advertisement

Stand mounted loudspeakers

Clothears

In the near future my wife and I are faced with downsizing!
Any thoughts on smaller loudspeakers please?
Current setup:
Linn LP12/Ekos/Dynavector
Dynavector amplifiers
CAD CAT, CAT and Groundsource
Shahinian Hawk speakers
Thanks for any input.

Sound preferences?
Types of music favoured?
Maximum size allowable in new location?

Slim floor standers take up no more space than a stand mount. If you are buying used prices tend to be softer.

Thanks for these comments.
Music tastes just about anything with prog rock at the forefront. Not a fan of rap though.
Budget could stretch to five figures although any suggestions will obviously be listened to prior to any investment.
My thoughts for stand mounted speakers is the liklehood of close to wall placement being necessary.
Thanks again.

The footprint of a speaker like the Compass is probably smaller than many stand mounted speakers.

A lo of people are raving about the Dynaudio Special 40; given where you are now I would say you need something of this calibre if the downsize in size isn't also going to result in a downsize in quality.

I’m a big fan of Mark Audio Cesti MB / MBR. I will shortly have a pair of each. I’ve downsized from larger speakers (Neat XL6 and Motive 2) so know what you’ll be going through. You’ll never get the same wallop as larger cabinets but you’ll focus on different things. The sound quality and imaging is incredible. They are also beautifully made and finished, works of art really with the grills off. Available from KJF audio (Stefan @orangeart on here) for silly money.

I’m a big fan of Mark Audio Cesti MB / MBR. I will shortly have a pair of each. I’ve downsized from larger speakers (Neat XL6 and Motive 2) so know what you’ll be going through. You’ll never get the same wallop as larger cabinets but you’ll focus on different things. The sound quality and imaging is incredible. They are also beautifully made and finished, works of art really with the grills off. Available from KJF audio (Stefan @orangeart on here) for silly money.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Silly money indeed.

ATC SCM40s, or SCM40As if you are brave enough to consider going active. There’s no way back.

Another vote for a small floor stander (unless they need to go on a shelf, which I can understand as part of downsizing). I have some Kudos X2's I ended up with for a second system years ago and although I keep thinking I should sell them to fund my Harbeth Compact 7 itch I just have not as they do such a great job and 'fit right in' as small and simple looking. Work well just 12 inches from a wall also without too much issue.

Thanks for these comments.
Music tastes just about anything with prog rock at the forefront. Not a fan of rap though.
Budget could stretch to five figures although any suggestions will obviously be listened to prior to any investment.
My thoughts for stand mounted speakers is the liklehood of close to wall placement being necessary.
Thanks again.
Linn SARA.......I’ll get my coat.

It will be a tough thing to get anything close to Hawks sound in a stand mounter! I would surely try as mentioned, Arcs, Compass, Larc, but they will barely be a patch on your Hawks. Never know though!

advertisement

Back