advertisement

Denafrips dacs

Has anyone directly compared any specific Denafrips DAC to a Qutest? I'm interested in what level of Denafrips would be more revealing than the Qutest.

Has anyone directly compared any specific Denafrips DAC to a Qutest? I'm interested in what level of Denafrips would be more revealing than the Qutest.

I'd be curious to know this as well as I home dem'd a Qutest and whilst imitially impressive wasn't really my cup of tea.

there is a review here in colourful language which implies a very different presentations between the Denafrips and Qutest:

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/denafrips8/6/

I understand there's a difference in "presentation", but I'm not especially interested in that.

Just what Denafrips is actually more revealing than the Qutest (or RME etc)?

Venus, Terminator...???

'Presentation' vs 'Revealing' both subjective terms. If the music is presented differently it may reveal or bring to your attention different aspects of the music.

From the 6 moons review, I took that the Qutest was rather analytical (which is my view of the Chord sound anyway) and could become fatiguing in some systems (with a crisper/bright presentation already). The Denefrips was a warmer more relaxed DAC.... Dare I say it, a more analogue presentation.

The reviewer seemed to prefer the Pontus over the Qutest and in general very impressed with the Denafrips sound and build quality. The writing had its quirks too... all good fun.

@nostromo I know, it's difficult to find the right words.

Let me put my question another way, say I equally liked "crisp" and "analogue" presentations, would the Pontus be a true upgrade on the Qutest/RME or would I have to go Venus or even higher to get a worthwhile all round improvement?

I'm in a similar boat... Only a home demo will answer your question to your satisfaction. Trying to infer from reviews can only take you a short way... which also may not be where you thought you were heading.

I'm looking for a home demo of the Venus, but with the Denafrips business model (which favours the customer on price) makes this more difficult.

Musicraft looking to be able to do home demoes about April
Mac
Hi. I have been wondering whether Musicraft were specific regarding whether they were looking to be able to do home demoes by the beginning of April, or whether they were looking to be able to do those by the end of April.

My Ares II arrived yesterday. Prompt dispatch and delivery, good communication and adequately packed etc, so no complaints there. Build is utilitarian and sturdy if not exactly to my taste, but it's a DAC, so fine... No instructions or manual in box, these can instead be found online via Youtube or the Denafrips site.

This is my first real foray into standalone DACs and not without some skepticism, so I chose the Ares II given its architecture and purported sound characteristics, as well as the fact that I can likely move it along promptly given reputation and internet buzz.

As I mentioned up thread, to date I was using the Node 2i for DAC duties, into a Yamaha A-S2100 and Harbeths. On connection, and subjectively to these ears, a difference in presentation is apparent. The Ares II does sound perhaps more linear sounding, with a mid-range type emphasis, this I believe when it was set to OS mode. However, with time I decided this emphasis is not well suited to my system, being somewhat overly additive given the nature of some other components. Also, I can't say it sounded decidedly analog-like - for me, the presentation was still undoubtedly digital.

I switched modes briefly, but haven't spent enough time to gain any meaningful impressions - suffice to say it seems the overarching character of the DAC remains intact. Also, I suspect it may give up a tad in detail, but I'll need to do more serious listening to be sure.

Of course, I'll live with it a little longer and see how things pan out.

Herb Reichert's review of the Ares II in Stereophile noted "The sound in OS-Fast was kind of forward, rough, and ringy, with sharpish, sometimes glaring highs. I did not linger in OS-Fast."

So, your Ares may be set to the 'Fast' filter - well worth trying the 'Slow' filter, which to my ears has a more 'natural' sound. The DAC's character will change for better and worse as it acquires hours of use, and my Ares II only settled down completely after 250 hours of constant playing. Now it's very lovely indeed, in OS mode with slow filter engaged.

My Ares II arrived yesterday. Prompt dispatch and delivery, good communication and adequately packed etc, so no complaints there. Build is utilitarian and sturdy if not exactly to my taste, but it's a DAC, so fine... No instructions or manual in box, these can instead be found online via Youtube or the Denafrips site.

This is my first real foray into standalone DACs and not without some skepticism, so I chose the Ares II given its architecture and purported sound characteristics, as well as the fact that I can likely move it along promptly given reputation and internet buzz.

As I mentioned up thread, to date I was using the Node 2i for DAC duties, into a Yamaha A-S2100 and Harbeths. On connection, and subjectively to these ears, a difference in presentation is apparent. The Ares II does sound perhaps more linear sounding, with a mid-range type emphasis, this I believe when it was set to OS mode. However, with time I decided this emphasis is not well suited to my system, being somewhat overly additive given the nature of some other components. Also, I can't say it sounded decidedly analog-like - for me, the presentation was still undoubtedly digital.

I switched modes briefly, but haven't spent enough time to gain any meaningful impressions - suffice to say it seems the overarching character of the DAC remains intact. Also, I suspect it may give up a tad in detail, but I'll need to do more serious listening to be sure.

Of course, I'll live with it a little longer and see how things pan out.

advertisement

Back