advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I ordered it around midday for £35. Did I break something?

:) As Yazz would say, ‘The Only Way Is Oop.’

My friend who is jazz naive got the album and said it is pure shit. He likes Rush, Wishbone Ash, Floyd and the like, so I thought he would have enjoyed a bit of jazz guitar noodling. He is a Doctor/Consultant so obviously he knows better than anyone else ;)

I reckon he will like it in a few years time, when he has forgotten that I recommended it to him.

In the meantime, there are two other KG cut Jazz Dispensary/Craft titles that some might be interested in, one with Ron Carter on bass:

Azar Lawrence - Summer Solstice
Azar Lawrence - Bridge Into the New Age

The Henderson/Coltrane turned up and it is very good, another reissue label to follow for sure. Annoying I’ve missed a lot of these, but I did manage to snag a copy of Summer Solstice at Juno. I’d like to find Bridge too. The Gary Bartz looks really interesting too, but looks hard to find.

Ron Carter’s CV must be amazing, he plays on a very substantial percentage of my jazz record collection!

The Henderson/Coltrane turned up and it is very good, another reissue label to follow for sure. Annoying I’ve missed a lot of these, but I did manage to snag a copy of Summer Solstice at Juno. I’d like to find Bridge too. The Gary Bartz looks really interesting too, but looks hard to find.

Ron Carter’s CV must be amazing, he plays on a very substantial percentage of my jazz record collection!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Carter_discography

Various accounts have him as the most recorded artist ever, with well over 2,000 sessions. I have 12 of his albums as leader, and heaven knows how many as session man. He's the most wonderfully lyrical bassist.

The Gary Bartz looks really interesting too, but looks hard to find.

I’d urge you to keep looking, it’s a great record IMO, with Bartz on top form (although his brief vocal performance doesn’t come close to Bey’s). The political message is as relevant today as it was then.

I’d urge you to keep looking, it’s a great record IMO, with Bartz on top form (although his brief vocal performance doesn’t come close to Bey’s). The political message is as relevant today as it was then.

I’ve just ordered it and the Rusty Bryant from the US Jazz Dispensary site, the DHL shipping option (4 weeks!) was cheap, so $63.45 for the pair delivered. I’ll no doubt get battered for some random import fees/taxation, so the final cost is anyone’s guess. Given the Bartz alone is £38 + £4 shipping at Amazon this has the potential to win. Sadly the other Azar Lawrence isn’t even mentioned on the site!

Despite the slight whiff of shredding on the first track, the Scofield/Metheny is indeed a fine thing. Glad I got my order in just before some numpty alerted the Amazon algorithm to raise the price…

advertisement

Back