advertisement

Hard Bop. Give us your top 5 recommends.

Colonel_Mad

pfm Member
Having a hard bop morning here. Think this might be my favourite Jazz genre. What are your top 5 recommendations? I’m looking for more of this kind of thing.

I have been checking over my collection and adding albums over the last few months.

I am sure there will be many disagreements, but I will try and illustrate the albums that I think are accessible and not too ‘out there,’ for the people who are new to jazz, and especially Hard Bop.
(I don’t know that much about jazz, I try and get albums that I can listen to as a whole. There will be some Jazz Masters on pfm I bet)

First choice.

R-757945-1327361941.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers* ‎– Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers
Genre:
Jazz
Style:
Hard Bop
Year:

Amazon Tony L. pleaser.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08M2FXZLP/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Hammond organ can be a bit marmite for some, but there is plenty of horn as well...

I have this Speakers Corner issue which sounds very very good.

R-1680003-1434946783-6439.jpeg.jpg

More Images

The Incredible Jimmy Smith* ‎– The Cat
Label:
Speakers Corner Records ‎– 901364-1, Speakers Corner Records ‎– V6-8587, Verve Records ‎– V6-8587
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo, 180g
US
Released:
09 Feb 2000
Genre:
Jazz
Style:
Soul-Jazz, Hard Bop

This is a version available on Amazon, unsure of the sound, but it ain’t Dol. o_O

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5DXIXI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you're interested in something recorded more recently you might enjoy The Cookers - a bit of a hard bop supergroup and well worth going to see play if you get the chance.

Somethin’ Else isn’t hard bop.

Hard bop as a genre is rather diffuse though.

I think I have a few that fall into this genre, probably the last few from Miles on the Riverside label; Steamin’, Relaxin’, Cookin’?

Like any genre I guess you can argue the toss. Leonard Feather's original 1958 sleeve notes do make reference to Art Blakey's association with 'hard bop' though.
Well, he played on KoB & Somethin’ Else has more in common with that, IMHO. ‘Know what I mean’ is definitely hard bop though.

I don’t really do pfm lists (to keep with tradition if asked for five I have to think of at least ten then add a couple of afterthoughts), but venturing outside the usual suspects you might like to try Joe Lovano. He explores the full range from hard boppish to freeish to ambientish - Village Rhythm and Friendly Fire are a couple of good examples in the first style.

Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins Vol 1
Horace Parlan - On the Spur of the Moment
Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks
Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame

Monk ‘ Genius of Modern Music’ or Sonny Rollins ‘Saxaphone Colossus’ maybe?

Archie Shepp - ‘The Magic of Ju-Ju’I played the other day, but I think it is referred to as ‘Post Bop?’ - 1967

Pretty much anything on Blue Note, Prestige and Riverside between about 1955 and 1962 qualifies! There are very few misses on these labels.

Art Blakey Jazz Messengers ... Live at Birdland Vol1(Bluenote)
Jackie McLean ... Bluesnik (Bluenote)
Lee Morgan ... Take 12 (Riverside)
Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (Bluenote)
Ernie Henry ... Seven Standards and a Blues ( Riverside)

mixture of obvious and more obscure

advertisement

Back