advertisement

Stack Audio

rvw67

pfm Member
I recently embarked on upgrading my Lp12.I was running a pre-cirkus lp12 with a Roksan Nima/At 33ev/mose/naim stagline(rest of system olive naim) I then recently picked up a nearly new Dynavector 20x2 for a very low price and could not believe how great this cartridge sounded, though I knew it could be improved upon. I had purchased earlier in the year a nearly new cirkus bearing though I was not sure what direction I wanted to go in regards to the sub chassis without breaking the bank. I stumbled upon the Stack Audio website and their Serene sub chassis and I would like to recommend it to anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive upgrade. The construction and finish is top notch and Theo was a pleasure to deal with answering any questions that I had and on top of that mailed the item on a Wednesday and I received it the following day, not bad from the uk to new york and shipping was free of charge.

Yep - I'm going to resurrect my LP12 this Spring and Stack Audio will be a major part of that.
I've the Stack Audio Link I - very impressed with it - and will be upgrading that the V2 version also.

I've also been considering this for my 1989 LP12 which has been boxed up for longer than I'd like to admit to. I'm not really sure what planet Linn are on with the cost of their upgrades and way out of my reach but the Stack offerings are tempting.

My local Stack dealer is Wilkinsons in Lancashire - does anyone have any experience of them with Linn servicing?

I think the only mods I would do to my LP12 are the Karousel & Kore. I do like the look of the stack audio goodies though.

I could get my LP12 fully "stacked up" for under £1000. However I wonder if it'd just be better to get something like a P3 or P6 even?

noun

1. a continuous slow movement from one place to another.

"One day the Linn Sondek sounded great. A few days later however it sounded a bit shite"

Might also have had something to do with the Linn Kans I was using at the time. I was young...

My LP12 sounds consistent, never really understood this ‘drift’. I think it’s psychological;)

It's very possible that is the case Woodface. I had a love/hate relationship with hifi during this time either sounding superb or pretty horrible. Those Linn Kans could be shouty little bastards ;)

I might just get it serviced first and probably a new cartridge (as the K9 is probably not in great shape) and see how I get on from there.

It's very possible that is the case Woodface. I had a love/hate relationship with hifi during this time either sounding superb or pretty horrible. Those Linn Kans could be shouty little bastards ;)

I might just get it serviced first and probably a new cartridge (as the K9 is probably not in great shape) and see how I get on from there.
By all accounts the Karousel is the game changer. I will probably do that & the kore at some point just to bring it up to date. I already have ekos/lingo/linto so will not go up any higher. I know what you mean about hifi though, once you start revealing differences in recordings it is a slippery slope.

I think I prefer CD these days, just more consistent.

My plans are Stack Audio, Karousel and Lingo 4. I did wonder about and alternate power supply - but don't want the faff.

I must admit, I've had a love/hate relationship with my LP12 over the years. Currently, it resides in the office system upstairs:

LP12/Kore/Cirkus/Norton AirPower/Audiomods Classic/Metal bodied 103/Zavfino 1877 Mahone Tonearm Cable

It is sounding pretty good these days and I often wonder how it would have compared to the classic LP12/Ittok LVII/Asask that I used to have!

To those dissing Linns inflated prices I would point out that the majik sub chassis is cheaper than the stack and sounds better.

I assume you listened to them side by side
I assume you are referring to the original Stack Audio sub-chassis

My money is still going to Stack Audio :)

You are welcome to spend your money in whatever way makes you happy,

I was simply pointing out that it wasnt the cheaper option.

We all have different audio goals, whatever gets you closest to yours.

To those that have drunk the Linn Kool-Aid for decades, nothing else will do.

To those with an open mind, and ears, try the back to back demo of otherwise identical decks, one with Serene parts, then tell us what you hear. Gulliford in Exeter provided me with the opportunity. I preferred the Stack Audio. Your milage may vary.

You are welcome to spend your money in whatever way makes you happy,

I was simply pointing out that it wasnt the cheaper option.

We all have different audio goals, whatever gets you closest to yours.

David - you stated "sounds better" - I was just drilling into that. Completely agree - diversity is good.

I have a friend who ran the stack subchassis for a while (he has since ditched it) , I thought it sounded worse than the stock steel chassis in musical terms.

The Majik chassis is a big improvement however, so whilst I havent had them side by side im confident in which will come out on top.

I think aluminium is fundamentally a better material from an energy transfer POV than corian .

If I was in the market for a budget chassis upgrade Id also want to take a look at the mober and greenstreet alternatives.

advertisement

Back