim head unit should not run very hot im sure - something wrong there.

Well well well it seems to have a deliberate dot of white paint right by the burndy socket!

I'm not using the original Burndy rather the "S" version.

The mystery unravels.....

I have used a caps with a cdx modded Burndy did not run hot so may be an issue with the burndy or with the cdsps

OK so the Burndy that came with the CDPS has a different Pin configuration to the one that came with the XPS, but weirdly is nearer to the S Burndy that I use. Might have to phone Naim on this one..

I’m talking crap here. The Burndy that I thought came with the XPS came with 52 Supercap so it would be different.

Naim and their ****ing cables...

advertisement

Back