advertisement

Why should NHS have a pay rise?

Many nurse do hundreds of hours overtime a year. It's not paid .They do it for free

If you complain they will sometimes put you through a time management disciplinary as you should apparently be able to do your work in 37.5 hours

NHS Pensions are not that generous now (not bad compared to many though, still) and there are several different schemes in operation depending on your age. It is a minefield. My wife is due to retire from the NHS in about 4 years - will not have a 'full' contribution history and trying to understand what her pension will be is not easy. It will be better than mine - despite her earnings being mostly lower than mine and I have diligently saved into private and work schemes for about 40 years now. The one advantage is that my private pots are just that, mine, - and will not be 'lost' when I finally peg it - unless I have spent it all by then.
your wife's nhs pension will not be lost when she dies , you should get 50% of it

It beggars belief that posting shite on here like the post you are responding to isn’t sanctioned.

Worth pointing out that this appears to have fallen onto whether Drs or Nurses should get a pay rise; let’s not forget the porters & cleaning staff who have probably been more at risk from Covid than the medics.

I think Drs probably do OK but there is no doubt that Nurses & support staff are underpaid.

The call for a 12.5% pay rise is unlikely to be successful; I fear strike action will be counter productive. The usual suspects from media land are just as adept at building hero’s as destroying them.

4c77913ee8cdc961e93cd8c3361a724a0452b1f9.jpeg

I am perhaps at odds with many but I don’t see why they should get a rise when most other public sector workers have a pay freeze and until fairly recently have not had an increase for years, in fact our pay has been slashed in real terms due to inflation.

I am not denigrating the work they have put in and the emotional and mental health affect the pandemic has had on them. However there seems to be an assumption that the long hours that have been put in are out of kindness, in fact all hours over the standard 37.5 hours are overtime.

Their jobs are not or will never be at risk. Other public service workers especially in local government face the prospect of job cuts when the Tories cut back funding and when financial impact of the pandemic comes home to roost.

There is also the impact millions will face in the private sector when all the mortgage and rent payments have to be paid when a lot are on benefits not to mention all the other expenses such as car loans etc.

I am sure I will receive a lot of flack but to single out the NHS for a pay increase is a real kick in the teeth for other workers also having deal with the pandemic many of whom are also suffering mental health and emotional issues.

It is interesting, and I have to say I admire your bravery in posting this. PFM is not especially charitable or understanding with people who dare to question the default position! On a personal level, with my family this has been very much on my mind. About half the immediate family of working age are in the NHS, and I can see exactly where you are coming from. All of them have had a hard time to some degree, but can I honestly say the Drs who have been working Covid wards (and no mistake have been working hard) are not in a far better position than those in the private sector who have lost their jobs or had their hours or wages cut? There is a very complex picture here when you compare public and private sector pay, and certainly not all NHS employees are as well remunerated as others... but, within my family the NHS employees out earned the private sector employees significantly before Covid. During the gap has widened and several in the private sector lost their jobs. I think some of them, my brother-in-law especially, has found some of it a bit embarrassing, being treated like a martyr for 'just getting on with it and doing his job' as he would have it, while seemingly everyone is far less concerned about other people around him who are having a far worse time than he is. I absolutely think you are right that this being at the top of so many people's agendas rather than say the 650,000 hospitality workers who have lost their jobs altogether etc. etc. is rather tone-deaf and actually indicative of a particularly vile sort of middle-class snobbery that sees a healthcare professional having to settle for a modest pay rise as somehow worse than a "lesser" worker being deprived of their livelihood altogether.

I did say N.H.S. staff

Sorry, BT, you wrote (my emphasis):

N.H.S. Trained Nurses do not get paid overtime. Never have done. It doesn’t exist

They frequently work extra hours for nothing. Because they care.

And, unless things have changed recently, most of the nurses I knew worked as agency staff (ie overtime) and got paid for it, and certainly more than they'd get paid if they did overtime. :)

I’ve given at least an annual party membership fee to The Good Law Project and I’d suggest Labour members to cancel their memberships and do the same. The only real opposition to the Tories at present is independent crowd-funded protest groups. The Westminster career machine that Labour represent these days has failed us. It is a disgrace and embarrassment to the party’s past history.
The Good law Project is not a Political Party, cannot be voted for, cannot form an Opposition, cannot form a Government. The Tories see them as an inconvenience only. I suspect the majority of the electorate have no idea who they are. I suspect the majority of the electorate actually have no interest in Politics.

Many nurse do hundreds of hours overtime a year. It's not paid .They do it for free

If you complain they will sometimes put you through a time management disciplinary as you should apparently be able to do your work in 37.5 hours
Working for free is a big part of the problem. If it did not happen then overtime would be paid or more staff would have to be employed or more people would die. That is a political issue. Goodwill is often abused,

On the second point, are these people not in a Union? If not they should join.

We don't seem to have had an educated opinion about the question of whether or not overtime is paid for nursing staff, if it isn't maybe the most important issue should be implementation of that.

Surely otherwise minimum wage rules are broken and there were working time directive faults.

I thought most businesses would pay by time now for flexible workers?

This is copied from the relevant section of Agenda for Change, the NHS Terms and Conditions handbook. I pored over this when I was working, there is nothing excluding nursing staff

Section 3: Overtime payments
DOWNLOAD FULL HANDBOOKDOWNLOAD THIS SECTION
3.1 All staff in pay bands 1 to 7 will be eligible for overtime payments. There is a single harmonised rate of time-and–a-half for all overtime, with the exception of work on general public holidays, which will be paid at double time.

3.2 Overtime payments will be based on the hourly rate provided by basic pay plus any long-term recruitment and retention premia.

3.3 Part-time employees will receive payments for the additional hours at plain time rates until their hours exceed standard hours of 37.5 hours a week.1

3.4 The single overtime rate will apply whenever excess hours are worked over full-time hours, unless time off in lieu is taken, provided the employee’s line manager or team leader has agreed with the employee to this work being performed outside the standard hours.

3.5 Staff may request to take time off in lieu as an alternative to overtime payments. However, staff who, for operational reasons, are unable to take time off in lieu within three months must be paid at the overtime rate.

3.6 Senior staff paid in pay bands 8 or 9 will not be entitled to overtime payments.

3.7 Time off in lieu of overtime payments will be at plain time rates.

advertisement

Back