advertisement

What has happened to (small) speaker prices

I love the style and look of the Apple. I’m just more used to Windows based devices and can maintain and fix when necessary.

Windows was what I used at work for many years. I hated it. The two Windows laptops I've owned lasted a couple of years at best, whereas the MacBooks usually manage more like five. (But I am crap at fixing things).

Quad vena 2
Nice amp...I use a quad 909..quad stuff rocks..pipe and slippers my arse...I think if it were me I would keep my ruarks..maybe dynaudio? They are not as hard to drive as people say..if you had a 909? I would say AE1 mk2 all the way...but the AEs need oomph..keep your ruarks very nice speakers..spend the money on cables instead! Lol

Nice amp...I use a quad 909..quad stuff rocks..pipe and slippers my arse...I think if it were me I would keep my ruarks..maybe dynaudio? They are not as hard to drive as people say..if you had a 909? I would say AE1 mk2 all the way...but the AEs need oomph..keep your ruarks very nice speakers..spend the money on cables instead! Lol
I initially thought of using Quad with my Maggies. Thought it may be a nice match

I look at some pro gear and wonder how manufacturer makes any profit at all......like Tannoy VX range.
I don't mind black painted finish, or black vinyl. That fancy veneer works out very expensive.

You might be right. The phono stage is good too. I’ve been experimenting with a Graham Slee se2 and I prefer the venas internal phono stage.

The ruarks are v well made and have that all important guild of master craftsman badge on the back!

Yes, and I notice your omission of 'supply' as it's irrelevant in this type of high end consumer goods. Compare with 'luxury' ladies hand bags or, even more noticable, perfumes. The higher the price, the more sought after it is.

Being rich today isn't as it used to be. Every one can afford a car and speed limit's are the same for every one. Your luxury apartment in Monaco is even more cramped than a student ones in Leeds. And the poor neighbours old stand mount speakers sound at least as good as the new mega buck ones...

Veblen goods

Decent UK handmade cabinet are expensive regardless of size, and good drivers cost c£300 each. Plus, all the trendy accessories such as WBT terminals, high quality cross-over parts and cabling etc. Then add packaging, shipment costs, manufacturers profit before the retailers cut and you're kinda in the £3/4k RRP mark for a high class speaker, regardless of size.
I'm not sure that a speaker with £3k rrp will have drivers costing £300 each? Maybe £100 each. In fact I'm surprised sometimes how little the drivers cost, that's not to say they don't sound great. But I think k a lot of the money goes on cabinets, research, and general overheads

Hifi inflation has been discussed before.
Check price of LS3/5a in 1970's and apply inflation calculator. Current prices are way ahead.
Some pro gear has gone down in price. Best example is Beyer DT990 Pro, costs exactly the same number of pounds now as 35 years ago.

I'm not sure that a speaker with £3k rrp will have drivers costing £300 each? Maybe £100 each. In fact I'm surprised sometimes how little the drivers cost, that's not to say they don't sound great. But I think k a lot of the money goes on cabinets, research, and general overheads

We should also presume that speaker manufacturers that buys drivers in thousands pay much less than the prices that are quoted to DIY'ers.

One reason often given for the ridiculous hike in hifi prices is that the market is shrinking as audiophiles get older and die and so the manufacturer must make more per unit. Apparently there just aren't a big enough number of young people to replace the old ones.

That is unquestionably a factor, but we also have to factor-in a market absolutely saturated by stuff heavily subsidised and made with improbably low-wage labour in the Chinese dictatorship and elsewhere. As such there is a huge jump in the market from stuff like IAG, Kef, Q Acoustics etc, which are all good products and sell in high quantities, and the now boutique UK, EU and US manufactures. This flooding of an already contracting market diminishes the sales prospects for the remaining companies still that use properly paid craftsmanship and traditional skills, and therefore pushes their prices ever upwards. The second hand market is also obviously a factor as audio is a mature technology aside from digital so given it is contracting there is a decent supply of very high quality used equipment, though this is increasing in value too of late.

When my youngest son was about fifteen he asked for new trainers, costing about £100! I said to him 'OK, but that's more than I would spend on trainers so tell you what. I'll give you half and you can put the rest to it?'. He had plenty of money in the bank but he didn't buy them ;0)
Cute ! This proofs branding doesn’t always work.

Hifi inflation has been discussed before.
Check price of LS3/5a in 1970's and apply inflation calculator. Current prices are way ahead.
Some pro gear has gone down in price. Best example is Beyer DT990 Pro, costs exactly the same number of pounds now as 35 years ago.
You’re assuming it will be the same product and it almost certainly isn’t.

I don't get why hi fi and also computer/laptop prices have gone up while TV's are as cheap as chips these days, and domestic appliances seem fairly static

advertisement

Back