advertisement

Labour response to the Budget - a prediction

My daughter in law is an experienced primary school teacher of 10 years and she has to go into school to teach the children of key workers as normal. Additionally she has to produce online materials with voiceover (mandatory) for the children of non- key workers and be available to monitor and assist them online when help is needed. She also has to produce teaching packs for those children who have no internet access or access to a laptop and get them delivered. Much of that has to be done at home with two young children who are at a different school and need home schooling for part of the time either because their school hours/days are reduced or a child in their class has tested positive and the school has no option but to send them home. So everything has to be done three times. Bear in mind that normally she leaves for school at 7.30 am and gets home around 6pm, works at home on marking etc until 10pm and on Sundays.

In the world of stats it is worth posting this one again:

Dido Harding/Serco Test & Trace: £22bn as of three months ago (Reuters).

NASA Perseverance Mars Rover full project cost (inc getting it there): $2.7bn (Forbes).

As ever, Tories gonna Tory.
Yes, it’s a disgrace but sadly those who really want rid of them are stuck with them.

Whilst a small sample, I have four restaurant clients, all of whom have been able to preserve their workers jobs courtesy of the furlough scheme.
Figures are readily available. According to the pub industry rag hospitality staffing levels are down 26%, hours worked down 75%. Anecdotally, I know my former employer has offloaded around 50% of its workforce and reduced the hours of those remaining significantly. They are owned by what was once and probably still is the largest hospitality company in the world, owned by some litigious Mormons whose family name the company bears, ergo my avoiding naming them. I wouldn't be surprised if those types of losses were fairly typical across their UK operations.

In the world of stats it is worth posting this one again:

NASA Perseverance Mars Rover full project cost (inc getting it there): $2.7bn (Forbes).

As ever, Tories gonna Tory.

Outsourcing government outsourcing clearly needs to be outsourced to someone more competent than the government! :rolleyes:

My daughter in law is an experienced primary school teacher of 10 years and she has to go into school to teach the children of key workers as normal. Additionally she has to produce online materials with voiceover (mandatory) for the children of non- key workers and be available to monitor and assist them online when help is needed. She also has to produce teaching packs for those children who have no internet access or access to a laptop and get them delivered. Much of that has to be done at home with two young children who are at a different school and need home schooling for part of the time either because their school hours/days are reduced or a child in their class has tested positive and the school has no option but to send them home. So everything has to be done three times. Bear in mind that normally she leaves for school at 7.30 am and gets home around 6pm, works at home on marking etc until 10pm and on Sundays.
Yes, coming across many similar stories in my area too

There's a lot of noise out there with crazy figures - unbelievably shockingly awful if true ..is there something corroborating the figure from govt itself?

Re test & trace, I would like to see more context. Obviously it was always going to cost something to set up, the NHS couldn’t have just taken it on without more staff etc. What should it have cost? What is reasonable? Probably couldn’t have been done without some private sector involvement for tech, back office, manning phones?

TTI was always going to be expensive so seems weird to complain about the sums involved - unless penny-pinching over supporting sick workers to isolate made it a mostly pointless PR exercise. Would be good to know.

Re test & trace, I would like to see more context.

Google it! The whole thing is a shitshow. It would actually be funny if it wasn’t us who were footing the bill for these thieves and idiots. To briefly recap: Apple & Google, who lets be honest know something about IT, announced they were making freely available covid track and trace functionality in iOS, Android etc. The Conservative Party, who lets be honest know something about sticking £bns of our tax revenue in their own and their donors pockets, said “no, we don’t want any of that”, and bunged £bns at disgraced ex-Talk Talk director and wife of Tory MP Dido Harding, who basically pissed it right up the wall, only to eventually give up and return to building a front end on the Apple/Google tech they were offered for free in the first place.

PS From what I can work out the current figure is about £33bn for Test & Trace, but it is hard to find a solid figure as these crooks try to hide everything they do from public scrutiny. Hence the need for the Good Law Project etc.

Re test & trace, I would like to see more context. Obviously it was always going to cost something to set up, the NHS couldn’t have just taken it on without more staff etc. What should it have cost? What is reasonable? Probably couldn’t have been done without some private sector involvement for tech, back office, manning phones?
Yeah, those Microsoft Excel licences aren't cheap.

Google it! The whole thing is a shitshow. It would actually be funny if it wasn’t us who were footing the bill for these thieves and idiots. To briefly recap: Apple & Google, who lets be honest know something about IT, announced they were making freely available covid track and trace functionality in iOS, Android etc. The Conservative Party, who lets be honest know something about sticking £bns of our tax revenue in their own and their donors pockets, said “no, we don’t want any of that”, and bunged £bns at disgraced ex-Talk Talk director and wife of Tory MP Dido Harding, who basically pissed it right up the wall, only to eventually give up and return to building a front end on the Apple/Google tech they were offered for free in the first place.

PS From what I can work out the current figure is about £33bn for Test & Trace, but it is hard to find a solid figure as these crooks try to hide everything they do from public scrutiny. Hence the need for the Good Law Project etc.
That’s not what I asked. I know about that aspect, but what could it have been done for in terms of money; we would have needed to set up some form of infrastructure & employed people to man phones etc. I don’t see how it could have been magicked up for no cost.

There was a wrangle about data with Apple but yes existing tech existed as far as the app was concerned.

Yeah, those Microsoft Excel licences aren't cheap.
Not really an answer is it. I am not defending the shit show just trying to get some context as what it could have been done for, £3bn, £10bn or £10 & existing staff which seems to be the accepted position;)

From April basic rate tax payers will start to lose child benefit because the threshold for that has not risen beyond £50K, unlike the income tax threshold.

Dido Harding/Serco Test & Trace current estimate is £37bn (Huff Post), so I was way underestimating it upthread.

PS NASA Perseverance Rover is still $2.7bn for comparison.

Dido Harding/Serco Test & Trace current estimate is £37bn (Huff Post), so I was way underestimating it upthread.

PS NASA Perseverance Rover is still $2.7bn for comparison.
It’s a completely irrelevant comparison. I would like to know how our T&T system compares with other countries in terms of performance & cost.

The banking crisis was the fault of the banking industry, which is run by the private sector. The massive increase in government debt was to bail these private sector companies out, the alternative would have been a worldwide collapse of the banking system, yes it nearly did happen. How can you blame Labour for a problem caused by the private sector banks?.

Hi Russel, because my understanding is that Blair and Brown enabled it with deregulation so the private corporates could then misbehave. Akin to taking a bunch of children into the sweet shop, giving them the keys and telling them not to be greedy.

If this isn’t correct I’m happy to be corrected

The blame for the banking crash is often (unfairly, IMHO) put at Blair/Brown’s door, usually because it happened ‘on their watch’ so to speak. But the runaway train that became the crash was set in motion by the ‘Big Bang’ banking deregulation which was very much a Tory (Thatcher) project. IIRC plenty of people warned, at the time, that giving banks keys to the sweetshop was not a smart move, but this was airily dismissed at the time. It was, in effect, painted as the 1980s equivalent of’Project Fear’.

advertisement

Back