advertisement

Naim CDI....is this the transport failing or is it the puck?

Hi…have a CDI and love it…although lately it’s been missing a beat or two. It can be improved by trying to re-arrange the 3 rubber o rings around the periphery of the puck.
The question I’m asking is “am I seeing the beginning of the end” of the CDI or is it just the puck that’s the issue? I’m on my second in 6 months!
I have too many CDs just to give them up and if Naim made a commensurate new version of that CD player I would probably just go and get it…
Help needed and thanks…
PS. I tried to clean the transport system and the white ring but it seems to have made it worse....it’s slipping badly and now unlistenable.
Any suggestions?

Lots of good sugestions above; also running a CDI from new, and had problems with the puck, principally near the end of the disc. spoke to Naim, (must be about 25 years ago) the tech advice was to put some blobs of bluetack on the underside of the puck, it did work, but a bit of a chore. 12 years overseas, then came back to same issue.. Sent the unit off to Witch Hat, for a 'refurbish' and digital outs ..coax... also a new puck for £10/12 . Now fine, and good enough for my hearing!!
I bought the CDI around 1990 after reading a Gramaphone review, which concluded it was the best analogue sounding CD player around.....an emotional decision that I have lived with quite happily since. Just counted up on my fingers it's over 30 years old, bl..dy hell.

I bought the CDI around 1990 after reading a Gramaphone review, which concluded it was the best analogue sounding CD player around.....an emotional decision that I have lived with quite happily since. Just counted up on my fingers it's over 30 years old, bl..dy hell.

How cool is that? I owned a CDI in the late nineties for a couple of years. It's the coolest of all the hifi-stuff I have owned still to date. I have very fond memories of my system at that time (CDI, 102, HiCap, 180, Intro mkI's) and I am sure I would still love it today!

I own a CDS / CDPS when I bought in early 2017 it came with 3 pucks, top Hat with one rubber ring, a second puck with 2 rubber rings and a clamp 5. I use the top Hat with 2 rubber rings it never misses a beat only thing I find it doesn’t like random selections with the remote or using the buttons on the player.
I can live with that as it is a big step up on my previous player a 3.5 / Hi Cap.

Regards,

Martin

Lots of good sugestions above; also running a CDI from new, and had problems with the puck, principally near the end of the disc. spoke to Naim, (must be about 25 years ago) the tech advice was to put some blobs of bluetack on the underside of the puck, it did work, but a bit of a chore. 12 years overseas, then came back to same issue.. Sent the unit off to Witch Hat, for a 'refurbish' and digital outs ..coax... also a new puck for £10/12 . Now fine, and good enough for my hearing!!
Yes I think my CDI is around that age...I bought it new in about 1993 and used to rock my daughter to sleep with it so it has a lot of sentimental value. I will send it of to which hat for them to look at. It was there last June for a service and was sounding superb.
In the meantime I have bought a CDX2 and must say I’m quite impressed. I get the impression it is better than the CDI but not by a huge amount. I again get the impression it’s better in nearly all areas but incrementally....not a massive jump. But as it’s not an A/B comparison it’s difficult to remember what the CDI sounded like.
Anyway....happy at the moment as I have something to play CDs on!
Thank you all for your suggestions and can tell you that most if not all of them were tried out.
Many thanks.

Pigs have cloven hoofs, so I am sure it makes putting that puck on rather difficult and fiddly!:)

I did spin the puck inside the CD3.5 a few times. First time I took the player to the dealer for extraction. Turned out that shaking it out worked just as well :0)

advertisement

Back