advertisement

Linn launch LinnCast

It’s incredible that they don’t make such a thing...

I dallied with Linn electronics briefly - got myself a Klimax Hub (Not a streamer) and a Klimax ExactBox (not a DAC!) - so it does feel like an incredibly closed ecosystem at the moment - fine if the functionality and sound justifies it - but driving Kudos 808’s Aktive with a trio of Klimax Twins, it really didn’t...

I do wonder if they might wake up to the fact they’d sell more Hifi if they could be seen as easily integrated.

Yup, I’m not even sure if it’s true, but I now assume Linn products are only for those fully invested end-to-end in a Linn ecosystem.

Just reading stereophile, they talk about a redesign of the klimax with a new Organik DAC amongst other things, so it might be this, although given the news it is already out in the open perhaps there is even more to come....

Just reading stereophile, they talk about a redesign of the klimax with a new Organik DAC amongst other things, so it might be this, although given the news it is already out in the open perhaps there is even more to come....
Thanks, found the article. £30k for a streamer, with a proprietary Organik DAC engineered totally in house, individually hand built and hand signed by an engineer.

A fully digital LP12 with no soul .......?

Oh sorry that’s been done Eureka two you Linn !

Seriously, I suspect a new type of Roon equivalent with full digital mapping of EQ and such like based on real room measurements rather than the SO calculated approach

Hi,

It would be good if they made a stand alone streamer, without that digital pre amp inside, so that it could be used with many different systems, and I assume would cost less than having the pre amp circuits and exakt stuff inside, just a plain simple streamer with built in DAC, like they used to make.

However then again it is Linn, maybe they have teamed up with Bose :D

Cheers

John

They did drop them for a short while, but the Klimax DS and Akurate DS standalone streamers are currently available.

Yup, I’m not even sure if it’s true, but I now assume Linn products are only for those fully invested end-to-end in a Linn ecosystem.

Why?

LP12
Ekos
A range of carts
Klimax DS
Akurate DS
Klimax Solo
Klimax Twin
Akurate amps
Majik amps
Majik DSM
Several speakers

None of these things require anything else to be Linn.

Hi,

I stand corrected, they do make stand alone streamers, the Akurate DS at £6600 and the Klimax DS at £15,800.

It is strange that they do not make a pre amp, they make amps for all their range, yet only the top two streaming systems have stand alone streamers, why not the Majik range?

I would have thought that it would have been a good idea to include pre amps in their line up as then buyers could buy any of the separates and upgrade a part at a time, as people used to do.

After all people might have older Linn amps and want a better pre amp, some might never want a streamer and only use a turntable and some might want one of their amps but might have to buy a pre amp from a different company.

Cheers

John

Hi,

I stand corrected, they do make stand alone streamers, the Akurate DS at £6600 and the Klimax DS at £15,800.

It is strange that they do not make a pre amp, they make amps for all their range, yet only the top two streaming systems have stand alone streamers, why not the Majik range?

I would have thought that it would have been a good idea to include pre amps in their line up as then buyers could buy any of the separates and upgrade a part at a time, as people used to do.

After all people might have older Linn amps and want a better pre amp, some might never want a streamer and only use a turntable and some might want one of their amps but might have to buy a pre amp from a different company.

Cheers

John
Linn stopped making the DS versions some time back, and only sold DSMs and ‘System Hubs’ for a while, but added the Klimax and Akurate DSs to the catalogue again because there was still demand. Odd that they didn’t seem to check for that demand in the first place, before discontinuing the models.
The DSMs and System Hubs are pre-amps, with streaming circuitry built in. No idea for how much longer the vanilla DSs will be available though.

Mick

What’s the betting the product is going to be called the DS12....

LP12, CD12.... There is clearly history in the name.

...they’d need variant names clearly - but not beyond the wit of marketing people.

DS12
DSM12
DS12 Hub

So when its broke in about 8-10 years from now, will they service it ?

Well I think the Klimax DS is still fully supported and serviced right back to the first ones - and they came out in 2007 - and they’ll not stop supporting them on Friday and actually continue to support and maintain that for years to come - so you’re probably looking at a product with a 20 year support lifecycle - not unprecedented, but pretty amazing for hitech.

So I’d say yes. At a price though obviously. Always at a price.

I don’t know the support position on the CD12 - but that has moving parts, and bought in items, so more challenging. But they did stop making them in 2004 - so, you know...

advertisement

Back