advertisement

Best way to connect 2 turntables to 1 amp

Ponty

pfm Member
What’s the best way to connect 2 turntables to the same integrated amp (with built in MM phono stage)? Can I use some sort of splitter that can permanently connect the RCA leads from 2 decks without having to muck about unplugging things? Can I have the 2 ground wires connected to the amp at the same time? Thanks for any advice!

What’s the best way to connect 2 turntables to the same integrated amp (with built in MM phono stage)? Can I use some sort of splitter that can permanently connect the RCA leads from 2 decks without having to muck about unplugging things? Can I have the 2 ground wires connected to the amp at the same time? Thanks for any advice!

I appreciate you're probably talking about your specific amp which is presumably not like this or you wouldn't be asking, but in general the easiest ways are amps with multiple phono inputs. There are phono stages with multiple inputs and (particularly vintage) pres and integrateds with multiple phono inputs. I always have several TTs connected at the same time, and this is the only way I do it.

You need an input selector such as those made by QED back in the day. You can common the earths and leave them connected.

This question came up within the past 2 weeks and, if memory serves, the concensus was don't do it. The signal that you are switching is so small that you need "perfect" switches.

Have a search - definitely less than 3 weeks ago (says he, and it turns out to be 22 days......)

Doh! Just found this in my late Grandfathers box of tricks. Can’t be that bad, can it?

And lo, the thread brought forth a solution.

What's the best way of switching between 2 phono inputs? If only there were a sort of "Phono switch" device. I wonder where one would get such a thing? If only I'd kept a box of unused audio bits, there might be something that might come in handy.

Oh.

And lo, the thread brought forth a solution.

What's the best way of switching between 2 phono inputs? If only there were a sort of "Phono switch" device. I wonder where one would get such a thing? If only I'd kept a box of unused audio bits, there might be something that might come in handy.

Oh.

You wouldn’t believe the stuff in there! I just can’t throw stuff away and good job I didn’t!

Way to go gramps.

When I asked a few months back about multiple ground wires to the amp the response was no problem, crack on. At the time I had 3 turntables on the go and trying to get them all attached to the amp was a right old faff, so I bought an earth block and connected them all through that. Not had any problems with it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
FWIW, years ago I tried a 'standard' QED input selector, and the hum was overbearing. I can only hope their dedicated phono selector has something to mitigate this. I'm sure it has.

I'd run one deck into the MM input on the amp and get a separate phono box for the other deck and then it goes into a line level input. Even a cheap phono box will be as good as or better than the one in the amp.

Thanks. The built in stage sounds very good (Yamaha 803). I’ll try the switch first and see what it does but this is a good solution if it’s noisy. The decks are an LP12 and I’m looking out for a Rega RP78 / P78.

The decks are an LP12 and I’m looking out for a Rega RP78 / P78.

No way I'd be putting another switch into a cartridge signal off an LP12. No matter how you do it, it's a downgrade. Get a separate phono stage it will be an upgrade. Even a Rega phono MM, which you can pick up for just over £100, is going to be much better than the stage in the amp. A cheaper phono stage probably will be too.

No way I'd be putting another switch into a cartridge signal off an LP12. No matter how you do it, it's a downgrade. Get a separate phono stage it will be an upgrade. Even a Rega phono MM, which you can pick up for just over £100, is going to be much better than the stage in the amp. A cheaper phono stage probably will be too.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I’ll keep an eye out.

That Beresford box looks interesting. Will there be benefits use it instead of Y cable to connect CD player to two amplifiers?

I don't have any experience with this particular unit but I used to own the Beresford speaker cable selector and there's no doubt about it, Stan Beresford makes solid products. Considering the cost, I reckon it's worth a go if you need a selector to switch between two turntables. Indeed, Stan said on the Art of Sound forum that he uses one himself for that very purpose.

Stan Beresford makes solid products. Considering the cost, I reckon it's worth a go if you need a selector to switch between two turntables.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why spend money on an in circuit switch, which can only possibly make the sound quality worse, when you could spend the money on a phono stage which will make it better?

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why spend money on an in circuit switch, which can only possibly make the sound quality worse, when you could spend the money on a phono stage which will make it better?

Sometimes worse is isn't noticeable, and sometimes worse is better ;)

advertisement

Back