advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

@Cereal Killer others have found that the jump from the LS40 to LS80 is easily greater than moving to the EWA interconnects (I’m not aware of anyone else with a full loom).
I have a full loom in as much as my main record source phono amp (Rega Aura) is powered by a MCS-5 and my amp by a MC-5. I have IC-25 throughout. In fact the only things that are not EWA are Russ Andrews Evo Powerkord 500s on my CD player and Roksan phono amp/PSU box and a Powerkord 300 on the Rega P10 psu. Tbh the mains cable on the CD player was a big upgrade, on the Roksan box a significant upgrade and on the P10 psu barely noticeable.

After playing about with cables on various iterations of my system, mains cables seem to make by far the biggest difference on sources and very little on some psu’s. Amps are somewhere between. Good mains cables can really lower the noise floor.

My system gold standard in noise floor is the Rega Aura, EWA power cable and EWA XLR interconnect. Very dark indeed!

Cereal killer has a point imho, as I did notice a real benefit above the expected sum of the parts to new IC-25 and the new generation 40/80 speaker cables, used together.

Ok thanks for clarifying.

The mass of the cable is really in the twinned runs of LS-40. The sleeve adds a slight amount of bulk but is a woven, quite lightweight material.

Mine is in a position where it would be a domestic issue due to appearance and flexibility, but it works ok like that and it’s a compromise I can accommodate due to the sound!

However, I can imagine that some people’s level of domestic acceptance is different to mine. Whatever I have looks less than ideal going around the fireplace, but I want a Hifi system within the room constraints and that is the consequence;)

Hi Cliff,

No the webbing is light compared to the cable and conductor, the special mix plastic has a very high density, we tried to lighten it by making the web between the conductors thinner but it was not so good sound wise lost some detail and the pick up noise was 10dB higher.
Making a thicker custom build would mean another tool and it would have to be in ceramic and then the cost would be silly very silly so it was back to K.I.S.S. again. Sorry and it weight would also be about 10% heavier than we have now and the bend , well forget that it be like a RSJ so you have to higher Bender from Futurama to bend it.
bender-1744.jpg

Hi Cliff,

No the webbing is light compared to the cable and conductor, the special mix plastic has a very high density, we tried to lighten it by making the web between the conductors thinner but it was not so good sound wise lost some detail and the pick up noise was 10dB higher.
Making a thicker custom build would mean another tool and it would have to be in ceramic and then the cost would be silly very silly so it was back to K.I.S.S. again. Sorry and it weight would also be about 10% heavier than we have now and the bend , well forget that it be like a RSJ so you have to higher Bender from Futurama to bend it.
bender-1744.jpg
Interesting what you say about trying a smaller web. I am certainly glad no sound quality compromise was made and it’s just fine in looks and size as it is. I manage ok and one channel has it folded and coiled up and the other stretched around the room.

By far the most “wow” cable upgrade I have ever experienced.

I'm of the impression that all this talk of EWA looms means nothing without an EWA amp.
I may (subject to a thousand things) be selling my little EWA Q20 amp soon, so why not help my decision along by showing me some interest so that you can let us know what you think......?

And before the obvious question gets asked, I may be trying to work out how to afford another EWA amp...

Ok thanks for clarifying.

The mass of the cable is really in the twinned runs of LS-40. The sleeve adds a slight amount of bulk but is a woven, quite lightweight material.

Mine is in a position where it would be a domestic issue due to appearance and flexibility, but it works ok like that and it’s a compromise I can accommodate due to the sound!

However, I can imagine that some people’s level of domestic acceptance is different to mine. Whatever I have looks less than ideal going around the fireplace, but I want a Hifi system within the room constraints and that is the consequence;)

So is this essentially just bi-wiring?

What does that mean then? How is it different to bi-wiring?

My understanding is Bi-wired is Amp to speakers, but with the conductor separated for the bass and the tweeter so at the terminated speaker end the wire/conductor pair as not connected together as pairs the same as Bi-Amping.
Bi-conductor are used to increase the current or power to the load /speaker or reduce the apparent impedance of the power supply/amp, This gives in a dynamic load better control and we see it as a Damping Factor.
Now EWA cable is fast so with this we have succeeded in a much better control and a better dynamic damping control than you basic and common cable designs including the last voyage into cable designs I did. And much much better than the one I did in the late 1970s a good decade for Snake Oil critics mmm.
Well it 4.30AM here time for coffee and to watch "Fringe"

Take care all, OH just a warning I am getting e-mail from a Mr Stuart Forrest with a shit and hate filled video attached spreading crap and false information about all the vaccines for the Covid Bug, yes it is from the USA before you ask. Please do not open it especially with kids about it is horrid and lies.

@Dan K I believe your next up so can you PM your address? I intend to send the LS-40's on Thursday so you get them for the weekend. I have been doing some serious listening with these cables so I will follow up when I have put a few more hours on them!

advertisement

Back