advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

I'm fairly confident the U-300 would've cost a small fortune to tool-up and manufacture.

It's a work of art on many levels :)

I'm fairly confident the U-300 would've cost a small fortune to tool-up and manufacture.

It's a work of art on many levels :)

That amp looks absolute eye candy! Stunning. I guess it sounds pretty amazing too. The casework will be a huge part of the cost for sure and due to the high end cost, one would imagine they use top quality internals during the build. Even at the level of my Nu-Vista, which is a pricey amp for most of us mortals, a lot of parts can be massively upgraded from stock and wow, does it make a difference.

I’m not sure much could actually be upgraded inside the U-300. It was designed as a ‘cost no object’ project that U’nified The designers from Anzus & Raidho, to form Aavik. This was/is their ‘statement’ product. It has class leading digital and RIAA inputs and uses a Pascal MPro2 Class-D module. It outputs 300w@ 8ohms and 600w@ 4 ohms. The noise floor is below -140db apparently.

Seems like a very igneous design to me. Doesn’t uses any transformers or capacitors either. But does use something referred to as ‘Tesla Coils’ and very careful grounding throughout.. it’s worth a read up.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/aavik-u-300-unity-integrated-amplifier/

It’s very interesting to understand the effect and qualities the LS-40 offers on different levels of kit. On my first listen a few months ago, the differences were fairly negligible, with the U-300 it’s profoundly evident and really showcases Colin’s @CJ14 skill and understandings of electronics and cable design.

Can I get on the ls40 tour list please ? Currently using ls25 2m set with Lyngdorf TDAI3400 and Jern 14EH with a REL Stentor III for the sub 85hz.

@CliffB - have you modded your Nu Vista? I've heard there are companies (is it JS Audio?) who are well renowned for their work on MF equipment

Hi, yes, I bought it new and had a it a while before taking it to JS Audio Repairs for a full stage 2 upgrade in January 2020. This included full recapping with Mundorfs that are about 20 plus x the cost of the original Jamicon things, rewiring, WBT speaker terminals and lots more besides. John knows exactly what to replace and what to leave alone. He is very knowledgeable and rather cynical about what goes into lots of so called high-end amps, especially American stuff, which he doesn't seem to rate. He states quite confidently that his upgraded version of MF's good basic designs will give much more expensive amps a very hard time indeed.

The Nu-Vista was an excellent amp by most standards before the work, but after having it done it retained the same character and was just better in every way. The bass got better controlled but much heavier and noise floor dropped. The amp plays in a more balanced, richer way at lower volumes. Perhaps the greatest standout is that the upgraded power supply now delivers effortless dynamics that seem unlimited and unstressed and grip on the speakers is superb, like it became much more powerful. Popping LS-80 onto it was a revelation, as those dynamics just let rip as if there was no longer any restriction or constraint in the delivery. I have certainly heard far more expensive amps that were way less impressive, albeit I haven't heard them in exactly the same system and environment.

I’m not sure much could actually be upgraded inside the U-300. It was designed as a ‘cost no object’ project that U’nified The designers from Anzus & Raidho, to form Aavik. This was/is their ‘statement’ product. It has class leading digital and RIAA inputs and uses a Pascal MPro2 Class-D module. It outputs 300w@ 8ohms and 600w@ 4 ohms. The noise floor is below -140db apparently.

Seems like a very igneous design to me. Doesn’t uses any transformers or capacitors either. But does use something referred to as ‘Tesla Coils’ and very careful grounding throughout.. it’s worth a read up.

Sounds really interesting and a real statement design. Amazing it uses class D amps too...more and more seem to be doing so. Will have a read...not that I can afford one!

Just read the review on the amp; really interesting design concept and engineering. From a practical viewpoint it looks easy to live with too as it fits on a normal rack and isn’t heavy. Power consumption is probably low.

My Nu-Vista is double the weight and needed a custom-sized rack. It’s a hernia-popper to move about, even to dust the rack, so it doesn’t happen often! I do love it though as it sounds fab.

I had my MF308 amps upgraded by JS, definate improvement on already excellent power amps. You’ll never recoup the costs when selling on but if keeping longer term well worth considering. I believe in response to JS that MF themselves started to offer a service to “turbo” their older amps, not sure if they still do. My amp had better Caps and PSU work for about £550/amp. Used them to drive Kef Ref 205 speakers Bi and later Tri Amped.

From a practical viewpoint it looks easy to live with too as it fits on a normal rack and isn’t heavy. Power consumption is probably low.

This was a big concern of mine with the various Vitus options I was looking at. The only other amp I could think of was the Bel Canto ACI-600 but couldn't find one to try (again) back-to-back with the U-300. Both are very similar designs.

T
Well....17 pages and 3 months later, my second impressions: They are awesome :D, also in the context of a full EWA loom the LS-40s move up in my admiration too.
This may be tempting the devil, but did you consider trying LS-80 on your exotic amp?

I know it uses very different circuits to mine but the difference between 40-80 on mine was jaw-dropping. The various threads are so big now I can’t recall if you did try it or considered, then rejected the idea.

I wouldn’t really want to try it due to its size and weight. Maybe if I had floor standers, or LS-80 wasn’t 2 paralleled runs LS-40 (?) in a single braid then it could’ve been a contender. it looks like most the weight/mass of the cable is in the sleeving and web, but I maybe wrong here!?! @CJ14 @ABCaudio, are my assumptions correct?!

I wouldn’t really want to try it due to its size and weight. Maybe if I had floor standers, or LS-80 wasn’t 2 paralleled runs LS-40 (?) in a single braid then it could’ve been a contender. it looks like most the weight/mass of the cable is in the sleeving and web, but I maybe wrong here!?! @CJ14 @ABCaudio, are my assumptions correct?!
Ok thanks for clarifying.

The mass of the cable is really in the twinned runs of LS-40. The sleeve adds a slight amount of bulk but is a woven, quite lightweight material.

Mine is in a position where it would be a domestic issue due to appearance and flexibility, but it works ok like that and it’s a compromise I can accommodate due to the sound!

However, I can imagine that some people’s level of domestic acceptance is different to mine. Whatever I have looks less than ideal going around the fireplace, but I want a Hifi system within the room constraints and that is the consequence;)

advertisement

Back