advertisement

How long does the modern, Rega, ikea look have left?

Habitat made some great stuff. I never thought Ikea was that radical at all, they initially filtered existing high-end design ideas down to a low-cost mass-market, though seem to have blanded-out over recent decades. Some of the earlier stuff is quite sought after now though. I actually have a couple of the more collectable examples:

49651756017_bf04756e47_b.jpg

I have three of those spectacularly uncomfortable ‘80s chairs and the red lamp thing. Can’t remember what they are called off the top of my head, but they are definitely worth way more now than what they cost. You can picture how ‘80s my flat was with three of the chairs, a black Xerxes, three-box Naim and black Kan IIs!
They were called Jarpen in the 80s. IKEA remade them in 2018 for their 75th anniversary, and called them Raåne. We have two of them that we found used. We first saw one in an AirBnB we stayed at in Santander, and thought it was amazingly comfortable. It's all about the cushions (bottom and back, down filled). These sell for about 130-150€ used even though they were only 49-69€ new at IKEA in 2018...

Habitat was at its peak under the design leadership of Tom Dixon: wonderful new and older classics at real world prices. I like Ikea a lot and have few bits and bobs, but the stuff tends to fall apart. I love the current Rega designs and would pick out the 10 on its looks alone, but my current, cheaper, Vertere is rather better in all areas.

It’s a bit of a false comparison but IKEA have done pretty well with their design ethos.

I am all over the place with TTs, I generally prefer a more traditional look & definitely want a lid. Conversely, I do like the look of the SME 20/30 but really dislike the big blingy high mass designs (Avid acutus).

I really contemplated getting a Rega P8 to replace my LP12 but the looks completely put me off. If I was going to replace my TT I would probably go SME or even a Garrard 301; unlikely I’ll ever bother.

I like the chunky acrylic and solid design of Clearaudio.
I think this highlights 'the thing'. No matter how much we have an idea of the type of presentation we want, buyers still want a certain look; classic, wood, minimalist, acrylic, all metal behemoth, heavy platter. When you get to the P10 level you can afford to choose whatever sound and look you want.

FWIW, if I was starting again with a beginner's budget I'd be going for Rega for the look and performance every day of the week; unbeatable at the lower end of hifi. Get above a grand or so and the world is your oyster, especially if you buy secondhand.....and anyone looking for a bargain would be a fool not to consider it.

Whilst not a massive fan of their sound, I have nothing but respect for Rega's design ethos and engineering, it's proper stuff and I think it looks fantastic.

They're a bit like Apple in that you're buying into a whole eco system, very rare that you see a Rega TT with a different arm or cart, or none Rega phono stage for that matter.

The Rega 2 was my very first TT. Great with its Goldring cartridge. I later purchased an Apollo CD player.Again, striking for the money with its error correction and top loading design. They really don’t make any duds. You can’t say this for other companies. They also present good VFM and service. You could live with their products for a long while.

The question is though; would you be prepared to pay the much higher pricing that would be result of using much more expensive materials and production methods?
You're joking, aren't you? Hifi furniture is astronomically expensive compared to mainstream models. This is not a function of materials and manufacturing any more than the difference between expensive perfumes and those in supermarket deodorant at 99p.

I think the current fashion for black rectangular designs reflects the age of the target market. Most of us here grew up in the 60s-80s, we grew up with the designs of that time. Our tastes are slow to move on. We could have designs where form followed function and we deviated from rectangles, after all records are and have always been round. Anyone with any design skill could generate any number of fresh designs, and they would if the iPhone generation were buying, but they aren't.

Actually, my first turntable was circular. It was a Phillips' something or other, and had a speaker built into the lid.

They're a bit like Apple in that you're buying into a whole eco system, very rare that you see a Rega TT with a different arm or cart, or none Rega phono stage for that matter.
It's the same as Linn, and I don't get the approach with either. Owners of either brand could really eke out every last drop of performance by looking to other brands. I've tweaked a Rega Planar and LP12 and made both perform as I'd like them to by stepping out of that 'eco system'.

It's the same as Linn, and I don't get the approach with either. Owners of either brand could really eke out every last drop of performance by looking to other brands. I've tweaked a Rega Planar and LP12 and made both perform as I'd like them to by stepping out of that 'eco system'.

I don't really agree, you see all manner of arms and carts on LP12s, I can't remember ever seeing a non Rega arm on one of their decks.

I don't really agree, you see all manner of arms and carts on LP12s, I can't remember ever seeing a non Rega arm on one of their decks.
You do see all manner of arms on Linns but there is a large representation of owners who wouldn't dream of fitting anything else, and are vocal about other LP12s which have aftermarket mods.
Rega owners tend to stick to their own brand cartridges because they don't offer VTA adjustment, and don't attach any value to VTA adjustment - which is bloody stupid.

Not since they produced the RB250 & 300 in the ‘80s, but prior to that you could spec a SME cut plinth on the Planer 2 & 3. Here’s a Planar 2 on eBay. I’d rather like to find a mint, boxed SME-cut Planar 3 as a spare deck, it would be a nice thing to have tucked away.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'd trust any ancient particle board or MDF plinth compared to the P6 flexy foam efforts - no-one wants a smiley faced turntable.

I think the current fashion for black rectangular designs reflects the age of the target market. Most of us here grew up in the 60s-80s, we grew up with the designs of that time. Our tastes are slow to move on. We could have designs where form followed function and we deviated from rectangles, after all records are and have always been round. Anyone with any design skill could generate any number of fresh designs, and they would if the iPhone generation were buying, but they aren't.
When I was a hifi kit obsessive in the late seventies early eighties there were several turntables available that were drum shaped, Notts Dais, Ariston RD-40

advertisement

Back