advertisement

New Naim management and products

Yep. IIRC, there's one in Lyon, and a couple in the Far East (one in Aus).

I don't recall this tactic working all that well for others? Most people who are in a position to consider hi-end products are savvy enough to want to hear alternatives.

It will be interesting to see what the many new Naim products are . That will tell us the direction of travel for Naim and if they are to remain a separates Hi Fi manufacturer or become a sub brand of Focal ,
Focal-Uniti like Mini By BMW .

I don't recall this tactic working all that well for others?

The management at Focal obviously think otherwise. Naim will have little or no representation at board level now that Charlie Henderson in leaving (to be replaced by a French manager, of course).

Most people who are in a position to consider hi-end products are savvy enough to want to hear alternatives.

It seems that the target demographic will be "folks that can afford the product but are not that bothered with the details"

And everything in one box of electronics as opposed to the plethora of power supplies...

The management at Focal obviously think otherwise.

Yes, and it gives you an idea of their direction and strategy. They not looking to give buyers fair tests against other brands in Hi-fI shops but simply find rich people who will buy their products without bothering to compare them. Like Apple. The idea is to convince people that your products are so much better than the competition that it is demeaning to compare them.

It worked for Apple because, to begin with, it was actually true and today their propaganda machine is blisteringly effective. Not many have been able to replicate that success though.

It seems that the target demographic will be "folks that can afford the product but are not that bothered with the details"

And everything in one box of electronics as opposed to the plethora of power supplies...

Supernova perhaps.

Yes, and it gives you an idea of their direction and strategy. They not looking to give buyers fair tests against other brands in Hi-fI shops but simply find rich people who will buy their products without bothering to compare them. Like Apple. The idea is to convince people that your products are so much better than the competition that it is demeaning to compare them.

It worked for Apple because, to begin with, it was actually true and today their propaganda machine is blisteringly effective. Not many have been able to replicate that success though.

The Arizona shop is next door to the owners hifi shop in a strip mall. LMC Home Entertainment. The full name is “Focal Powered By Naim LMC Home Entertainment” because 99.9% of people in Arizona have no idea wtf Focal Powered By Naim means.

That and the rest of it looks a bit silly. The speakers on pedestals like mannequins...the beauty parlor look of the shops...there is no futuristic look to the design of the space that in any way compares to an Apple shop. Wasted money in marketing efforts, trying to have a coherent look across borders for a niche of a niche of a niche product. What a mess.

I predict most of these shops will be shut in a year.

Depends really, they are for sure being monitored tight, with focus on both cost and sales margins.
Perhaps they are placed on expensive adresses ?
FWIW, Vervent did buy out some distributors, with potential much larger profit in sight.

Tend to agree here. Has anyone in HiFi had this model succeed? Linn tried it in Harrods and afaik, it’s no longer there; Devialet tried it in several venues and again, I think they stopped that model. Some could say Bose or Sony did make it work, but they are far more mainstream brands than Focal/Naim.

I think the naim multi box system is far removed from where the market is at the moment. Fewer boxes & active speakers is the way forward.

I think it's a reflection of the generation change now.All the shows I have been to the last 5 years,Hi Fi News - Wigwam there has been hardly any people under 40 in attendence.
I still believe Rega will survive as they offer VFM product. But Naim with their ridiculous prices on their product.I am not saying it's bad and if you enjoy it etc.Have a real long term problem.
Their greed has caught up with them and all this... It's hand made in our factory...so is Rega and all the other UK HI Fi companies and let's face it their Muso is made in China...enough said.
Focal are a great company again like Rega offer affordable, great sounding loudspeakers.I know you can go up the range with Sopra @ Utopia but the more affordable speakers are superb VFM.

Interesting news, meanwhile I'm just about to perform the Tibbs Split Earth mod on my Chrome Bumper 32.5 / HiCap...

How I see it is this...

Naim 1970-2010 was the age of the hifi separate for the British/English speaking home.

2010-2025 is the period of transition between hifi for the old faithful to the all out lifestyle product/brand they need to be.

The future may well be a streamlined portfolio, gone are the pre-power separates and PSUs, and a wider range of all-in-one or wireless mobile-audio gear that cost a bit more than say a Sonos or Cambridge Audio equivalent, but would still appeal to the 30-50 year old 'aspirational' demographic.

And then their audiophile operation will be those 5-6 figure systems aimed at rich international buyers, high-end hospitality, luxury hotels etc while not necessarily sounding the best, it's the brand appeal and what it projects that will ensure sales.

As far as I'm aware, the head of design at Naim/Focal is and remains Simon Matthews, London educated and so far as I'm aware still based here. Responsible for designing the Uniti range that personally I consider magnificent. Not sure there is a better quality attractive range of "lifestyle" audio products anywhere, and they have been the saving grace of Naim financially. The multiple box Naim thing is getting very niche. One of my kids, aged 20, loves rap, R&B, etc, loves his MuSo Qb2 and were he ever to have any money he might progress up to the Uniti Nova.

From what I've read, Naim management has been a shambles and it's only the more recent products that have saved things.

My other son has Rega and I've recently purchased a Cambridge Audio CXA81. Fantastic quality products for the money. The latter has Aptx HD Bluetooth and the next Qualcomm upgrade due this summer for true HD Bluetooth will make high quality streaming even cheaper and easy. I hope this is built in to the new products.

advertisement

Back