advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly right, but so many people just don't get this! We need some proper public information missives outside of the hands face space mantra!
The lack of leadership resulted in delaying what needed to be done significantly. For clarity, in case it is not clear to anyone, this caused 3 problems:

1. Bringing in tiers and lockdown too late resulted in the virus spreading faster and faster, which has resulted in far more hospital admissions (NHS over loading), long Covid and Covid deaths than their should have been.
2. With the number of instances of Covid being so high, a longer lockdown timeframe has been required to get the virus under control.
3. With the number of instances of Covid being so high, it has resulted in more virus mutations (number of which are related to number of Covid instances), which will lead to mutations which are more transmissible being more prevalent (as we are seeing, because they infect more effectively and therefore the number of instances grow more quickly and replace the older strains over time). With an added risk that the mutation could be more deadly.

Daughter has had her second vaccine dose, she says the unit were she works has slightly less C-19 patients (it was wall to wall C-19 patients)

(Then we had a great chat about chest drains and the contents... )

Moving forward it may well be worth investing several red buses in self contained (within the UK) vaccine manufacturing and bottling plants to cater for future mutations of covid.

My daughters school tested for a full day today, nonstop. The poor teachers - undistanced, kids breathing in their faces all day, unvaccinated. I'm embarrassed by it - I refused and said we'd do it at home if they gave us the kit, which failed to materialise...
My daughter goes for her test at Easingwold School on Tuesday, let’s see how they perform.

This seems unbelievably kafkaesque and if I had school age kids and was working away from the house I would be reconsidering whether to let the school test them, since as a contact I'd have to isolate even though the test result is, almost certainly, wrong.

When the LFD test is taken at an “assisted test centre” such as a school, the Department for Education confirmed that children who “falsely” test positive – ie they subsequently take and receive a negative PCR test – are not allowed to stop self-isolating and return to school.

Prof Sheila Bird, a member of the Royal Statistical Society, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. She said it was “very likely” a positive LFD result would be false.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...in-england-very-likely-to-get-false-positives

Relatively informed and probing interview with Susan Hopkins on Marr today, though I can imagine one thing about teachers which will anger some.

Interesting piece in The Observer today about how testing waste is probably more effective that lateral flow. I understand this is going to be another tool to see potential spikes in infections quicker.

There's going to be a surge in cases in Glasgow next week...

_117484657_gettyimages-1231576119.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back