advertisement

What are you listening to right now #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragged back to the record deck to work through some new records.

This sounds quite something. Side A so far, flat vinyl, clean sound.

R-15003771-1585507600-2562.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Herbie Hancock ‎– The Prisoner
Label:
Blue Note ‎– B0031460-01, Blue Note ‎– B0031300-01, Blue Note ‎– BST 84321
Series:
Blue Note Tone Poet Series
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, 180g
US
Released:
27 Mar 2020
Genre:
Jazz
Style:
Post Bop

My Dad's copy of Shelley Manne's My Fair Lady - effectively a piano trio with Andre Previn. This is Vogue Contemporary release from 1956 I an early UK pressing I guess -1B matrix) and sounds amazingly rich despite my dad's failure to look after records and the wear and tear inflicted by a 60's radiogram .

This is from the days when they used to give information about recording equipment on the sleeve - this was recorded in the Contemporary Studio in LA using "30-15,000 cycles, multiple microphone technique with one Nieman - Telefunken U47 and two AKG C-12 condenser microphones, Ampex tape recorders" . I love the simplicity behind such a great sounding recording although I suppose in 1956 that was state of the art.

Can you have nostalgia for a time before you were born or is that called being a Tory???

OIP.iqMyFP4cqbaHI3gYBVzBWwAAAA

What do you think? I've only read about it...

I like it, but then I like all her other stuff anyway so slightly biased. As with all new music, I stream it first before deciding to buy the vinyl or not.

The single is the opening track but the whole of side 2 is great.

My Dad's copy of Shelley Manne's My Fair Lady - effectively a piano trio with Andre Previn. This is Vogue Contemporary release from 1956 I an early UK pressing I guess -1B matrix) and sounds amazingly rich despite my dad's failure to look after records and the wear and tear inflicted by a 60's radiogram .

This is from the days when they used to give information about recording equipment on the sleeve - this was recorded in the Contemporary Studio in LA using "30-15,000 cycles, multiple microphone technique with one Nieman - Telefunken U47 and two AKG C-12 condenser microphones, Ampex tape recorders" . I love the simplicity behind such a great sounding recording although I suppose in 1956 that was state of the art.

Can you have nostalgia for a time before you were born or is that called being a Tory???

OIP.iqMyFP4cqbaHI3gYBVzBWwAAAA

used to have that.
Contemporary released great sounding records.

If you get a chance to pick-up a copy of Barney Kessel's take on Carmen (good cover) - that's a standout.

JNuWIfw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back