advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I have a friend that collects Gazelles and would like this. The last time we rode together he had one built up with the now deleted Campag Potenza groupset. Very nice looking bike.

I bought this as a donor bike as it had a few Campag bits on I needed to finish off the Woodrup, and it was cheaper to buy this whole bike than it was the bits individually. Bonus being it was only walking distance from my place so I rode it home!

Wasn't intending to keep it but it rides really nice and in effect it hasn't cost me anything hence tarting it up with the 600 groupset and wheels.

Halfords has completely met my expectations as regards service level :rolleyes:.
Shame that Boardmans are exclusive to Halfords.

After 4 or 5 rides on the ADV9.0 the freewheel started to sound very dry and would "crack" under load - as the pawls click into the ratchet. This was obviously Formula hubs well known quality, it was most likely assembled with no grease.
I was not concerned about this, 30 mins to do a quick service and all would be well for 6 months or more... er, no!
I could not see any way to get the freewheel off the hub. At one end of the axle it says "Loosen --->", however there seems to be no way to hold the axle to loosen it. Normally one would hold the axle with an 11mm hex wrench, but the inside of the axle is cyclindrical. Even Google could not elicit any instructions for dismantling this hub. Apparently Formula is famous for its lack of service info.

I decided to take it to Halfords to ask how it comes to bits. 4 visits later it is fixed and they were able to confirm my fears that the disc needs to be removed first (which is just pants!).
Visit 1: Called in on spec... no mechanic on site!
Visit 2: Had to book a slot. Arrived to find them dealing with another customer, in my time-slot. Eventually they took the wheel to the "mechanic". The "mechanic" seems to exist only behind closed doors. The "mechanic" didn't know how it comes apart. Turns out the "mechanic" is not really a mechanic, just a member of staff who dabbles with bikes.
Visit 3: Had to wait 2 weeks to see the real mechanic. Took the wheel in and was told to go home and wait for the call for when it is fixed. Got a call in the afternoon to say it had been dismantled but the mechanic didn't have time to grease it and reassemble until 2 days time!!
Visit 4: 2 days later picked up the wheel serviced and greased. Still never got to see the fake or real mechanic but the assistant told me that the disc had to be removed then the axle spacer will come out and a tommy bar can be used to hold the axle.

Should have just bought the £16 tool to remove the Shimano disc and done it myself! I'm going to have to buy the tool anyway, for future servicing.

Had a really nasty close pass yesterday. Out riding with a mate on a wide road from Hope Valley to Hathersage. There is a narrow cycle lane which is always awash with gravel & muck at its edge. My friend was in the lane & I was to the side of him. A driver in a Passat estate accelerated up behind us, blasted the horn & went past with about four inches to spare.

There was no traffic coming in the other direction, even if there was the road was plenty wide enough. This was a malevolent punishment pass, solely designed to frighten the cyclist & potentially injure. My friend was rather angry & a little shook up as he had a really bad smash two years ago, involving a careless driver, which left him with life changing injuries.

Shortly after this a gentlemen in a BMW 5-Series went past us slow & wide with ultimate courtesy. No one we inconvenienced in any way.

I am getting increasingly pissed off with this. I just don’t understand the hatred towards cyclists.

I am getting increasingly pissed off with this. I just don’t understand the hatred towards cyclists.

Sorry to hear this. I think we've discussed the thug/entitlement culture that's behind this behavior before... sadly.

My wife and daughter were out in the car the other day. At a narrow awkward corner they were following a couple of cars which could not get past a pair of cyclists. The 1st driver was making agressive and pointless attempts to overtake before the corner!!! He did manage to overtake after the corner and then braked hard and deliberately held up the cyclists, and about 10 other cars. This went on for about 100 yards at about 5 MPH up a hill, with plenty of shouting and gesticulating both ways.

Truly pathetic behaviour! It is such a shame that drivers like this don't get punished.

I was trying to think what I would have done in this situation. I would like to think that I would have just pulled over onto the verge and "fiddled" with the bike so that the driver looked like right nob in front of the other drivers. If I'd been on the MTB I would probably have ridden on the verge, undertook and totally ignored the motorist.

Sorry to hear this. I think we've discussed the thug/entitlement culture that's behind this behavior before... sadly.

My wife and daughter were out in the car the other day. At a narrow awkward corner they were following a couple of cars which could not get past a pair of cyclists. The 1st driver was making agressive and pointless attempts to overtake before the corner!!! He did manage to overtake after the corner and then braked hard and deliberately held up the cyclists, and about 10 other cars. This went on for about 100 yards at about 5 MPH up a hill, with plenty of shouting and gesticulating both ways.

Truly pathetic behaviour! It is such a shame that drivers like this don't get punished.

I was trying to think what I would have done in this situation. I would like to think that I would have just pulled over onto the verge and "fiddled" with the bike so that the driver looked like right nob in front of the other drivers. If I'd been on the MTB I would probably have ridden on the verge, undertook and totally ignored the motorist.
It is the false equivalence of putting a riders life at risk with being delayed by 10 seconds. The guy who I was riding with is a senior medic, just nicest of people & he basically said that he really hopes they come a cropper. Only an accident will change such people’s behaviour.

Sadly not all drivers are considerate when it comes to dealing with cyclists. Driving like that would be a big fail during a driving test but once they're out there on their own, some people just don't care. It can be frustrating and dangerous. And to think, traffic is still lighter than normal just now!

Certainly back in the 80s motorcyclists weren’t allowed to fit anything at all to their helmets, and there were tight controls on the shape, with no sharp angles allowed. Seems to be a free for all now, so perhaps helmets are of a far better design. I still wouldn’t fit a cam to one though.

Certainly back in the 80s motorcyclists weren’t allowed to fit anything at all to their helmets, and there were tight controls on the shape, with no sharp angles allowed. Seems to be a free for all now, so perhaps helmets are of a far better design. I still wouldn’t fit a cam to one though.
There is no legal requirement to wear a cycle helmet, most manufacturers explicitly advise not to affix things to the helmet. Specialized don’t like you to wear a cap under theirs.

Had a really nasty close pass yesterday. Out riding with a mate on a wide road from Hope Valley to Hathersage. There is a narrow cycle lane which is always awash with gravel & muck at its edge. My friend was in the lane & I was to the side of him. A driver in a Passat estate accelerated up behind us, blasted the horn & went past with about four inches to spare.

There was no traffic coming in the other direction, even if there was the road was plenty wide enough. This was a malevolent punishment pass, solely designed to frighten the cyclist & potentially injure. My friend was rather angry & a little shook up as he had a really bad smash two years ago, involving a careless driver, which left him with life changing injuries.

Shortly after this a gentlemen in a BMW 5-Series went past us slow & wide with ultimate courtesy. No one we inconvenienced in any way.

I feel aggrieved you have to suffer these like this. This type of (repeated) incident is why I gave up on road riding, I felt it was just a matter of time before I’d come a cropper. Had years and years of great road riding, but as I got older I’d become more and more concerned about the possible consequences of poor driving. In the end I just switched to mountain biking and feel much safer overall.

Going to take a bike break - had a ride on my Ribble 105 gravel bike and really enjoyed it. Climbed off and was in a lot of pain - I have a hydrocele (fluid retention) in my testicle ,which has now gone from the cricket ball to the grapefruit stage . The treatment is fairly primitive but it can't come quick enough - but the NHS has other priorities at the mo. I'm wondering if a cut out saddle would help ?
Apologies to anyone indulging in a late night grapefruit.
Cheers
Tony

I'm wondering if a cut out saddle would help ?
Apologies to anyone indulging in a late night grapefruit.

I’m just picturing said plum finding its way through the cut out, then you hitting a pothole and going over the bars...

Yup. Haven't been out out on roads for a long while, just not worth the risk.
I go downhilling in the alps each summer and know the risks...it's my own fault if I have an accident, and accept it.
Bought a decent road bike in Oz, but used it mainly on bike paths (of which there were many). Got hit by a car once on the road, and that was enough. When I came back to the UK I brought the road bike back but didn't use it... sold it.

I feel aggrieved you have to suffer these like this. This type of (repeated) incident is why I gave up on road riding, I felt it was just a matter of time before I’d come a cropper. Had years and years of great road riding, but as I got older I’d become more and more concerned about the possible consequences of poor driving. In the end I just switched to mountain biking and feel much safer overall.
I don’t really enjoy MTB, not for me & doesn’t keep me as fit. I’ve become conditioned by it now, just expect the worst from drivers. I lucky to live close to the Peaks & Strines Moor, road cycling paradise which I refuse to be cowed from.

Going to take a bike break - had a ride on my Ribble 105 gravel bike and really enjoyed it. Climbed off and was in a lot of pain - I have a hydrocele (fluid retention) in my testicle ,which has now gone from the cricket ball to the grapefruit stage . The treatment is fairly primitive but it can't come quick enough -
Blimey. Leave the swelling doc, just take away the pain.
Hope you get well soon.

advertisement

Back